Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/17/2017 9:54:07 PM EDT
I bought a bunch of this ammo today. I've never seen any before in this packaging but I couldn't pass it up for the price. If nothing else it will be cheap practice ammo even if I can only shoot it in my single 1/9 gun. It's curiously marked "not for resale" and it appears to be older packaging. Maybe it was surplus department ammo possibly? Is this the same as the AE 50 grain varmint load? Should be good for blasting coyotes I'd think.

Anyone familiar with this ammo?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:23:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like the stuff Walmart used to sell in 200 rd. value packs. The packaging looks the same. Accuracy was good, but not on par with the Federal 50 gr varmint tip.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:33:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Center and upper right @ 100yds.  SR556 1-9"....not an expert shooter by any means....

Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there a "Product number" stamped on the box ?

And I am trying to figure out why Fed. would produce some 50gr varmint bullet ammo not intended for resale.
View Quote

It's older ammo that's been around a while. The not for resale marking is what made me think it might have been old LE ammo. 15-20 years ago lightweight JHP is what a lot of departments used in their issued rifles.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I think it's part of a value pack. The individual boxes weren't for sale. Sold as 200rd pack.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think it's part of a value pack. The individual boxes weren't for sale. Sold as 200rd pack.
View Quote

We're the value packs even around that long ago?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

We're the value packs even around that long ago?
View Quote

At least 12 years
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Smash has it correct.  10 of those boxes were in a blue Federal power shok box with 200 round Federal value pack across the top.  They sold at Walmart.  I still have a few mags loaded with it.  It was good Federal brass.  I thought is was more accurate than the WWB ammo Walmart sold at the same time.  Also I don't think it is JHP but some of the first OTM type ammo that I remember.  Made by being drawn from the bullet base instead of the tip like FMJ ammo.   David
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Smash has it correct.  10 of those boxes were in a blue Federal power shok box with 200 round Federal value pack across the top.  They sold at Walmart.  I still have a few mags loaded with it.  It was good Federal brass.  I thought is was more accurate than the WWB ammo Walmart sold at the same time.  Also I don't think it is JHP but some of the first OTM type ammo that I remember.  Made by being drawn from the bullet base instead of the tip like FMJ ammo.   David
View Quote

It is JHP, not OTM.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 5:12:44 AM EDT
[#11]
They are correct on the walmart value pack part. I have some somewhere that I will never use. I bought one of those packs to plink once and the 2nd or 3rd round the bullet got pushed so,far back into the case there was powder everywhere. Never used it again
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#12]
The ammo is from Walmart. I have 2 200 rds value packs on my reloading bench as I type.
Bought 10 years ago. Paid less than $50 per value pack.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I only have a couple boxes left, bought it for about half the current cost of XM193, many moons ago. This was fairly accurate ammo for plinking in my experience,, much better than M193. Never had any problems with this ammo, I would buy more if the price was right.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top