Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2017 12:56:04 PM EDT
(I put Mk262 because the 77gr Razor Core is IMI's Mk262 equivalent)

We always get gel tests at short range.  I guess to show what would happen at self defense distances.  This is a pretty cool test of what
happens at longer engagement distances that soldiers might encounter.

https://youtu.be/P6z-jkJaAZ4

I've always just taken as a given that M855/M193 that didn't fragment would make an ice pick type wound.  The test shows that it's not that simple
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm disappointed there weren't bullet pics.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm disappointed there weren't bullet pics.
View Quote

The ones that exited looked more or less undamaged but looks like they would still do quite a bit of damage. I certainly wouldn't want to get hit by one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]
neat...it tumbled through the gel.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems strange to me that their version of Mk262 stopped at 12"....
Mk262 (2650fps) at 350m out of a 16" will be approximately 1860fps which is way below the fragmentation threshold.
Here is a video of BH Mk262 at 2050fps, simulated: approx. at 275m

In my linked video, it shows the bullet completely intact, and went through all 16" of gel.
The bullet still stumbles and created a large cavity, and I'm sure would be deadly out to 300m or more, but I don't think it will stop dead at 12" like in IMI's video since both RazorCore and BH uses SMK bullet.

It seems like the IMI video is off to me. Even the audio of the gunshot seems too quick for 350m.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Mk262 (2650fps) at 350m out of a 16" will be approximately 1860fps which is way below the fragmentation threshold.
Here is a video of BH Mk262 at 2050fps, approx. at 275m

In my linked video, it shows the bullet completely intact, and went through all 16" of gel.
The bullet still stumbles and created a large cavity, and I'm sure would be deadly out to 300m or more, but I don't think it will stop dead at 12" like in IMI's video since both RazorCore and BH uses SMK bullet.

It seems like the IMI video is off to me. Even the audio of the gunshot seems too quick for 350m.
View Quote

Where in the video that you posted does it state the gel was at 275m. I saw at the beginning of the video mention 21 feet.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here is a video of BH Mk262 at 2050fps, approx. at 275m

View Quote

in this video (of the same footage) they label it as being fired from a 20" barrel.  And your video is using ClearGel which has been proven to show greater penetration than real 10% gel

https://youtu.be/LDvQ0P9ffkM
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Where in the video that you posted does it state the gel was at 275m. I saw at the beginning of the video mention 21 feet.
View Quote

Well, I guess I worded wrong, but the test is not actually shot at 275m.
Basically the 7.5" barrel provided a simulated 275m gel test
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

in this video (of the same footage) they label it as being fired from a 20" barrel.  And your video is using ClearGel which has been proven to show greater penetration than real 10% gel

https://youtu.be/LDvQ0P9ffkM
View Quote

I do notice it is 20" and the video I linked is ClearGel, but if you do more digging, you will see the velocity from a 20" at 350m is approximately 2000fps.
2000fps is the same velocity as the one video I linked.
Going through 16" of ClearGel and 6" of water filled Milk Jug, does not equal to complete stop at 12" in 10% FBI spec gel.

I've also seen videos showing the difference between ClearGel and 10% FBI Gel is not that different, at about 10-15% more penetration.
People that did the tests also mentioned the gel will behave differently base on caliber... but yes, typically about 10-15% more penetration.

As for M855, here is a video done by the same person I linked previously.
The result is pretty impressive.
M855 in 7.5" and 10.5" (simulated 250m and 200m for a 16")

FYI, I am not trying to argue, but the test done by IMI seems strange to me.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#9]
simulating distance by lowering a rounds velocity will not properly take into account the yaw angle of the bullet when it hits. 

Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Sure, but I choose not to view that one single test, by IMI, who made the ammo, and did many advertisements on the RazorCore, to be the primary source of information.
I am very much stocked on Mk262 clones and I like the round a lot, but I have my doubts when the round fragmented at 350m, when reliable fragment distance is ~200m going at 2200-2300fps.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sure, but I choose not to view that one single test, by IMI, who made the ammo, and did many advertisements on the RazorCore, to be the primary source of information.
I am very much stocked on Mk262 clones and I like the round a lot, but I have my doubts when the round fragmented at 350m, when reliable fragment distance is ~200m going at 2200-2300fps.
View Quote

it didn't fragment
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
it didn't fragment
View Quote

At 1:40, I see a shrapnel looking thing at 12" mark, it probably fragmented.
You can also see the shrapnel stopped right after a large fragmented cavity area.
I doubt the bullet is one piece, as it usually would go beyond the large cavity.

Hard to confirm since there is not enough information to be certain.

I would like to see someone else do the same 350m or 300m test before I believe.
FYI, I really do want to believe at 350m the Mk262 can perform exactly like as shown in vid.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

At 1:40, I see a shrapnel looking thing at 12" mark, it probably fragmented.
You can also see the shrapnel stopped right after a large fragmented cavity area.
I doubt the bullet is one piece, as it usually would go beyond the large cavity.

Hard to confirm since there is not enough information to be certain.

I would like to see someone else do the same 350m or 300m test before I believe.
FYI, I really do want to believe at 350m the Mk262 can perform exactly like as shown in vid.
View Quote

the bullet looks like it's flattened out or maybe broken but there are no fragments in the wound channel
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#14]
21' is not 275-300m

Provide a real time and distance video of same test that is useful, this really is not. Simulation = Best Programed Guess
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top