I'm hoping this gets attention and appropriate change can be brought about:

http://www.panews.com/2016/09/26/texas-school-marshal-law-in-question/
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Silly law but if they were talking rifle ammo, Mk255 would be good

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2006smallarms/kim.pdf
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Brandon Graves, CEO of Sinterfire, largest manufacturer of frangible bullets in the world also shared his thoughts “The main concern is the lack of education to understand the difference between standard training frangible ammunition and Frangible Duty ammunition. We are a huge proponent of protecting kids in schools and frangible duty ammunition being used by School Marshals. The way the bill is written, a poor understanding by School Marshals between the two projectiles could potentially be fatal to innocent bystanders.”

Graves added, “An amendment to this bill which would add the word, Duty, to describe the accurate frangible ammunition School Marshals can use could change everything”.
View Quote

Does such an animal exist?  I'm not aware of a frangible round designed for duty use that also meets FBI standards.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#3]
We have shot 10s of thousands of frangible rounds over the year during quals.  Most of it BC223NT but when DoD guys go through our SWAT school many times they will bring Mk255 or at least what looks like it as I recognize the grey tip rounds.  Frangible is a hard round.  It marks up my steel worse than the 62 grain Q3315 we use.  Frangible may break up on steel but it goes right through the wood and other stuff.  I would never think it was a safe round indoors.  There is no AR500 steel in my house.

I remember a few years ago I was using another Agency's range.  We were using Federal BC223NT.  One of the last things out of my mouth to the shooters was try and not hit the carriers, we are using someone elses range and we don't want to shoot it up.  I swear I was running one on one shooters through a shot and move course and the VERY FIRST ROUND hit the tube steel target carrier and almost cut it right in half.  I couldn't believe it.  

SWAT has also shot at some handgun steel plates mistakenly thinking they were rifle plates.  Frangible ammo makes deep craters in it.

Also we rarely use frangible pistol ammo on our indoor pistol range.  The taller shooters shooting a the 3 yard line have their round striking the floor at about 20 yards down range.  The frangible pistol ammo always take chunks out of the concrete range floor.  Also try shooting some BC223NT at cinder blocks.  It blows them to pieces better than our Q3315 ammo.  

Frangible ammo is quite hard amd penetrates deep until hitting something solid like hardened steel.  David

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:38:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never heard of a "Texas School Marshal".

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont understand why they felt they had to create a portion of law stating what ammunition these guys carry?  To my knowledge thats not a thing in pretty much any state outside communist places like NJ.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never heard of a "Texas School Marshal".

View Quote

Here's the TCOLE website on it

As for that portion of the law.  It just needs to be deleted.  I feel that whoever wrote that section in has probably heard the myth that Air Marshals carry such ammo to prevent explosive decompression.

Let them carry ammo that works and have a proven track record.  And invest in ammo, real training, and range time for the Marshals.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top