Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2016 12:56:41 AM EDT
This is my first time posting on a forum like this but I had a couple questions for some of the experts out there.

Today I went to the range with ~100 rounds of Aguila 5.56 62g ammunition. It didn't go so well. After about 30 rounds I noticed the bolt was not properly seating fully into the chamber. I have a relatively new AR (only fired 100 rounds through it in a previous trip to the range with American Eagle ammo) and was hoping that it was just the ammunition that was messing me up. I also noticed that the primer was coming off in the rifle and causing jams/getting stuck in my magazines. I went to some of the older guys at the range and they were helpful, telling me that there was shavings of either copper or brass that were getting stuck near the chamber and any distance from the magazine well to the chamber. They suggested that this was my problem and I should find better ammunition.

My question to y'all is, what kind of ammo can I get that's cheap (I'm a broke college student) but will also not crap out on me like the ammo today?

I would also like to know what to look for in ammunition. Please, explain to me like I'm 5, as I know terminology, but have yet to learn all the acronyms.

Thank you guys (and possibly girls) very much!

If you need any of the information about my rifle here it is:

Upper -> 5.56 Palmetto State Armory, 1:7 twist, Melonite coating on the barrel
Lower -> multi caliber, Bravo Company Manufacturing.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:19:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Wolf Gold is what you seek.

But you should also clean your chamber and have it checked with a go, no go gauge.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:31:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Aguila usually shoots pretty well in my rifles.  But as Joe mentioned above, clean your chamber, and run your bcg sopping wet for a while.   Could just need some more rounds through it to break in
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:39:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Sir, what's a go, no go gauge?
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:48:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sir, what's a go, no go gauge?
View Quote
Something you buy and then use once, unless you build your own rifles.

Checks for head space.

And to answer your ammo question: www.gunbot.net  You can ususally find Federal Lake City XM193 for fairly cheap.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:15:04 AM EDT
[#6]
As mentioned earlier, you need to make sure your rifle is properly lubed.

This tacked thread is useful to learn what and how much to lube.

AR-15 lube points

Aguila is particularly dirty ammo in my experience, as in carbon fouling and unburned powder. Some of their .22 lr is okay, but their center fire ammunition is not good, at least for me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Sir, If you wouldn't mind recommending a lube for me. Currently I'm using Ballistol simply because I heard it was decent.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sir, If you wouldn't mind recommending a lube for me. Currently I'm using Ballistol simply because I heard it was decent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as it lubes it will work for range work. You can't go wrong with CLP or any of the more higher end products. Motor oil works too! BTW I had a rifle with a tight chamber and it had similar problems as yours. Primers were even flattening, a sign of overpressure. Try few ammo brands and if the problem is pervasive, send it to PSA. Also, if you can find a shop with chamber gauges, that may rule out those problems.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like Lucas Gun Oil but even 10w-30 motor oil will work.

Decent wolf gold ammunition for .34/rd delivered.  Use coupon code LY4 for free shipping and you can get the oil and ammo from the same spot.

http://www.brownells.com/ammunition/rifle-ammo/wolf-gold-223-rem-fmj-ammo-can-prod68766.aspx

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:38:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd wonder about your chamber also given some of what you're saying, but that aside I'd echo the above as mostly solid choices. If I had to pick one general purpose quality range round right now it would be Wolf Gold, for around 30 cents per round it's about the best value going. Expect great reliability, and good enough accuracy for anything short of higher-powered optic benchrest type shooting.

I'm on a bit of a Hornady Steel Match kick at the moment, but with the caveat that it works in your rifle. Tighter chambers seem to have issues with the steel casing. I mostly like it because it usually shoots pretty tight in most of my rifles (I usually got MOA-ish from my old Mk12 benched, not bad for .36/rd), and holds the same-ish point of impact as my hunting ammo.

Lastly I saw it mentioned above, but the 50gr AE Tipped Varmint really punches above its weight in terms of cost:accuracy. PSA was blowing it out for .30/rd or so last year and I wish I picked up tons more than I did. It shot like a little laser beam, and if you find it on the cheap I'd definitely snatch it up.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:18:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Any sort of lubricant will work. I use CLP on my AR's. But as said above, Mobil 1 will work just fine

Seeing you say that it's a new rifle, did you clean the bolt, bcg and chamber?

New rifles often have a preservative grease that needs to be removed.  

Give it a good cleaning and re - lube and I bet that will solve your issues.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top