Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/21/2016 1:37:31 AM EDT
Well I just browsed though this forum and found complaints about bad QC on FM.  I just ordered a bunch and have a lot already.  I hope I did not screw up, but here is what I have found so far.

Freedom Munitions in 12.5" SBR

Freedom Munitions in 18" JP pencil barrel
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 1:53:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Garbage.

Softest brass I have ever encountered. Loaded way under SAAMI velocity specification guidelines so it's shit for pistol caliber carbines and subguns.

I couldn't tell you about accuracy, I gave away the remaining 2500 rounds and will never buy it again. Be very careful if you're thinking about reloading their brass.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 2:58:35 AM EDT
[#2]
groups are best 4 of 5 shots?  holy cherry picking Batman.

nm.  it's best 4 of 5 and all 5

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:13:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I read your jp barrel review, but that said I'll never buy freedom munitions.

QC issues all over the place mentioned here and other sites.

I just won't risk $500+ worth of parts to save $.08/round.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

When I said FGM, that means Federal Gold Match.  The $1.32 per shot ammo mentioned as the best factory 223 ammo you can buy.  The only group I shot with Federal GM223M was a pretty .71", but its too expensive when this particular barrel favors lighter and cheaper options nearly as well.

The QC issues really scare with the FM, but I have bought a bunch of the 55gr FMJ.  I will shoot it in 3 gun and for scope sight in, gas adjustments, etc.

The others I only bought 50 or 100 rounds of each to see how accurate each bullet is in different barrels.  I'll just save it for every time I buy a new 223.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#5]
i'm curious what the results would be with more statistically significant 10 round groups (and no called fliers)
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

When I said FGM, that means Federal Gold Match.  The $1.32 per shot ammo mentioned as the best factory 223 ammo you can buy.  The only group I shot with Federal GM223M was a pretty .71", but its too expensive when this particular barrel favors lighter and cheaper options nearly as well.

The QC issues really scare with the FM, but I have bought a bunch of the 55gr FMJ.  I will shoot it in 3 gun and for scope sight in, gas adjustments, etc.

The others I only bought 50 or 100 rounds of each to see how accurate each bullet is in different barrels.  I'll just save it for every time I buy a new 223.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fiochi and ADI make excellent ammunition loaded with the SMK projectile.  I've had good results with both.  The ADI is ~$.50/round, Fiochi is ~$.90/rd.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for trying, but I will never buy FM ammo. I have seen way too many kabooms and read about lots more. NO WAY!
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Garbage.

Softest brass I have ever encountered. Loaded way under SAAMI velocity specification guidelines so it's shit for pistol caliber carbines and subguns.

I couldn't tell you about accuracy, I gave away the remaining 2500 rounds and will never buy it again. Be very careful if you're thinking about reloading their brass.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll75/Mr_Maim/Forum%20Stuff/Subgun_Beltfed/Freedom%20Munitions%203_zps7mca5r53.jpg~original
View Quote

What's going on with that case?  Never seen anything like that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:34:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Garbage.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll75/Mr_Maim/Forum%20Stuff/Subgun_Beltfed/Freedom%20Munitions%203_zps7mca5r53.jpg~original

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:26:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a bunch of .300 BO ammo, 147 grain bullets.  

Horrible reliability.  8 out of 100 failed to fire, even with a second strike on the primer, so it's not just those are hard.

However, they're accuarte out of my AR.  In fact, far better than the buck 25 cent each PNS ammo with a fancy Noser BT bullet, which shoots about 2 inches at 50 yards for me.

So, I have a bunch of ammo that goes bang 9/10 times, is accurate when it does fire, and gives me practice on FTF drills.  I'll burn up the rest of my rounds, but will never buy from them again.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#11]
At my club's last 3-gun match, a gentleman was using Freedom Munitions 9mm.  Out of a box of 50, he had about 10 that failed to fire.  The primers had good solid hits, but wouldn't fire.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Guess I have just been lucky with FM ammo. I've shot 1000 rounds of 45 ACP from my 1911, and 2500 rounds of 9mm from my Sig, and Glock all reman stuff, 230 grain 45, and 124, 115, and 147 from my 9mm. Havent had any FTF or stove pipe problems, accuracy is about the same as any other brand of ammo that I have shot. Havent shot any 223/5.56 stuff from them, but when I get a little low I will order some of it and try it.
They have had some shipping problems, and sometimes its a long time getting here, but once it gets here it shoots fine.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Everytime I read about freedom munitions on here I just don't get it. I have shot probably around 10,000 9mm and 10,000 .223 55gr remanufactured from them. Not a single issue from either. I have shot the 9mm through my glocks, an M&P, and my scorpion SBR. The .223 has been shot through my 11.5, 14.5 and my 16 in guns. It has functioned with carbine, mid, and intermediate gas systems.

Maybe I am just really lucky, but I will keep using them. They are a big supporter of 3 gun and the second amendment. There ammo has been 100% reliable for me, so I will keep using them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Guess I have just been lucky with FM ammo. I've shot 1000 rounds of 45 ACP from my 1911, and 2500 rounds of 9mm from my Sig, and Glock all reman stuff, 230 grain 45, and 124, 115, and 147 from my 9mm. Havent had any FTF or stove pipe problems, accuracy is about the same as any other brand of ammo that I have shot. Havent shot any 223/5.56 stuff from them, but when I get a little low I will order some of it and try it.
They have had some shipping problems, and sometimes its a long time getting here, but once it gets here it shoots fine.
View Quote

I shoot almost nothing but Freedom ammo out of my 1911s, and I've shot thousands of rounds.  I've never had a single misfire or any other issue.  I usually shoot 200gr HP, due to the 9mil plating on the HP bullets, which is ~3x the thickness of Berry's.  Their ammo is particularly accurate, feels appropriately powerful (based on recoil - never chronoed it) and is also significantly cleaner than many other brands of factory ammo I've tried.  I've only fired a handful of their bulk 223, but again no issues.  I also have a bunch of their 69gr 223 and 168gr 308 match stuff (Sierra Match Kings) sitting around, but haven't tried that out yet either.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Everytime I read about freedom munitions on here I just don't get it. I have shot probably around 10,000 9mm and 10,000 .223 55gr remanufactured from them. Not a single issue from either. I have shot the 9mm through my glocks, an M&P, and my scorpion SBR. The .223 has been shot through my 11.5, 14.5 and my 16 in guns. It has functioned with carbine, mid, and intermediate gas systems.

Maybe I am just really lucky, but I will keep using them. They are a big supporter of 3 gun and the second amendment. There ammo has been 100% reliable for me, so I will keep using them.
View Quote

10 years ago I was shooting Ultramax reman ammo without issue.  Saved some money and it was reasonably accurate.

But then I had an issue (squib) and I found multiple threads about rifles being destroyed due to overpressure and other defects.

I've got too much $ invested in some of my rifles to take that risk.  I've also grown fond of my fingers and eyes.  

If I were concerned about cost savings, I'd look at shooting steel case wolf or wolf gold.  I haven't seen anything to suggest that it has significant issues.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

10 years ago I was shooting Ultramax reman ammo without issue.  Saved some money and it was reasonably accurate.

But then I had an issue (squib) and I found multiple threads about rifles being destroyed due to overpressure and other defects.

I've got too much $ invested in some of my rifles to take that risk.  I've also grown fond of my fingers and eyes.  

If I were concerned about cost savings, I'd look at shooting steel case wolf or wolf gold.  I haven't seen anything to suggest that it has significant issues.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have had a squib from factory new Blazer 9mm before, but that is cheap crap too.  The bullet did actually leave the barrel and hit the target.  RO and everyone was hollering STOP and CEASE FIRE.  Failure to Neutralize x 2
I am only ordering bulk now out of election fears and to try different bullets down the tube.  I can see patterns for each barrel already, though both guns will still be fed M193 or 55gr FMJ blasting ammo 99% of the time.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A government agency i know stopped using Ultramax because 9mm Glocks and MP5s were being damaged/blown up... that says something...
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Whew, was getting ready to order from them. Glad I found this.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Bought 1,000 rounds of 9mm couple months ago. Put 300 through my XD couple weeks ago, not a single failure either gun or ammo related... Did not seem all that dirty either.  Never have tried their .223/5.56, and I don't reload so unless I have an ejection problem I don't look at the fired brass.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Well I have used 1000 rds of the 115gn RN 9mm without issue and will be trying out some of the 147gn soon. I have also used 500 rds of their m193 without issue so far. I think try some out as see how they run in YOUR guns to tell if there are any good.

Cheers
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Fired several thousand freedom munitions reman (9mm 115, .45 230). Decent accuracy. Never a problem.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I was given some FM 9mm by a guy who wanted to shoot my Uzi.  It was too weak to run the gun . Would not pushow the bolt far enough back to strip the next round

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:58:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Going from memory they were new and doing decent ammo until one of the panics. Then apparently got greedy and that is when the negative things began.  I hoped they would recover, but by the constant flow of complaints, apparently not.

I wish people would not make excuses to save a little money, so companies like this would go out of business and perhaps be bought out by someone who would do a good job
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Well crap, I also wish I had come across this a couple weeks ago. I just received a decent little order of close to 1000 round mixture of 223, 9mm, and 300blk. Sounds like most likely it should be, just a maybe a few FTF's. I've not done very well in the past when I roll dice, perhaps I will test it out my least fav guns.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:45:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm in the same boat as you, thousands of rounds fired from the new manufacturer batch of 9mm and not one single hiccup. I shoot they're 115, 124, and 147 grain and it's all run reliably. I've heard of a couple of bad stories, but it seems like a lot of people just want to really hate them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Freedom is shit.

I have about 400 rounds left of their POS ammo that I'll likely have to pull down for components. I went through almost 100 rounds and had a bunch of bad primers and a few messed up cases. Recoil and report of all the rounds I shot was different, and I recently pulled down a few to see wildly varying charge weights.

Their ammo is unsafe and unreliable, and they don't give a shit about it. Have a problem? Good luck getting them to even give you your money back.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Had several split cases of 55gr 223 from FM. Same for 9mm. Sketchy.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top