Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/20/2016 11:07:19 AM EDT
Im looking for some Home Defense rounds for my 300 blk with 8" barrel. Something obviousl with not a lot of penetration. Living in a townhouse.....

I'm not running a can. But open to subs and supers
Wouldn't mind the extra quietness of subs even if I'm not shooting with a can

Go!
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Try this thread. It is on page 3.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't bother with Subs with or without a can.  Hard to beat the Barnes ttsx 110g
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Just FYI, if a man is no thicker than a deer the Barnes 110gr will sail right through (doing great damage along the way). It's a terrific round, but I wouldn't count on it not making it into the neighbor's house.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 1:02:33 AM EDT
[#4]
110 TTSX
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Im looking for some Home Defense rounds for my 300 blk with 8" barrel. Something obviousl with not a lot of penetration. Living in a townhouse.....

I'm not running a can. But open to subs and supers
Wouldn't mind the extra quietness of subs even if I'm not shooting with a can

Go!
View Quote

subscribed
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
110 TTSX
View Quote

Anybody have this in stock?

Sold out everywhere I've checked.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anybody have this in stock?

Sold out everywhere I've checked.
View Quote

How about here:

Barnes 110gr
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Barnes  for supers
Lehigh for subs.....Its only money...

To maybe keep from pass throughs, Im thinking for home defense, the lehigh 194 may be a good option.
Not cheap, but whats your life worth?
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How about here:

Barnes 110gr
View Quote

Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#10]
8" Barrel with no suppressor? Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

This is the Ammo I have loaded up for HD

I'd highly recommend a suppressor in the future.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This is the Ammo I have loaded up for HD

I'd highly recommend a suppressor in the future.
View Quote

Is that actually a Hornady Super Shock Tip? Description doesn't even say. I like the SST, would this be a good round for deer?

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Barnes  for supers

To maybe keep from pass throughs, Im thinking for home defense, the lehigh 194 may be a good option.
View Quote

Im looking hard at these loaded by underwood. A little hotter than the lehigh load for some extra velocity in my 8".

Theyre expensive sure, but the test are extremely impressive and will probably be my new HD round for the same reasoning of the OP.

Nice ballistics, shouldn't over penetrate, and bearable without a suppressor. Exactly what the OP is asking for.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Im looking hard at these loaded by underwood. A little hotter than the lehigh load for some extra velocity in my 8".

Theyre expensive sure, but the test are extremely impressive and will probably be my new HD round for the same reasoning of the OP.

Nice ballistics, shouldn't over penetrate, and bearable without a suppressor. Exactly what the OP is asking for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Barnes  for supers

I havent shot them either,  but as a reloader they are on the list for sure.

I have shot a bunch of the Barnes 110gr and its my "go to" for 300 blk supers.
I have NOT tried them in the 10 barrel, but no reason to think they wouldnt still be GREAT.

Not cheap but nothing worth having ever is.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#14]
It is imperative to the 300blk shooter to understand practically every .308 projo is designed to perform at .308 speeds.

Even in a 16" the 300 isn't moving that quick. A bullet with a low frag threshold is your only safe bet and the truth is theres almost none out there.

If I were you I'd look at blk specific bullets like the 110gr black tip Barnes, 135gr Sierra Varminter or 125gr TMK.

Expecting a .308 bullet to open at .300blk speeds is like expecting a .357 mag JHP to perform at .38 speeds, or a 124gr Gold Dot to perform at .380 speeds. It just doesn't really work like that.

The other issue is people don't understand how short barrels affect velocity. Yes 300 burns it's powder in 9" for SUBS but supers gain MV (to an extent) with bbl length just like every other round.

Velocity is good. It's what makes bullet do what they do.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I use barnes 110 tac-tx out of my 9" barrel with a can.  It's a great bullet but I don't have to worry too much about over penetration.   I've loaded up some 110 varmageddon rounds that are pretty nasty in milk jugs at 50 yards.  From what I've seen you will get enough penetration on a bad guy, but it will penetrate less than the barnes bullet.   I've shot deer with the barnes and a 125 sst and both preformed well but passed clean through.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Just put an order in for some Barnes, 194g max expansion and others, but I'd like to try the Lehigh 115g CC as its suppose to fragment and not over penetrate.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just put an order in for some Barnes, 194g max expansion and others, but I'd like to try the Lehigh 115g CC as its suppose to fragment and not over penetrate.
View Quote

Gorilla loads the 110 Lehigh cc bullet, last I checked Vizards ammo had them for $1 a round which is a bit cheaper than the Barnes black tips. I planned on trying them until I realized I've been sitting on 900 rounds of black tips.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#18]
What kind of construction do those 194 grain bullets have? Typically the heavier bullets will penetrate better (except for barriers) due to a higher sectional density. Do these bullets in the .300 go so slow that the sectional density doesn't really help much?
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What kind of construction do those 194 grain bullets have? Typically the heavier bullets will penetrate better (except for barriers) due to a higher sectional density. Do these bullets in the .300 go so slow that the sectional density doesn't really help much?
View Quote

The lehigh 194g maximum expansion was constructed for the 300 and to expand at low velocities when hitting a liquid medium.

Long video, but it describes the bullet in the first few minutes. Appears a 1/7 twist is needed.

Loading 300 Blk - ep 30 - 194gr Lehigh Defense Maximum Expansion

MAC, even though he seems to be a Lehigh shill, has some ballistics testing with excellent results out of a 9" barrel.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top