Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2016 1:39:57 PM EDT
I intend to do some tree stand hunting with a suppressed 18" AR this season. Not going for trophies, just want the meat so I will likely be shooting at small to mid sized deer.

I know the 70 grain TSX is the better hunting bullet, however my rifle just doesn't like it very much. I would say 3-4 MOA with it. 77 TMK on the other hand is sub-MOA. It sounds like a no-brainer for the TMK, however I'm not taking shots at any long range either, probably 100 yards max. There is not a lot of underbrush where I hunt, but still some. I would say I would most likely be taking shots around 50 yards. I prefer a bullet that will put the deer down ASAP and would rather not be tracking them through the woods, mainly because I don't want to disturb the neighbors (hence suppressor).

So the question is: Is the performance of the TSX on game worth the accuracy loss? 3-4 MOA sounds pretty bad, but at the distances I'm shooting, it may not matter. Does a 77 TMK perform well enough on game to where I should just go with it for the accuracy? What would you use?
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you reload? I had the same question. I was loading them long and I was advised to load them to spec due to bullet construction. I haven't tried again just bc of the expense. I'm using 65 gr game kings instead.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I used the 62gr tsx last year and I can say the expansion on them is beautiful.

However, you have to remember you're still shooting a .224 cal bullet, so when shooting for the heart I found that deer will still run 10-40 yards and don't drop loads of blood.

There is usually still enough of a trail to track, but make sure you watch where the deer runs if you're in a heavily wooded area.

I haven't used the TMK, but from the fragmentation I've seen I bet it'll drop a deer pretty fast. On the flip side many people don't like fragmentation in their deer because you can't pick the pieces out so you have to scrap that area.

If you're hunting a field where ranges could stretch out to 200 and you don't mind getting rid of some meat because of fragments, id say go with the TMK purely for accuracy. If your ranges are under 150 and you want the most meat possible, go TSX. The way to bullet holds together means no fragments and very reliable expansion.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#3]
i'm no expert but common sense would tell me that a TMK would not be a very good hunting bullet. not much retained weight there to punch through the thick chest of a deer.

what about the 70gr GMX, 75gr gold dot or the TAP SBR 75gr soft point? soft points have been a mainstay of hunting bullets for a long time. the GMX should do well in dropping a deer too i would guess.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:16:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

probably 100 yards max. There is not a lot of underbrush where I hunt, but still some. I would say I would most likely be taking shots around 50 yards. I prefer a bullet that will put the deer down ASAP and would rather not be tracking them through the woods, mainly because I don't want to disturb the neighbors (hence suppressor).

? What would you use?
View Quote

I use the 50gr american eagle tipped varmit round for headshots. More than accurate, early upset with great frag pattern.

of your choices the TMK

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#5]
You say you will be tree-stand hunting. That means you are forced to take the shot given or don't take the shot at all. I would go for the bullet with the most penetration. You may end up center punching a rib or leg bone before getting to something important.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I use the 50gr american eagle tipped varmit round for headshots. More than accurate, early upset with great frag pattern.

of your choices the TMK

YMMV
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

probably 100 yards max. There is not a lot of underbrush where I hunt, but still some. I would say I would most likely be taking shots around 50 yards. I prefer a bullet that will put the deer down ASAP and would rather not be tracking them through the woods, mainly because I don't want to disturb the neighbors (hence suppressor).

? What would you use?

of your choices the TMK

YMMV

This.  

For body shots on deer, I prefer the 62 grain gold dot.  My sons have killed a ton of deer, hogs, and coyotes with them, and they have always performed well.  Major wound channels and pass throughs on all but one.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you considered Federal Fusion MSR?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#8]
At that distance the 77 TMK should do well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I have some fusion that this barrel liked previously. Course that was 5000 rounds ago.

Otherwise, I think I will stick with the TSX. If the shot is at a longer distance, I can always have a 77 TMK loaded as the next round and just cycle the bolt to get to it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I think I have some fusion that this barrel liked previously. Course that was 5000 rounds ago.

Otherwise, I think I will stick with the TSX. If the shot is at a longer distance, I can always have a 77 TMK loaded as the next round and just cycle the bolt to get to it.
View Quote

Are you hand loading your TSX ammo? Took me awhile to find a decent load for them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:36:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Are you hand loading your TSX ammo? Took me awhile to find a decent load for them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, ASYM factory ammo.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#12]
use the TMK.  Markmanship is a must, this is a small round for deer.  But then again, marksmanship is always a must.    In 308 I have used several different rounds on deer and 175 SMK is what I settled on based on accuracy and how far the deer go after being shot.  TSX  and other hunting rounds way under performed 175SMK or 168 Amax on dropping power.  I shoot double lung or heart, so they always run.  I never hit the front legs as to not mess up the meat.  A quartering shot you can get the heart, otherwise right behind the front leg for double lung.  Due to the eventual CWD I don't shoot head or spine.  Also I do not open them in butchering.  I do not like head shots due to how quickly they randomly move their head.  I only take shots that are certain
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Has anyone here used the TMK? Seems like the barnes or other controlled expansion would be more reliable than a match bullet no? I know the TMK fragments, but will it get the penetration needed from a quartering angle?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Has anyone here used the TMK? Seems like the barnes or other controlled expansion would be more reliable than a match bullet no? I know the TMK fragments, but will it get the penetration needed from a quartering angle?
View Quote
Search Leid's posts. He's taken several deer with the 77gr TMKs.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Turns up jack.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Turns up jack.
View Quote
https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=443385

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=678523

"The BHA 5.56MM 77GR. TMK fired from the 16" Colt M4 had the necessary accuracy at 125 yds. to have taken a neck shot, no sweat. I purposefully put the TMK on the rear of the shoulder as final verification of the 77GR. TMK's terminal performance on a medium sized flesh & bone target. To me, all the internal damage leading to that 2.5" exit hole indicates the TMK has what it takes for an ethical broadside shot on an average size whitetail at 125yds or so. That level of terminal performance also indicates the 77GR. TMK should perform very well for non-LEO SD/HD use.  " -LEID

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Decided to take advise above and just go for a headshot. 77TMK performed very well here.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Damn, that TMK isn't fucking around.

I have some 69 TMK loaded and some 125 TMK in .300blk waiting to get called up. I also have 62 Fusion, 75 T1c, 55 SP and 65 SGK so some deer will be falling these next few seasons hopefully.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:31:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn! Is that an exit, also?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:15:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Holy Jesus! You're definitely making me feel good about taking TMK out deer hunting next month, that cratered the skull cavity!
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:02:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Fudd: "a 223 is a varmit round for varmits... Too small for a deer!"
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Damn, the front fell off.
View Quote

Shit that's funny!
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Thats some impressive shit right there.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Scrambled that deer head lol

I too haven't had very accuracy with the TSX bullets. That was factory ammo before I started hand loading so haven't ever gone back and tried them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Scrambled that deer head lol

I too haven't had very accuracy with the TSX bullets. That was factory ammo before I started hand loading so haven't ever gone back and tried them.
View Quote

Strange. I shoot 1.5-1.8MOA with the TSX's, and around 2.5-3 MOA with the TMK's. TMK is poop IME
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top