Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2016 4:30:55 AM EDT
Magtech 77 grain ammo lot # CBC 036/16 shows the powder type to be EI-NIESEN 110. I tried looking it up but what I found was written in German or Swedish or some such language. Anyone know where it is made and where it falls on the burn rate chart?

UPDATE: 11/13/16 about 60 degrees
Ran some of this over the Oehler chrono late this afternoon- light was bad and the chrono didn't register some shots, 10 shot groups except as noted-
14.5" Colt Socom barrel, 5.56 chamber, non floated
CBC 77 gr.=2567 fps ES 77
IMI 77 gr lot #229F=2594 ES 82

16" Krieger mid-gas w/Wylde chamber, floated bbl.
CBC 77=2668 fps ES 23 (5 shots)
IMI 77=2661 ES 21 (only 4 shots registered)

20" FNMI barrel, 5.56 chamber, non-floated bbl
CBC 77 gr 2714 fps ES 19 (5 shots)
IMI 77 gr 2768 ES 28 (5 shots)

Shot these with irons and an Aimpoint 2 moa red dot so to be fair to the ammo I am not posting groups sizes. My eyes are bad in addition to the non-floated barrels on two of the rifles. I'll need to reshoot with a scope for groups.The IMI shot a little better than the CBC in all three rifles.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#1]
TBT,

I asked about the powder for you (and me) on the Nosler reloading forumn.  Some pretty knowedgable guys over there on the reloading forumn as you might expect.  .  

I will let you know if I find out anything.

Sure hope it is as accurate and fast as the last two powders they used.

PS If you look closely on some of those websites you can click on a translate icon and read the webpage in English.  It is used in both 223 and 308 as you might expect.  But I cant figure out anything about its burn rate.  Swiss, I think.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 12:54:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

TBT,

I asked about the powder for you (and me) on the Nosler reloading forumn.  Some pretty knowedgable guys over there on the reloading forumn as you might expect.  .  

I will let you know if I find out anything.

Sure hope it is as accurate and fast as the last two powders they used.

PS If you look closely on some of those websites you can click on a translate icon and read the webpage in English.  It is used in both 223 and 308 as you might expect.  But I cant figure out anything about its burn rate.  Swiss, I think.
View Quote

Any update from the Nosler forum?
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe this is who makes it:

Link Here

Alliant has some El-Niesen gunpowder data safety sheets on it's website.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess I'll ask..........  Why are you interested in who made the powder or where it falls in a burn rate chart?
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I guess I'll ask..........  Why are you interested in who made the powder or where it falls in a burn rate chart?
View Quote

Curiosity. If it turns out to be a close match to someone's canister grade powder, I'd like to know which one because my handloads don't give those velocities. Maybe I'd get better results with a different powder(s).

Load data RS40 Swiss powder  24" barrel
223 Rem. 77SierraHPBT Norma case, RWS SR primer, 23.1 gr. RS40 powder   2890 fps
That's way more velocity than I'm getting.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 11:21:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes........... try common US powder.............  I have no problems getting a 77SMK to get 2700+ with a reasonable load in a 20" bl.

Google it........... plenty of loads shown.

PS.......... the data you show is from a 24" barrel..............not the 14.5, 16 and 20" you have........  

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 11:26:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes........... try common US powder.............  I have no problems getting a 77SMK to get 2700+ with a reasonable load in a 20" bl.

Google it........... plenty of loads shown.

PS.......... the data you show is from a 24" barrel..............not the 14.5, 16 and 20" you have........  

View Quote

24" , yes. Swiss RS load data posted just for the heck of it .  I also have 26" barrels and am not getting this much (2890 fps) velocity. Thanks for your reply
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#9]
No reply yet on Nosler forumn but many views of quesiton.

I am chronographing 2835 fps average on the new green box ammo and 2837 av with yellow box.  this based on about thirty chronographed shots w EI-Niessen and 20 or so with the old WC732.  Surprising they were so close.  And this at just 40-45 degrees.  I have a Wylde chamber 1:8 Lothar Walther barrel and have always been surprised it is so fast.  But no obvious pressure signs in almost 2,000 rounds now.  No ejector marks or even shiny spots on rim, but they are a flat primer.    

Probably just random occurance velocities were so close.  I have not checke3d ES and SD.

But it has to be the fastest Mk262 there is.  (In my barrel anyway).

PS TAC will probably give you highest safe velocity but some precision reloaders keep away from ball powder which may errode throat faster than single base 4895's.   BLC2 and CFE223 will give you some good velocity too.

for long range shooting (over 600)  I am willling to give up some ES for a bit more velocity since effect on windage (time of flight) gives me more advantage than a bit smaller group.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#11]
OP:

I have no idea what powders are available in Switzerland, so I can only give you my suggestion based on US powders:

- trying to compare the "non-canister" powder (that these companies buy in huge 50,000lb lots) to "canister" powder, what you buy in the store, is pointless.  
Even if you got a close approximation, you aren't buying the same powder.

-Instead, the 77SMK loads are widely available and known.  Your goals are what every one else is loading.  Google it........... search here.  

-IMHO, loading for just velocity doesn't end up in the most accurate load.  So getting worked up that you aren't getting xxxx fps in load isn't the goal.  How accurate it is........

(Hint.... look for around 2750 fps in your 20" barrel.  Chances are........... your loads will be very accurate.  Use H4895, Varget or the others)        
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 3:59:21 AM EDT
[#12]
TGH456E...............
Not getting "worked up" about anything. I have used Varget, N-140 and H4895. None have given (me) the velocities of the the factory CBC without showing pressure signs. I have been shooting the Sierra 77 and 80 since around 1997. Yes, it is pointless to worry about what bulk powder any company uses. N-140 is from Finland so it's not so far fetched that EI-NIESEN 110 (RS40?) could be available here provided of course that RS40 is the powder they are using which it may/may not be. I don't load simply for speed. I typically go for accuracy keeping them safe in regards to visible pressure signs while looking for consistent numbers on the chrono. I'm no expert on anything but I was loading for a tight neck rifle back in 1991 so I know a little about it.

So now I'll ask......what chronograph are you using? Have you verified it against another chrono?

I think there is some good info in this thread. At least it's not another "does this rifle make me look fat?" thread. Thanks to all for your replies.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#13]
OP:

A couple of things:

Since this is now a reloading question........... you might post it here ( http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/42_Reloading.html  ) and get better answers.

Another spot to check is here:   http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_16/10_Reloading.html

Lymans 49th Edition lists around 4-5 powders that will achieve that velocity.  

But to answer your questions:  

-I have three different loads in my book that I worked up for the 77's.  They use R15, H4895 and Varget.  All easily match the velocities I mentioned (+- 2750).

-The chrono I used for these is a Shooting Chrony Alpha.  I have not shot those other another chrono but due to a bullet strike, I sent the unit in and it checked fine.  So my chrono has been checked by the factory.   (BTW.... that bullet strike is NOT due to these loads in question)

What primers are you using?

I'm concerned that there is something going on with your reloading.............  
But how about you post this in the reloading section............... You should get a wider range of answers............  

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:34:07 AM EDT
[#14]
This thread quickly turned into a reloading topic (my own doing). Thanks to all for their replies.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 4:05:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Self edit. Not technical or constructive.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top