Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/26/2016 12:55:39 PM EDT
I want one of these uppers for hog hunting or whatever.  I know ammo is cheaper in 7.62 but the .300 takes AR mags. Anybody here have both who has a preference?
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I would consider 6.8 SPC very seriously, out classes both of the above cartridges easily.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are set on choosing between 7.62x39 and 300BLK (and not going for another caliber as mentioned above), 300BLK is the way to go, especially if you reload.   The ballistics of the 300BLK are very close, and at range a bit better than 7.62x39.  You also have access to a much larger assortment of bullets for reloading, including some great options in the 110 and 125gr class for hunting.

Add to that the 300BLK uses standard AR components that are common with 5.56, means you don't have to worry about unique spare bolt parts, hard to find mags, etc.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#3]
300 blackout no question
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you reload? It makes a difference.

Do you intend to buy a silencer? It makes a difference.

Steel case ammo is cheap and relatively plentiful for 7.62x39mm. Finding boxer primed brass for reloading 7.62x39mm is harder than it used to be. PMC and IMI brass is good but rarely available for purchase. When it appears you need to buy it in quantity for future use.

7.62x39mm is more powerful and a better choice for deer or hog hunting of the two. Magazines usually need to be tweaked to get them running reliably. Metal removal from the front by the feed ramps helps.

.300 BO accepts a wide range of common .308 bullets depending on your intended use and will give you a lot of reloading options. 5.56mm bolts are stronger than 7.62x39mm bolts because of the simple fact that they have more metal surrounding the case head. The only thing you need to have is a new barrel. .300 BO is quiet when shooting subsonic ammo through a silencer. Get a pistol gas system if you want heavy bullets to function the action.

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I have both and for hogs and deer, I will take the BO, hands down, put a pistol length barrel on an AR upper and just swap when you need to use the BO easy to reload, easy to make your own cases, just a lot more convenient for the AR shooter.

For pig hunting, it is one of the better rounds to be brought out and the ability to easy run suppressed makes it a favorite.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I want one of these uppers for hog hunting or whatever.  I know ammo is cheaper in 7.62 but the .300 takes AR mags. Anybody here have both who has a preference?
View Quote

do you have a can? If not get the 7.62x39.

The only reason to go with the 300 is if you suppress it or have a specific need.

If you want a cheaper plinking round and a decent hunting round get the 7.62
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless you are making long shots, I'd go with 300blk.  Lots of benefits with very few detractions.  The ONLY reasons to go 308 is for longer shots or you don't reload.

If you reload, you will save $ on powder as a side benefit of 300blk.  Also, with the $ you save on buying a whole .308 AR you can get a dillon 650xl because all you need to go 300blk is a dedicated upper to swap onto one of your 5.56.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#8]
If ar or suppressed, blackout.

If soviet block, 762
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless you are making long shots, I'd go with 300blk.  Lots of benefits with very few detractions.  The ONLY reasons to go 308 is for longer shots or you don't reload.

If you reload, you will save $ on powder as a side benefit of 300blk.  Also, with the $ you save on buying a whole .308 AR you can get a dillon 650xl because all you need to go 300blk is a dedicated upper to swap onto one of your 5.56.
View Quote

Did you read the thread title?
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for 300blk for the reasons listed above
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Steel case ammo is cheap and relatively plentiful for 7.62x39mm. Finding boxer primed brass for reloading 7.62x39mm is harder than it used to be. PMC and IMI brass is good but rarely available for purchase. When it appears you need to buy it in quantity for future use.

7.62x39mm is more powerful and a better choice for deer or hog hunting of the two. Magazines usually need to be tweaked to get them running reliably. Metal removal from the front by the feed ramps helps.

.300 BO accepts a wide range of common .308 bullets depending on your intended use and will give you a lot of reloading options. 5.56mm bolts are stronger than 7.62x39mm bolts because of the simple fact that they have more metal surrounding the case head. The only thing you need to have is a new barrel. .300 BO is quiet when shooting subsonic ammo through a silencer. Get a pistol gas system if you want heavy bullets to function the action.

View Quote

Its actually not that much different than 300 BLK.   Here is some energy comparisons I've done with a 16" bbl.   Table values are energy in lb-ft.   Note that a 125Gr Nosler BT from the 300BLK is pretty darn close to the same energy as a 123gr FMJ from a 7.62x39, which is comparable to loadings with soft point hunting bullets for the 7.62x39.

A 125gr bullet for hunting is in my opinion the sweet spot for the 300BLK.   While no in the same energy range as a full power rifle round, inside of 150 yds it works very well on medium game like deer and hogs.

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I have both.

7.62x39 123 does about 2400 from a 16"
300blk 125 does about 2250 from a 16"

Steel cased plinking ammo for the x39 is cheaper than I can reload 300blk with jacketed bullets. It's close but still cheaper.

My take, dedicated supersonic hunting rifle, x39 gets the nod. Reloading is a nil factor for performance, better performance can be had from both than factory ammo. Reloading cost is a different story, x39 requires not as easily available .310 projectiles and new brass is expensive and once fired isn't regularly available and more tha .223 converted brass.  For subsonic/and or short barreled the 300blk wins easily. I use the x39 as a dedicated steel cased blaster. I have a 16" 300blk Handi rifle and a 10.5" SBR. Needless to say, I shoot the x39 more for ease and 300blk for supressed fun, the Handi rifle is ridiculously quiet. I use the 16" Handi rifle also for hunting, but it would be cool in X39 also.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#13]
If you've got a can, 300blk. If not 7.62x39. If you have a can and reload, take a look at .277 wolverine.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I have reloaded both cartridges for many years. I prefer the 762 since it is a much more forgiving cartridge.

Since the 300 can use the same mag and bolt as the 556/223, accidentally inserting a BO cartridge into a 556/223 rifle is a potential problem.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#15]
If you're the type of person who shoots up 300 rounds every time they go to the range, that'd be $150-$200  for your 300 blackout vs like $65 for the 7.62x39.  I believe both rounds are capable of killing a deer or hog out to a couple hundred yards.  I have both and can say without a doubt my 7.62x39 guns see a lot more action.  If you're not gonna SBR and suppress it or load your own ammo, I don't see much point for the 300 blackout.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#16]
.300 Blk buy a barrel and you're done.
Ammo costs more than 7.63x39 unless you reload.

7.62x39 Buy a barrel bolt and magazines.  
Bulk ammo is cheap. Bullet selection not quite as good as the .300. Reloading takes tougher to get or expensive brass. Magazines are iffy compared to standard AR mags and may require tweaking to work. Bulk ammo is cheap.

6.5 Grendel Buy a barrel bolt and magazines.
Bulk ammo is not as cheap as 7.62x39 but is affordable. Bullet selection is good. Bullet selection is amazing if you reload.  Magazines do not require tweaking to work. Ballistics are superior to both the .300 and the 7.62x39. It's long range performance is what got the party stated. It works at close ranges too and works well from rifle length carbine length and sbr length barrels. Bulk ammo is not as cheap as 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't reload and I really don't have an interest in a silencer.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I really appreciate the feedback here.  Since I don't reload and not really interested in a silencer I think 7.62 is the route I want to go.  Now to find a quality 7.62 complete upper
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Not sure what kind of "quality" you are looking for but I just bought one from Midway for $280 complete.
Got good reviews. I also ordered an enhanced firing pin.

Dave N
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 10:27:11 PM EDT
[#20]
A lot of good suggestions. Like many have mentioned they are almost the same in performance when comparing supersonic.

300 blackout has much better ammo choice and the only RELIABLE option in the ar15 platform imo. The 7.62x39 uppers have gotten better as have the magazines but still nowhere near on par with 300 blackouts reliability/dependability.

ammo cost is nil as either hunting rounds are costly.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#21]
If I was buying this weekend the Midway AR Stoner 7.62x39 as stated above is pretty much a no brainer with free shipping.  Midway reputation and warranty is good enough for me.  Never needed to use it or have the first part return in over 30 years of doing business with them.  I'd also buy or simply mfg an enhanced firing pin whether actually needed or not. Won't know until weapon is fired but better to have and not need than need and not have.

I've done most every Wildcat except 6mm in AR platform over the years and all generally have a specific purpose and run fine for me.  For legal hunting where rifle must be larger than .25 caliber or such I've found the 7.62x39 works as good as any on medium sized game for the coins and is fairly cheap to simply shoot / plink  using import throw away ammo too.  

For steel case use an enhanced firing pin and buy decent mags.  Most any BCG purchased today is going to have an enhanced FP.  Before they were available I used Colt M-16 firing pins with Colt M-16 hammer springs and never had an issue even with the imported ammo.   I did hand select my parts from parts bins.  Some of the supposedly milspec pieces that aren't made for Colt or FN I'd probably question if  true milspec personally.  Lower simply might not be up to par but new upper gets the blame most all the time.  

Never quite got the lack of reliability some speak of with 7.62x39.  Just finished off numbers 17 and 18 in this caliber,  function tested with a quick zero shooting free hand standing like I probably would be hunting. Swapped out carry handle for KAC for testing.  These weapons have more coins in barrels and BCGs than Midway wants for complete upper this weekend.  

I've yet to have any problems regardless of barrel lengths, feed ramps or BCG's I've used.  Possibly just lucky but I kinda question the ability of those having problems or origin of parts they used.  I've yet to grind or Bubba any of my builds. Not like Doublestar or Model 1 Sales kit weapons don't run fine 99 % of the time with anything decent ammo or magazine wise and they will also fix any with problems rather quickly and have done so for years now.  

Lot more issues with the 5.56 weapons truth be told / known but they also built / sold a lot more of those.  Probably same 99% plus reliability associated with AR platform weapons.

Those that need to grind away to make an AR platform run,  have at it.  All that matters at end of the day is they run regardless of what one does to achieve adequate results.  I've always been more of a KISS guy and my AR's run and shoot with any of them regardless of caliber I choose generally..

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#22]
The only reason I dont have a 300BLK upper and do have a 7.62x39 upper is I have a boatload of cheap commie ammo. Once thats shot I'll likely retire the bolt/barrel/mags and switch to 300BLK.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#23]
X39 is a fun round to shoot things with.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#24]
300blk is awesome and so versatile, but the cost. I hope it gains in popularity so the ammo gets a bit cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought a model 1 upper today cranked 75 rounds of steel Russian stuff and it ran flawless!  I'm kind of an AR snob everything I have up to now is LMT Colt or BCM but this upper really impressed me. It came with the enhanced firing pin, I bought 2 asc 30 round mags and put it on a stag lower.  Any suggestions from here? I should have gotten into a .30 cal AR long ago.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:54:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 1:17:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I bought into the 7.62x39 in the AR platform a long time ago when we had more than a few magazine manufacturers in the game.

Mags for 7.62x39 can still be had, but are not as easy as 5.56.

Bolts will fail early, you will always need to have spares. The stress difference isn't trivial and AR bolts will fail very early due to the extra energy. (The Mutant is one way around this in 7.62x39. You will want one of these too.)

Now with the new administration, we may see some of the 5.45x39 come back, and this pressure level doesn't cause early failure in an AR bolt. Also a fun option.

With that said, you should get both... life can be short and there is no reason not to have both.

All the good reasons stated above on the 300 BO are reason enough to have one, and the 7.62x39 is also too  much fun in an AR.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:06:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The only reason to go with the 300 is if you suppress it or have a specific need.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got that backwards. If you want to shoot thousands of cheap plinking rounds with poor accuracy a year you can go with the 7.62X39. If you want a gun that can do the same thing as the 7.62X39 and uses the exact same bolts, mags and even the same cartridge just cut down then go with the 300BLK. If you wan't to buy special mags, Bolts that were never meant to be run in an AR and often don't last or special lowers then go with the 7.62X39.

The 300BLK gives you nearly the same ballistics while offering you a lot more options on ammo especially for hunting. Plus when it comes to hunting bullets the 300BLK hunting ammo tends to be cheaper, has more bullet options and is easier to find.

An added benefit of the 300BLK that the 7.62X39 can't do is subsonic.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I bought into the 7.62x39 in the AR platform a long time ago when we had more than a few magazine manufacturers in the game.

Mags for 7.62x39 can still be had, but are not as easy as 5.56.

Bolts will fail early, you will always need to have spares. The stress difference isn't trivial and AR bolts will fail very early due to the extra energy. (The Mutant is one way around this in 7.62x39. You will want one of these too.)

Now with the new administration, we may see some of the 5.45x39 come back, and this pressure level doesn't cause early failure in an AR bolt. Also a fun option.

With that said, you should get both... life can be short and there is no reason not to have both.

All the good reasons stated above on the 300 BO are reason enough to have one, and the 7.62x39 is also too  much fun in an AR.
View Quote

What is the mutant?
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm down with people buying whatever guns they want but IMO it's a fairly easy choice.

If you like AKs get a x39 and be happy. If you like ARs buy the BLK.

The difference between the cartridges ballistically is practically nothing from 16" bbls
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What is the mutant?
View Quote

The Mutant is an "AR like" platform that was specifically designed for the energy level of the 7.62x39 and takes that cartridge as a baseline.
The energy level of the 7.62x39 is between ones like .308 and 5.56, so it fits in a niche level roughly like a .30-30.

Because the 7.62x39 can fit into the AR platform folks do it all the time, however the stress levels on the bolts are high enough to cause premature failures. The Mutant parts look like the middle ground between the .308 sized parts and the 5.56 sized parts, which also means it is specific platform of its own. While all of them use many similar and common parts, there are also ones that are unique and non-interchangeable.

But, like I said earlier... Life can be short, if it makes you happy and it isn't being irresponsible with respect to your family economy, why not have this one too?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top