Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2016 6:39:44 PM EDT
I recently got a hold of some Federal TRU loaded with 55 grain Nosler ballistic tips as seen here: http://www.targetsportsusa.com/federal-le-tru-223-remington-55-grain-nosler-ballistic-tip-t223f-p-1309.aspx

I decided to see what kind of accuracy I could get with it out of my SPR type build. It has a WOA 1-7 spr profile barrel. I shot three 10 round groups at 100 yards.

Temp: 59 degrees

Humidity: 72%

Barometric Pressure: 29.90 in

Elevation: 825 ft

I shot these groups prone off of loaded bipods with a sand sock/squeeze bag filled with wheat berries. Yes it was raining!

I intended to shoot all three groups on one sheet of paper, but the POI was a bit off, low left, so I shot bottom center, bottom right, top center, in that order.

Group 1: 1.521 MOA

Group 2: 1.558 MOA

Group 3: 1.842 MOA

The 3 group average was 1.64 MOA
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Great shooting.  Those nosler ballistic tips are a performer it seems.  I wonder what kind of velocity they are kicking around at.  I would say any flesh round that is capable of ATC's averaging around a half moa is worth keeping around.  Next weekend I will try and get out to shoot a few 10 shot groups of my gold dot 55s to compare.  What magnification scope were you using and what length WOA barrel?

It would be awesome if more people put up honest ammo reviews like this.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great shooting.  Those nosler ballistic tips are a performer it seems.  I wonder what kind of velocity they are kicking around at.  I would say any flesh round that is capable of ATC's averaging around a half moa is worth keeping around.  Next weekend I will try and get out to shoot a few 10 shot groups of my gold dot 55s to compare.  What magnification scope were you using and what length WOA barrel?

It would be awesome if more people put up honest ammo reviews like this.
View Quote

Thanks bro.

I don't have access to a chrono right now, but the box lists a 3220 fps muzzle velocity.

WOA 1-7 18", with rifle length gas port, and vortex flash suppressor, matched WOA bolt, and the barrel is bedded in a mil spec M4 forged flattop upper.

The scope used was a Leupold mk4 4.5-14x in a Larue SPR-E mount. Shot on 14x.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#3]
What method did you use to bed it?  I have been thinking of cool tests to bed/lap etc.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What method did you use to bed it?  I have been thinking of cool tests to bed/lap etc.
View Quote

Blue loctite.

I regret not doing an accuracy/precision evaluation before and after. Next time...
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Blue loctite.

I regret not doing an accuracy/precision evaluation before and after. Next time...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blue loctite.

I was thinking something similar.  Take one ammo probably CBC because I have a lot of it.  Get two barrel that are the same.  Go down the line and shoot both barrels normal.  They should be right around the same at that point.  Then lap/square one and test them side by side again leaving one as the control.  After squaring it up I can bed it and again test with the control.  Finally square and bed the control in the hopes that it too makes what ever change the first did.  I think it is worth the ammo.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 12:07:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was thinking something similar.  Take one ammo probably CBC because I have a lot of it.  Get two barrel that are the same.  Go down the line and shoot both barrels normal.  They should be right around the same at that point.  Then lap/square one and test them side by side again leaving one as the control.  After squaring it up I can bed it and again test with the control.  Finally square and bed the control in the hopes that it too makes what ever change the first did.  I think it is worth the ammo.
View Quote

That is a great idea! I'd like to see that.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 5:25:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Identical to what gold dot is doing in my rifle (16" gov. Chrome lined with 4x optic). Good ammo!
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Blue loctite.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blue loctite.

Testing has shown that a thermal fit barrel to upper vs what most manufacturers put out (sloppy slipfit?) Has no measurable effect on accuracy.

My theory is that this is because the main load bearing components are the FACE and the barrel nut interface.

That said, when I build a gun, the barrel is thermally fitted. My DD is just a decent COTS solution that shoots 1.5moa with anything it likes. I doubt anything thermally fitted I build does much better considering my affinity for chf chrome lined barrels.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top