Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2017 6:05:53 PM EDT
I have a question about PPU 55gr SP ammo. Anyone have any idea how it stacks up against Gold Dot 55 gr? I know Gold Dots are bonded, but will the PPU do a good job for self defense? Any idea on penetration? I have some XM193 and Gold Dot 55 gr now, but found a sale on the PPU saving $3.00 a box over the Gold Dot. I have a 1:9 twist barrel.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:09:49 AM EDT
[#1]
It's just a standard 55 gr sp.

I have a friend who's used 55 gr Hornady sp for many years to hunt whitetail and he gets great results with neck shots.

You get what you pay for, so bear that in mind. I'd personally stick with Gold Dots for HD/SD.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Good quality ammo that works well and reliably is what you need, and should use. $3 for bonded is worth the price difference.
PPU isn't bad ammo. It should be run for several magazines to see if it works for you and your rifle.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:59:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Based on gel tests the regular, non-bonded 55gr soft points penetrate 10-11 inches in gel with a 16'' barrel, no matter what brand. Much less than bonded soft points, but they do expand almost immediately.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top