Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2016 8:56:32 PM EDT
Took my wife to the range today, it was her first time shooting, and she had a blast with my Glock 23, but after we had shot all the .40 I had, I brought out the AR so she could try that. I had recently put a new back sight on it, so I had to zero that and it was running fine. I shot probably 5 times, and got it zeroed great. Then she got to shoot about 10-14 rounds, and my AR had it's first ever FTF. I took the gun, and went to look and see what was going on and was kinda shocked. The freedom munitions my brother had given me, looked great and I expected no real problems from it. I look in the chamber, and the brass was still there, and there was powder all over the chamber. I extract the round and I realize what had happened. It had been poorly seated, and had been pushed back inside the round when it was chambered. So I disassembled it, just to make sure I had no barrel obstructions and besides a small amount of powder in the barrel the thing should have been good to go. So I switch to PMC bronze, and load a mag up, and the first round had a very light primer strike. It was the end of our time so I had to pack it up, but was pretty bummed about such a shitty end to her first time shooting.

I'm pretty new to AR's but this was probably the 500th or so round to go through the Ruger 5.56 and my first problem with it. Is it common to have problems with Freedom Munitions? My brother said he would take the round and they would send me a new box, but I was still pretty disappointed.

Is there anything I should be looking at internally that would be causing light primer strikes?

Wife shooting the AR for the first time.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#1]

You're not the first, many threads on the forum
regarding their lack of QC.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#2]
There have been many FM kabooms. Bullet setback can cause high pressure. Thus kaboom.

I have said many times, i will never buy or shoot FM ammo.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Well shit, I was looking at the price of .40 ammo and thinking it was a great deal. I understand now why it's so cheap.

I cleaned the gun and am now only going to run PMC Bronze or some other FMJ like it because for the first 500 or so rounds, they have not failed me once.

First mag of this and I have a FTF and then a light primer strike. Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to search some of the other threads about them and see what happened to those guys.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want even cheaper ammo pick up a press and reload your own :)
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#5]
It's crap. Pure unadulterated crap.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Clean your BCG, the powder probably infiltrated it after the round puked in the chamber.

I've seen this failure before in different ammo brands, but FM seems to have a less tha stellar reputation.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:08:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow, I didn't know they are that shifty. Too bad. Almost ordered some from them
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:28:52 AM EDT
[#9]
That sucks.  I've ordered a lot from them without any issues for .308.  Looks like I'll start looking for a press.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I have never had any issues with their ammo, I always closely inspect my rounds with any ammo even factory stuff.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I choose cheap steel case Commie 5.56 over Freedom Munitions 5.56.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I choose cheap steel case Commie 5.56 over Freedom Munitions 5.56.
View Quote

I got lucky, and it was given to me for my birthday so I will get a free box supposedly. But after seeing what happened and how much it could have fucked me I am probably just going to sell it or something.

I did find out I can use steel case at the range I go to, so I too will be switching to steel case to save money. I just don't think I'll be buying any more reloads.

I may get into reloading, now that my dad, brother and wife are all shooting. Between my dad and brother we could split the cost and reload for a much cheaper price.

I am disappointed though, because with the first time order free shipping, I was going to get some .40 for a great rate. Now, I really don't know if I can trust their ammo
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I ordered back in June and it took a month to ship.  I wanted some for events that are "lost brass" or indoor ranges that don't let you take your brass back with you.  Of the first 50 I got aprox 20 cases in the lot had dents in them, including some with dents at the case neck.  Primer depth also varied though bullet seat depth was consistent on mine.  Took it to the range and of the first 50, I had light strikes on 6 which is an issue I've NEVER had with that gun with any ammo, took a second try to fire it.  Still have 200 rounds left, I'll just burn it up for plinking and toss out the brass.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:16:31 AM EDT
[#14]
That's one thing I have noticed too. I went through the unfired rounds to put them back in the box and noticed out of the 50, 15 were very poorly seated. One had a cracked base... so that was thrown out completely. Out of the 21 rounds I was able to fire, 11 were PMC bronze, and the other 10 were Freedom rounds.

The PMC I got from PSA, and ran as it always had, perfectly. I had loaded the PMC in last, as out of the 50 I needed to put in some PMC to fill out the mag. I added 10 PMC (one had to have been with the freedom mix lot since I have 11 spent shells with the PMC stamp). I sighted in with the PMC, and shot probably 6 rounds total of that. So out of 21 shots, 11 were Freedom and the 12th was a massive failure and then the next was Freedom again, with a light primer strike.

Either way, it was a shitshow and I was pretty bummed about my dad not being able to shoot the AR for the first time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:54:22 AM EDT
[#15]
I get 3 or 4 emails a week from them about their sales. Which is odd because I have never logged in on their site or shown any interest in their crap.

I assume my email address was sold to them by another vendor.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:15:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I've shot 500+ rounds of their .308 with zero issues. I shot lots of their .45, .40, .38 with no issues either. Did have a few issues with light primer strikes on the 9mm but not many. But that being said, I don't plan on buying anymore in the near future only because regular retail ammo has come down in price since my last major Freedom Munitions order.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:11:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I have shot a few thousand rounds of their reman m193 and have had good luck. My only failure was a case head separation. That said, I will not be buying any more, with wolf gold being 2 or 3 cents a round more it makes no sense.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I am not buying any  more after trying the 9mm
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Gone through 250 rounds of .44 magnum from them with nothing but good results.

Too bad OP.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#20]
There is literally no reason to buy this crap with factory new ammo prices the way they are right now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 8:34:39 AM EDT
[#21]
I've shot a ton of their 9mm (both new and reloads).  Other than being a bit anemic, it works for range fodder.  I've had a couple of rounds fail to go boom, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've shot 500+ rounds of their .308 with zero issues. I shot lots of their .45, .40, .38 with no issues either. Did have a few issues with light primer strikes on the 9mm but not many. But that being said, I don't plan on buying anymore in the near future only because regular retail ammo has come down in price since my last major Freedom Munitions order.
View Quote

This is me.  I've shot alot of Freedom Munitions in the past with zero issues.  But, with what I'm reading about poor QC, this has me scared away from buying any more.  Especially since the price of other ammo brands--more reliable than FM--can be regularly found at a decent price.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Has it been answered if it was new, reman, or blaster (if they make that in 223/556)?

Plenty of stories of rough QC, which I think most has been around reman and blaster.  I have shot about 2k rounds of new 9mm and 45 without issue.  I have about 500rnds of 9mm left and Ill be out.  I likely wont buy again because there are better options for the same or slightly higher cost.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#24]
One of the many reasons i don't shoot another persons Reloads/Handloads.

I shoot Factory ammo only.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Damn, and I just bought 350rds of 5.56 from them today.  Thanks to this thread, I'm questioning my purchase.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

You gonna tell come clean and tell him how many rounds he has to reload to pay back the press & accessories cost before the ammo he reloads gets "cheaper?"  
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I have shot a couple cases of their 60 grain V max reman in 3 gun with zero issues. POI is same as my 69 be SMK hand loads.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#29]
The stuff the originally put out pre 2013 was good stuff. Then sandy hook happened. And it's all been junk since. I'll shoot tula and wolf before FM.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
You gonna tell come clean and tell him how many rounds he has to reload to pay back the press & accessories cost before the ammo he reloads gets "cheaper?"  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That would depend on what one needs to get started. Someone like me, would need dies and supplies.

You are correct in some ammo is expensive to even reload. Some folks actually get in to reloading thinking it is "cheap" LMAO

9MM, I could load for less than half the price of an inexpensive range load. 40 cal, forget about it. the components were within a couple of bucks as range fodder. Range ammo is all I would load. Hand loads for SD are frowned upon in Texas, said the judge who teaches CHL here, so kinda hard to argue from where I sit. I have a 7MM and a 300 WSM that have never had a factory load run through them. I like mine better than "theirs", and they are a LOT less expensive.

All this is about 10 year old stats, so if things have changed, please don't dog pile.

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#31]
The only company I ever had to call my bank & initiate a chargeback for. Freedom Munitions shipped my order, then had the parcel rerouted & returned to their warehouse without notifying me.

They didn't respond to my emails not do they pick up their phone, all I wanted was my ammo or my money. You couldn't pay me to order from them again.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 11:41:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shhhh. Reloaders never want to talk about that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 12:14:53 AM EDT
[#33]
I just shot a few hundred 9mm today, I got it back in '12-13 and its been fine but I don't think I would buy it now.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, you don't "save" money, but you do shoot more.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depending on how you look at it, the time spent reloading could be used shooting.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Depending on how you look at it, the time spent reloading could be used shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sit in my man room drinking beer, reloading ammo, and enjoying the piece and quiet. There can not be a price put on quiet.

Eta
I shot about 100 rounds today sighting in my new rifles and plinking. No problems from the FM i bought from 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I've shot over 1000 rds of 115 gr 9mm reman with one ftf. I shot 200 rds today with no issues. I've shot 500+ rds 223 55 gr PSP reman and today I shot another 200. I think that is a good track record. I will continue to use FM.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#38]
I ordered 1000 rounds of reman 147 gr 9mm. When emptying them into a storage container I noticed a few had visible case bulge from the bullet being loaded in. I've shot 50 rounds through my glock 17 with no problems. They do seem very weak compared to factory loads, but I haven't chronoed any. Also, found one round that had the primer pressed in upside down. I dont think I'll be purchasing again.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#39]
I was considering getting some FM ammo in 300blk for a build I am finishing but after hearing these stories of lapse in qc I don't know if I will purchase from them
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#40]
I've had two squib loads from them in 9mm (single batch problem it seems, I've fired about 5,000 rounds of 9mm from them, "factory new"). The .40 ("new") I bought from them seems fine... As does the .308 ("new").
Buddy of mine was having numerous failures with some FM .308 ("reman")... He case gauged it. 90% failure rate on case gauging on the .308 he had.
I'll shoot what I have left of it but I won't be ordering more.

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 1:42:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Same. The new and reman stuff is below wolf gold quality, and a negligible price savings. Their shipping sucks, and I'm not impressed by their customer service. They won't be receiving any more of my cash.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#42]
I dont have time to read this whole thread but I will say I buy 1000 rounds of NEW 9mm 115g RN from them a month and shoot about 95% of it a month. Never had a problem and with my 10% discount and the houston store being 5 min from my house, I am happy with the results. I have never bought the .223 because I am a brat and only purchase M193 so that I maintain consistent results in my competition rifle.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top