Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2016 8:38:15 PM EDT
Just stepped into the realm for 300blk. Ordered my 8" upper. Need suggestions on ammo that performs well with this barrel length..., inexpensive target ammo and self defense loads..

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck on the inexpensive ammo. I run a 7.5" barrel and have used MAGTECH 125 gr, PNW 147 gr and Remington 123 gr all with no problems.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 11:15:53 PM EDT
[#2]
You won't get much better than Barnes 110gr TAC-TX for defense loads. My cheapo 8" CMMG barreled franken build holds 1.3MOA with this ammo and averages a bit over 2100fps for velocity. Some say the BH 125gr TMK is just as good but that bullet has a higher expansion floor, meaning less effective range.

As far as for practice and subs, there are several good options out there and the caliber is gaining more traction all the time. If we get HPA through, the sky's the limit for this round. I wouldn't be surprised to see $.30 factory loads within a couple years.

Here's my archived .300BLK ammo test from earlier this year. link
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 9:31:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had an 8" for about a year now. CMMG barrel. I haven't found a load that doesn't run. The load seems to be very well thought and just works.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Only built my 10" pistol a few months ago, but so far it is rock solid and likes everything.

S&B ammo can be had for $11 to 14 when you can find it in stock, including 125 gr, 147 gr and 200 gr subsonic loads.  I have some of the 220s but have not yet tried them.  Word is these are of mediocre accuracy, but functional.
Rem UMC can be had for $15 - 18 and I have found it to shoot quite well (bot 120 gr super and 220 gr sub).  They are in Barnes brass and apparently actually loaded by Barnes.
Handloads with 150 gr FMU pulls for 30 M2 had been good and cheap for me.  My pistol even cycles loads using 110 gr M1 Carbine bullets (though I understand this is not usually the case).

I also have a Ruger American bolt rifle in 300 which I have not yet taken out to the range.

Rob
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top