Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2017 9:05:59 PM EDT
What defines match grade.  When I buy plinking rounds my goal is 30cent per round with free shipping and no tax.  I pay$1.25 or more for .223 match grade rounds.  So what do I get for that money?  Of the four components of a round, bullet, case primer and powder are they close to identical?  Is every round exactly the same weight and length?  So what makes a match grade round better and worth the price?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Everything is as close to as possible on all rounds.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The difference is on paper.  Tighter groups due to tighter quality control on every component.

Quality control costs money.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Match grade is not for plinking. It's for snipers, professional target shooters, long range hunters, and those who just want to see how accurate their rifle is. If your a military or police sniper, a couple dollars a round is not much for what it gives you.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:00:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The difference is on paper.  Tighter groups due to tighter quality control on every component.

Quality control costs money.
View Quote
Exactly.  But I guess this question is best put in the reloading forum.  What I want to do is find out what makes a match grade round and double down on those qualities and create my own match grade rounds.  If I knew what the key areas are it would save me a lot of experimentation.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:27:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:36:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Molon did a write up on this. I think the bottom line was a thirty shot group with a mean radius of 0.29" at 100 yards
View Quote

That's insane. His knowledge and ability to shoot are mind boggling.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:40:29 AM EDT
[#9]
OP:

There is no specific definition of what a "match" cartridge is.  
Now most Military rounds, including the various Match rounds have accuracy requirements but to be honest, they are quite generous.

Next:
What are your requirements for the ammunition you want to make?
What I mean is this:  I shoot a lot of 223 bullets out to 600yds for Service Rifle shooting.  What I need in a cartridge is different than if you are only shooting 100yds.

Components:
1.  Quality bullet.  One that is seated for chamber.
2.  Powder- one you've found works the best for your rifle.
3.  The case:  Reasonable case prep will get you there.  
4.  Primer:  there are differences that show up.  But tune them with your load and be done.  

These are listed in diminishing returns......  ie. the bullet has the most effect, followed by the powder etc.......

YMMV

PS........... Do you have an accurate enough rifle to take advantage of the "match" ammo?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the input.  To date all of my AR shooting is 100yards and in with iron sights and red dots.  For longer distances I have a .308 bolt gun.  I plan to add a match grade barrel to my rock river arms 20inch with a Bushnell ar optic that I just bought.  I want to see how far I can push it out.  I want to use the characteristics of match grade rounds to develop the loads that I will use.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:52:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input.  To date all of my AR shooting is 100yards and in with iron sights and red dots.  For longer distances I have a .308 bolt gun.  I plan to add a match grade barrel to my rock river arms 20inch with a Bushnell ar optic that I just bought.  I want to see how far I can push it out.  I want to use the characteristics of match grade rounds to develop the loads that I will use.
View Quote

Ok..... well I gave you my 2% already..............

Reload the GOOD bullets.... for distance:  75...77's pick a good one.  I use the 77's either SMK or TMK- can't go wrong.  I use the 80SMK too but they require hand loading into the chamber  (not magazine length).  Those bullets will easily do around 2700 fps so for reloading.......get your ES as low as you can.  (That is where a good powder comes in).
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:17:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ok..... well I gave you my 2% already..............

Reload the GOOD bullets.... for distance:  75...77's pick a good one.  I use the 77's either SMK or TMK- can't go wrong.  I use the 80SMK too but they require hand loading into the chamber  (not magazine length).  Those bullets will easily do around 2700 fps so for reloading.......get your ES as low as you can.  (That is where a good powder comes in).
View Quote
Thanks for your input.  That was my biggest takeaway from this thread.  I am now looking for those heavy bullets as my first match grade component and work on the rest as I get some good data.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#14]
It's been covered but there is not a definition of match, match grade or national match.  Much of what you are paying for in terms of "match" ammunition is that the ammunition includes a match bullet, the components for that ammunition are from the same lot(s) and the ammunition was loaded on the same machine under the supervision of a senior technician. Compare this to standard ammunition where several lots of components might be used in several machines to produce one production lot.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Best definition yet.  I guess that is why a hand loader with meticulous attention to detail can beat the expensive results of match grade commercial ammo. Thanks
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top