Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/27/2016 4:28:57 PM EDT
I signed up for  an Appleseed event and they say to bring at least 500 rds for my 10-22, preferably 1000. The cheap stuff I'm seeing is federal champion, American eagle,  or auto match. Remington thunderbolts are another choice I see for cheaper stuff.  Any of these  to stay away from? Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I would stay away from the thunderbolts, those left a bunch of lead globs on the crown on my rifles, the first and last time I used thunderbolts.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I signed up for  an Appleseed event and they say to bring at least 500 rds for my 10-22, preferably 1000. The cheap stuff I'm seeing is federal champion, American eagle,  or auto match. Remington thunderbolts are another choice I see for cheaper stuff.  Any of these  to stay away from? Any other suggestions?
View Quote

Wolf/Lapua TARGET 40 GRAIN ROUND NOSE:

My Ruger 10/22 tactical with bipod and 3-9×:  10 rounds inside a nickel at 40 yards consistently .

Accurate, CONSISTENT ammunition that feeds 100% in my 10/22.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/22-lr-ammo/500-round-brick-22lr-wolf-match-extra-40-grain-lead-solid-ammo-made-lapua-germany

And: CCI  Standard velocity 40 grain very similar results.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had very good results with Aguila Super Extra 40 grain plated round nose.  This is high velocity and has produced good accuracy and reliability in several 22's, pistols and rifles.  

My next chouce would be Mini Mags or lead Blazers for use with a semi auto at Appleseed.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I have actually had good results with bulk Remington golden bullets. (525 to a box)
Most people have poo poo'ed them, but I can keep them in a quarter at 50 yards with my stock 10-22 with BSA Sweet 22 scope 3-9X40, and DNZ scope mount.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#6]
If they say 500 to 1000rds....
with thunderbolts, this means 1000 min.

The last box I got, was the worst 22lr Iv ever seen.

10/22, clean hits to rim and no fire... 2 or 3 or MORE in every 10rd mag.

reloaded a mag of rejects, and zero fired. I dumped them in a bucket.

It was the 1st time for the GF and her new 10/22, and the look on her face...

A guy we didnt know was shooting next to us, and handed her a box of minimags... Saved the day!

Iv always used CCI and the reason.... Iv never had a fail with CCI

Actually I did....45acp Blazer, when they 1st came out.(1st time I ever seen or heard of them)...no extractor grove. Not sure how I didnt notice that!  

It fired fine though....but ended the 1911 for the day. Once I got it apart, I quickly found the reason.

My point is Iv fired thousands and thousands of CCI products over 40 or 45 years and they always go bang.

I wont even buy 22lr without it being CCI anymore.

and FYI The CCI "quiets" shoot wonderful, but wont run the 10/22 (subsonics)

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Thunderbolts and Golden Bullets = garbage.

I stick with CCI mini mags, Winchester X, got some browning orange box stuff a while back all been good in my semi auto's. I shot all three this weekend about 450 rounds total had 1 dud out of all of them and it was the CCI mini mag which to me is tier 1 .22lr.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Can't you find some CCI Standard Velocity?

Worse case find some Federal AutoMatch.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:40:32 AM EDT
[#9]

22lr rifles are fussy about what they eat. the best thing you can do is buy a variety of brands and then shoot 5 round groups and see what happens. get yourself a decent sled/rest and have fun!

Molon is our resident science guy and ammo guru. he backs all his threads up with data. read his threads when you get a chance.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Locally lately about all I can find is Federal Auto match, it's been functioning doing fine for me, as have Remington Golden Bullets. Aguila has also been good, CCI is great of course.

This is with a 10/22 and 22/45
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#11]
22 is one of those times when you have to match teh ammo to the gun...
Thunderbolts and Golden Bullets = garbage.
View Quote

I shot a lot of this out of a M&P 22 & Marlin 795 with almost no problems.
But feed either the expensive mini mags & they choke a lot.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Thunderbolts are one 22lr that I wouldn't buy ever again. The last ones I bought were the dirtiest shooting ammo I have ever fired. Most of my 22lr''s shoot CCI standards with good results. MY 1022 shoots mini mags the best.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#13]
One 22lr ammo that seems to work best in terms of accuracy and reliability in all my 22lr caliber guns is the CCI Minimag 40 gr Solids.  
I have over 20 different 22lr caliber handguns and long guns and they all work with this ammo.  Some guns may give better accuracy with different ammo but they all give respectable accuracy with CCI Minimag 40gr Solid.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2016 8:57:52 AM EDT
[#14]
anything but Remington golden Bullets or Thunderbolts. Even during the height of the panic when .22 was harder to find than a unicorn I still wouldn't consider anything from Remington.

My choices in order are

CCI Mini Mags
Fed Red/Blue box bulk
Winchester bulk
Fed Auto Match

If you want to spend some serious coin get some Fed Gold Medal Match.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I ended up ordering three 325 round boxes of federal auto match from cabelas. Got them super fast, two days I think.
Sighted in my new Tech Sights then shot some groups off of a sandbag on the hood of the truck at 25 yards. The Feds
Shot the same size groups as some old Remington and Winchester stuff I have in a ziplock bag for years, so I'm not sure exactly
What they are. Both were hollow point. I had trouble focusing through the peep sight.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top