Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2016 5:43:14 PM EDT
About to get a case in a day or two.
Already got a case of Wolf Gold a while back, so I'm not sure if I want to try Geco, or just stick with Wolf.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
About to get a case in a day or two.
Already got a case of Wolf Gold a while back, so I'm not sure if I want to try Geco, or just stick with Wolf.
View Quote

I read online that the Swiss feel fragmenting bullets are inhumane so they mandate that even their XM193 not fragment. How true that is, I have no idea. It was enough for me to go with a different brand, just in case it is true.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Geco 223, because I have found it to be far more accurate.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 2:21:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been impressed by Wolf Gold out of 1/9 and 1/7 rifles. It's as accurate as XM193 out of both for me and more affordable.

I will be buying some GECO to try though.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 2:50:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 8/6/2016 2:57:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I was going to say flip a coin , but after seeing that ^^, there is your answer.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Molon. Thanks for the accuracy information.  BUT.... what other factors should be considered  when choosing ammo that MAY be used in a SHTF situation?

I read your report on both offerings of GECO ammo and concluded that the 5.56 variety performed more like U.S. mil-spec m193 ammo than any other "m193 clones".
IMI  appears to be even closer to U.S. mil-spec m193 but with the latest report of IMI primers coming lose in their fired cases I was "leery" of purchasing any.

Your thoughts?

ptf18
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 7:38:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Many seem to be overthinking this basic 55 gr ball ammo. If anything, buy a bit of each to see which your rifles like more.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I was just about to post a question as to whether to buy the .223 or M193/5.56 version of the Geco for accuracy purposes since I love the .223, but haven't tried any of the hotter M193 version. As usual Molon completely settles it, thanks!

The .223 is equal to the commercial match ammunition (HSM, Federal)  I've shot out of my High Power upper.  I can't justify the time right now to load up very marginally better HP match loads.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2016 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Geco 223, because I have found it to be far more accurate.
View Quote

This, it has shot well out of everything I have used it in.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd buy the one that shoots best in my rifle(s).

Buy a box of each, shoot them, and see which is better for you.

Then buy them cheap and stack'em deep.

Link Posted: 8/17/2016 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Wolf Gold. Just my opinion. Love it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Interesting post form Molon.

So Geco has the .223 Target and a 5.56 FMJ.  

The 5.56 seems about the same as Wolf Gold for accuracy/precision.
The .223 Target is a good bit better than both AND is about as cheap as Wolf Gold! (Geco $0.31/rd and Wolf Gold at $0.31/rd)

I may stock up on some Geco .223 target.....
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Geco- very clean and accurate.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Geco is top quality stuff.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I first bought Geco 223 about 3-4 years ago, bought about 5 fifty round boxes and then couldn't find it anywhere.  High quality ammo to say the least.  I'm happy to see SGAMMO has it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Something to note, while the .223 geco brass is of very high quality it is not great for reloading as it has a very low capacity.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Wolf gold. Every penny counts.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#20]
For what it's worth, Wolf Gold brass is close to LC brass in capacity, but isn't the best at standard deviation of variability of that.  And does a simple punch for the flash hole, that leaves burrs inside the case.  Geco is reportedly excellent quality brass with exceptional uniformity, and burrless flash holes (I think).  However, it is of nonstandard thickness, and will require independent load development for pressure and performance control.  It's thick, so a hot but good load in normal brass, will be overpressure in Geco.So if you like simplicity and relatively easy Grab Bag brass reloading, Wolf Gold has that advantage.  Yet, if you are a super match shooter, Geco can be used straight up for the 200 yard line, and the brass will be good for brass-specific 600 yard line use.

If I had to do it over again, I very possibly would have bought a few thousand Geco rounds, rather that Wolf Gold, for this reason.  If you are stocking for SHTF, Wolf Gold.  For range and accuracy, Geco.  Just be aware that the posted prices here aren't actually true (sold out).  For same-price, Geco.  But for $30 more....
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Average case capacities in grain of H2O

GECO 223 Remington:  29.75

GECO 5.56x45mm:  29.60

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Per Molon, the GEco Target  is better than Wolf Gold, and the price at SGA (my links above) is the same.  So your pennies are still counting, but you get better ammo with the Geco Target.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#23]
I would also buy the Geco ammo. I get crazy good results with it in my DD V7. It really is top notch quality ammo for cheap.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I have not been working on true accuracy yet but instead seeing what my rifle will cycle and  reasonable accuracy.  That said I have been debating between these two because I was moving on the true accuracy next. Looks like I will need to buy five boxes of Geco.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have not been working on true accuracy yet but instead seeing what my rifle will cycle and  reasonable accuracy.  That said I have been debating between these two because I was moving on the true accuracy next. Looks like I will need to buy five boxes of Geco.
View Quote

Try a box of the GECO 55gr 5.56 as well.
I tried a box and was extremely happy with the result when I shot my SR15 Mod1 on my range bag at 100yards.
For my Mod1 and Colt 6921 14.5", both likes the 5.56 more than 223, ~1.3MOA vs ~2MOA

Best Group

Worst Group
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#26]
FWIW, the Geco ejected at 4-4:30 while the Wolf was about 2:30-3:00.  This was almost identical in 3 different rifles.........................

I liked the Geco better.......................

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Has anyone tested Geco in ballistics gel?

While I think we can all see Geco has an edge in precision paper punching, one of the things I like about Wolf Gold is its ability to fragment. That makes it a versatile round that's cheap enough to practice with, but also effective enough to be used in defense, shtf, whatever you want to call it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Has anyone tested Geco in ballistics gel?

While I think we can all see Geco has an edge in precision paper punching, one of the things I like about Wolf Gold is its ability to fragment. That makes it a versatile round that's cheap enough to practice with, but also effective enough to be used in defense, shtf, whatever you want to call it.
View Quote

Then don't buy any Geco, and just buy Wolf Gold...

However, to everyone else that might be interested in Geco 5.56...
Molon's tests show almost identical FPS for both Geco and Wolf Gold out of a Colt 20".
Geco has a groove cannelure while Wolf Gold is the traditional rolled cannelure.

Since Geco 5.56 is substantially more accurate for me... I will be buying more
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Chill out fanboi. I just want more info. That's all. Your attitude isn't helpful. You used a winky eye though so I guess being a dick is cool.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Chill out fanboi. I just want more info. That's all. Your attitude isn't helpful. You used a winky eye though so I guess being a dick is cool.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry if it sounds like I was being a dick but I wasn't, but I was poking fun since it seems like you already made up your mind....
and yes, I used the face to express my non serious statement, and i wasn't expecting you to take it so seriously... so here it is again

BTW, how often , and what animal do you shoot that is not considered 'paper punching' in your previous statement?
You seem very eager to find the most deadly yet the most affordable ammo available... but I would think it is better to save up for more effective rounds for 'SHTF'
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 2:35:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Per Molon, the GEco Target  is better than Wolf Gold, and the price at SGA (my links above) is the same.  So your pennies are still counting, but you get better ammo with the Geco Target.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've looked at Molon's testing a bit on these. I'd love some Geco 5.56, though worried that they are using nonfragmenting bullets....

But the velocity of the Wolf Gold is just shy of being 5.56. The Geco .223 is a bit less, more at around normal .223 pressures and speeds.

So I'm sticking to Wolf Gold or maybe IMI for the time being. It's not ALL about accuracy, and using shorter barreled AR's, I need all the velocity I can get.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 2:44:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Does anyone know if Perfecta .223 is sealed?

'Practice' ammo becomes DUTY ammo the day shit hits, if it hits, so just looking to see what might be in the knowledge pool of the stuff? Fioc's website won't load from google, at least not on work PC.

Also....

How does it do in extreme temps?

Do primers ever pop out?

Again, sealant question. Are these rounds sealed and water/air tight?

Anyone getting stuck cases out of this stuff?

Extra bright at night, even out of rifles?

Any other adverse condition info that might be out there?
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if Perfecta .223 is sealed?

'Practice' ammo becomes DUTY ammo the day shit hits, if it hits, so just looking to see what might be in the knowledge pool of the stuff? Fioc's website won't load from google, at least not on work PC.

Also....

How does it do in extreme temps?

Do primers ever pop out?

Again, sealant question. Are these rounds sealed and water/air tight?

Anyone getting stuck cases out of this stuff?

Extra bright at night, even out of rifles?

Any other adverse condition info that might be out there?
View Quote

Not sure how Perfecta entered into this thread, but here's a pretty good indicator of Perfecta quality:

Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a good amount of Fiocchi brass with that headstamp and none of the flash holes look like that.

Wonder if the Perfecta line has worse QC.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top