Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/9/2017 10:34:56 PM EDT
So, before I get beat upside the head for purchasing FM 556, I admit I made a mistake. I have found and reviewed as many links as I could about their risk and quality. I feel grateful and bothered after reading these links. First I am bothered that I didn't find this before I ordered from them. Well, chalk it up to growing pains. I do feel happy though that I only spent about $65 for two hundred rounds. And I am glad that I didn't buy thousands of rounds (200 only). So now the technical questions. 

1. How bad would it be to pull the bullets, empty the powder, inspect primers and cases,measure and reload to my specs (I am going by  Hornady).
2. Would it be safe to use their powder, or buy new?
3. What am I or what specifically should I be looking for on the cases and primers? I know a correct seating of the primer (I only have used CCI) but what else most specifically?
4.If the cases are not perfect to my sight and check, I know I will throw it out, but if it is good, could I just get new powder and or primers? What are your thoughts?

I did not see this topic anywhere else, so I wanted to ask. If this is not supposed to be here, please forgive my mistake. If this is foolish, just tell me I bought a $65 paper weight. Thanks ahead of time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 1:35:15 AM EDT
[#1]
You cant do worst than FM.

There is nothing wrong with pulling the bullets and reloading it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You cant do worst than FM.

There is nothing wrong with pulling the bullets and reloading it.
View Quote

That was the sickening feeling I got when I realized that for $65 I could have had some decent HD ammo for my 556 . So the ammo is bad, but do you think that the casings they use are decent? Or should I be concerned about those as well? Thank you so much for your help in this.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I've reloaded FM reman brass, it's fine.

I've shot hundreds of round of reman FM btw..no kaboom.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 12:24:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've reloaded FM reman brass, it's fine.

I've shot hundreds of round of reman FM btw..no kaboom.
View Quote

Ok. Well, that makes me feel better on reloading them. Should I reuse their powder, or get new? How about the primer? If it would be best for me to change everything out, then I may just do that and purchase 70 gr Hornady TAP or something similar (thoughts would be most appreciated) for Home Defense. Right now I am reading some older archived files about it, but I am not sure about everything the gentleman named MOLON is saying. It seems he is recommending the TAP but then right now I am reading something about a GMX. I guess if I am going to take the time to unload, I may want to make it right. Am I off on this or could I just reload using all the components that are here and when I use it then reload as I wish. Thank you for your help as well. I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#5]
If you could tell a bad bullet from a good just by looking at it, you may have a very good career going as a ammo inspector.

My advice is to simply dump everything.

Or...

Just go shoot it and not buy it again.

No need to over think it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you could tell a bad bullet from a good just by looking at it, you may have a very good career going as a ammo inspector.

My advice is to simply dump everything.

Or...

Just go shoot it and not buy it again.

No need to over think it.
View Quote
I guess I should say that I am looking for any brass separation from the head and the base, any dents, or misshaped sides. Would those be common issue signs? I had thought about breaking them down and getting rid of it, but I guess I am also torn by trying to salvage it as well.

Maybe my fear is unfounded about shooting it, I just don't want to see my gun go off and Ruger not repair it considering it is reman stuff. Am I overthinking still or do I have a valid concern?
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 4:58:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Im in the same boat, but I have 2000 rounds of .223. Question is that I was just going to weight them. Do you think that would be good enough? If so what are the tolerances and how many grams should a 55 grain be? Im getting 3
grams right now on everyone I have looked at or are the tolerances closer then the scale she uses to weigh her food which is one gram?
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:05:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't over think it.

I personally would shoot it as normal then reload as normal. Chances are very good nothing bad will happen.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#10]
200 round of Freedom Munitions 5.56?  Just shoot the stuff and quit overthinking it.  I've never had a single issue with FM ammo, other than it's not particularly accurate, and would buy from them again.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There are 15.4 grains in a gram, so you're seeing a 45gr variance. That's insane.

Let's not turn this into a reloading thread, ok? We have a forum for that (on the Armory board).
View Quote
Thanks Eric802. I didn't see that before this. How do I transfer this over to that thread? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You'd have to start a new thread in Reloading.
View Quote
Ok. Thanks.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top