Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not sure of the niceties and fine points.  While the equipment is Uncle Sam's it is run by the contractor (Government Owned - Contractor Operated, or GOCO).

Uncles Sam pays the contractor for finished product.  If it doesn't pass compliance Uncle Sam doesn't pay -- Sam's not going to be stuck with wasted components assembled into "Stuff" that doesn't meet contractually-agreed drawings and specs.

When Remington ran Lake City they used IMR and Olin powders.  When Olin ran it they used Winchester-Olin powders.  Now that ATK runs it they use ATK and General Dynamics powders.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:... it almost certainly says LESS intense inspection.

When a GI ammunition lot fails inspection, my understanding is that it's already in DoD's posession.  It isn't sold as "seconds," it's demilled.

Not sure of the niceties and fine points.  While the equipment is Uncle Sam's it is run by the contractor (Government Owned - Contractor Operated, or GOCO).

Uncles Sam pays the contractor for finished product.  If it doesn't pass compliance Uncle Sam doesn't pay -- Sam's not going to be stuck with wasted components assembled into "Stuff" that doesn't meet contractually-agreed drawings and specs.

When Remington ran Lake City they used IMR and Olin powders.  When Olin ran it they used Winchester-Olin powders.  Now that ATK runs it they use ATK and General Dynamics powders.

But they produce products for the government on government equipment, and when the product is a run of say M855, it's for Uncle Sugar.  The contractor gets the business, and Uncle Sam gets the rounds.  Before ATK split up and their Federal brand was connected to Lake City, they made special runs of ammo specifically for commercial sales, but all the contracted GI ammunition went to DoD.

If "seconds" were the norm, the "pulldown" and "demil" market would be nonexistent.  It is anything but nonexistent.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This is really going to piss me off. I bought a fuck ton of this ammo, to STORE AWAY, so I haven't been shooting it really. I spent A LOT OF MONEY on this ammo.....bought 20 cases......I guess I need to break some out and shoot it and see what I get.....
View Quote

lot 212G? yikes.

if you have other lots, you should be fine.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#3]
It would be appreciated if someone, more learned than me, with IMI lot 212/G ammunition, would checked the powder charge of this lot with older IMI M193 lots.  Also, if a chronograph comparison could be taken between this lot and older lots.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It would be appreciated if someone, more learned than me, with IMI lot 212/G ammunition, would checked the powder charge of this lot with older IMI M193 lots.  Also, if a chronograph comparison could be taken between this lot and older lots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

i did, its on page 1 but here that is.....

Quoted:
Quoted:
i have a case of 212/G from sg ammo too. havent shot any yet but will this week. there is NO annealing on the brass and the boxes are printed differently than my other stuff and there is no glue holding the ends of the box in. not a normal IMI situation.

i just pulled a bullet from 212G to check the powder charge. it was 27.2g

also pulled bullets from other 2015 lots:
243F was higher charge at 27.3gr
211G was 27.2gr

all 3 bullets had neck sealant as well.

and...i just realized i shot about 10 rounds of this 212G theu a ballistics advantage modern series middy 16" pencil barrel on saturday. i was checking for accuracy and didnt have any primer issues but will try and find my brass too. its in a bucket i had with me.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#5]
The thing about factory loaded ammunition is they do not use a canister grade powder.  

As each lot of powder is consumed and a new lot is started, the factory adjusts the charge weight to give the appropriate velocity and pressure.  

They are able to do this because they have access to calibrated pressure test barrels to verify pressure and velocity.  

In this instance it appears maybe IMI got it wrong and is either using too much of this particular powder, or maybe they have a soft lot of brass causing primer leaks and pressure signs.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#6]
so has IMI  issued a recall on the lot#?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:When a GI ammunition lot fails inspection, my understanding is that it's already in DoD's posession.  It isn't sold as "seconds," it's demilled.
View Quote

Uncle Sam DOESN'T take possession of it until it passes inspection.  There are milspecs for acceptance, not necessarily for rejection.

De-militarized perhaps, but I would imagine that's because it didn't pass acceptance batch-testing protocols.  It'll still safely go "Bang," but it may not have met or exceeded acceptance standards.

Uncle ain't paying for stuff that didn't pass.  He ain't paying a contractor to waste his raw materials, either.

ATK, being stuck with new/excess inventory, may not have to sell or de-mil it if it was never accepted (under contract clause).  If it's safe he can just out-right sell it for profit.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Uncle Sam DOESN'T take possession of it until it passes inspection.  There are milspecs for acceptance, not necessarily for rejection.

De-militarized perhaps, but I would imagine that's because it didn't pass acceptance batch-testing protocols.  It'll still safely go "Bang," but it may not have met or exceeded acceptance standards.

Uncle ain't paying for stuff that didn't pass.  He ain't paying a contractor to waste his raw materials, either.

ATK, being stuck with new/excess inventory, may not have to sell or de-mil it if it was never accepted (under contract clause).  If it's safe he can just out-right sell it for profit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:When a GI ammunition lot fails inspection, my understanding is that it's already in DoD's posession.  It isn't sold as "seconds," it's demilled.

My understanding was somewhat different from what you're saying, but your points make more sense.  However, I will repeat: Federal stated several times that XM ammunition was NOT rejected GI ammunition, but made with the same tooling and to "civilian specifications," (as in not necessarily having primer sealant, case mouth sealant, being as consistent as required by DoD, etc.).
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My understanding was somewhat different from what you're saying, but your points make more sense.  However, I will repeat: Federal stated several times that XM ammunition was NOT rejected GI ammunition, but made with the same tooling and to "civilian specifications," (as in not necessarily having primer sealant, case mouth sealant, being as consistent as required by DoD, etc.).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the only problem with that claim by FEDERAL is that all my federal xm193 ammo has neck sealant, crimped and sealed primers.

was it ever stated that XM193 was maybe contract over run or just them making it stricktly for the civi market?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
the only problem with that claim by FEDERAL is that all my federal xm193 ammo has neck sealant, crimped and sealed primers.

was it ever stated that XM193 was maybe contract over run or just them making it stricktly for the civi market?
View Quote

That's not "required" by civilian standards, but if they use the LC hardware to make those rounds, it may just be simpler to go ahead with those steps.  My XM855 looks just like GI ammo down to the stripper clips and cardboard sleeves.  I would still expect that they skipped most of the extensive testing required by DoD.

They never said XM (any of them) were overruns, but they never said otherwise.  They STRONGLY stated that (since at least 2005, anyway, when they finally addressed this issue) that the XM lines were NOT rejects or "floor sweepings".  Before then there were many reports of XM193 looking very much like floor sweepings, but that apparently improved quite well.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's not "required" by civilian standards, but if they use the LC hardware to make those rounds, it may just be simpler to go ahead with those steps.  My XM855 looks just like GI ammo down to the stripper clips and cardboard sleeves.  I would still expect that they skipped most of the extensive testing required by DoD.

They never said XM (any of them) were overruns, but they never said otherwise.  They STRONGLY stated that (since at least 2005, anyway, when they finally addressed this issue) that the XM lines were NOT rejects or "floor sweepings".  Before then there were many reports of XM193 looking very much like floor sweepings, but that apparently improved quite well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that makes sense. same lines, same componants, same procedure, just no DOD testing. i'm good with that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Blew a primer on an FC stamped Independence round today.  Stamped "2" in the 9:00 position, "4" in the 3:00 position, and "15" in the 6:00 position.  

A new round chambered, but only about 2/3 of the way in and the bolt locked up, wouldn't move forward any more.  Couldn't figure out what the problem was.

Got it home and eased the round out.  Took everything apart and eventually found the primer down in the trigger group.  I guess if fell down there when I pulled the bolt?  I didn't feel any resistance when I removed the bolt.  

Never had that happen before.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Blew a primer on an FC stamped Independence round today.  Stamped "2" in the 9:00 position, "4" in the 3:00 position, and "15" in the 6:00 position.  

A new round chambered, but only about 2/3 of the way in and the bolt locked up, wouldn't move forward any more.  Couldn't figure out what the problem was.

Got it home and eased the round out.  Took everything apart and eventually found the primer down in the trigger group.  I guess if fell down there when I pulled the bolt?  I didn't feel any resistance when I removed the bolt.  

Never had that happen before.
View Quote

the first batches of independence was way to hot. lots of reports and threads on that too.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
that makes sense. same lines, same componants, same procedure, just no DOD testing. i'm good with that.
View Quote

You can download the military specification for M193 here:    MIL-C-9963F (5.56mm M193 mil spec)

Specifics on what will fail:

4.3.2.1 Classification of defects
4.3.3.2 Firing defects.

If it fails it's still good ammo -- just not within specs Sam as the customer demands (in writing).

I don't know of any other manufacturer that exceeds a SAAMI standard and wouldn't charge for it to at least make back their money.  Primer crimping, neck sealant, strippers, battle packs, etc. all cost money (not much on a per-case basis, but in the numbers hitting the street you know Federal isn't planning on taking a loss).
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a couple small ammo cans of Federal XM193 over the last 2 months. Is this happening with Federal also and if so does anyone know the lot number?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I bought a couple small ammo cans of Federal XM193 over the last 2 months. Is this happening with Federal also and if so does anyone know the lot number?
View Quote
I've never had this problem with XM193, and I go back to Lot 3.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:09:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm getting a replacement case of IMI M193 next week, I'll try and shoot it the weekend after post my results.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 8:40:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've been dealing with Federal on this issue with Independence IMI XM193, lot no. FC15J001-152.  Blowing primers in a 16" mid suppressed Daniel and a factory spikes (which was a very pissed off customers gun).

We sent Federal a 500rd sleeve of it, they had it for months with no contact.  I called today and was told it tests within specs, that it isn't meant for suppressed guns, and they would replace the ammo we sent for testing.  Wow.

I'm going to call IMI and see what they can do, I'm sitting on a lot of this stuff and I don't want to sell it.
View Quote

Had another complaint about it today.  From a guy who bought 4k rounds of it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I have had issues with primers blowing out of IMI 77gr when shot in my 12.5 in upper, both suppressed and unsuppressed. Never happens with any other ammo. Lots are 0229/F and 0239/F. The ammo runs fine in a 18 in SPR with rifle gas, both with the can and without. Bums me out because I wanted to use the 77gr in my SBR.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 2:11:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Sheesh, it's been 2 months since I was last able to go shooting.  

Anyway, I was able to shoot from my replacement case of IMI M193.  100 rounds and not a single issue through either my LaRue barreled upper or Noveske.  It worked perfectly.  Lot 282/G.

Also, I got an unexpected package from Israel today.  I opened it up and there was a letter from the director of marketing and business development of IMI Systems, Eldad Sayada.  He thanked me for using IMI ammo and wanted to make sure I had a good experience with their service (which I most certainly did).  He wished me seasons greetings and a happy new year.  The letter alone was nice, but he also included a hand painted ceramic plate from the holy land.  It was a wonderful gesture and I am impressed.

I may have had one bad lot (212/G), but my after my experience with lot 282/G and the letter and package I will continue to use IMI ammo.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 3:59:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sheesh, it's been 2 months since I was last able to go shooting.  

Anyway, I was able to shoot from my replacement case of IMI M193.  100 rounds and not a single issue through either my LaRue barreled upper or Noveske.  It worked perfectly.  Lot 282/G.

Also, I got an unexpected package from Israel today.  I opened it up and there was a letter from the director of marketing and business development of IMI Systems, Eldad Sayada.  He thanked me for using IMI ammo and wanted to make sure I had a good experience with their service (which I most certainly did).  He wished me seasons greetings and a happy new year.  The letter alone was nice, but he also included a hand painted ceramic plate from the holy land.  It was a wonderful gesture and I am impressed.

I may have had one bad lot (212/G), but my after my experience with lot 282/G and the letter and package I will continue to use IMI ammo.
View Quote

Thank you for posting this.  I got a case of lot 282/G for Christmas and haven't shot any yet.  Looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I have had major problems with recent IMI 55 gr.

I bought an ammo can of IMI 55 gr from Midway about a month ago, and at least one in every 5 rounds I would have a primer ripped out, causing a malfunction and sometimes falling down and jamming up the trigger group. It happened with 2 different AR's, one of which has had well over 2,000 rounds through it without a malfunction.

I would highly recommend NOT buying IMI anytime soon.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 11:22:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I bought an ammo can of IMI 55 gr from Midway about a month ago, and at least one in every 5 rounds I would have a primer ripped out, causing a malfunction and sometimes falling down and jamming up the trigger group. It happened with 2 different AR's, one of which has had well over 2,000 rounds through it without a malfunction.

View Quote

What lot number?
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 11:35:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What lot number?
View Quote

No idea. It gone
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 1:35:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

That'd be an inadvisable recommendation. It has a very good track record. It seems to be a specific lot/ lots having problems. If you had a problem with the ammo, why in the world wouldn't you just contact IMI? A simple e-mail and you would have received a recall tag and a refund or replacement, verified reliable, ammo. By not not reporting it to IMI, or at least checking the lot #, you didn't help alleviate the problem. When you have a problem with a product, contact the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No idea. It gone
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What lot number?

No idea. It gone

your posting on this feels trollish. it was last month, you shoot a whole can, no packaging remains, you didnt pay attention to the lot, didnt come here during that time of shooting it....ya.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

PSA:  The freebore is part of "the chamber".  Basically speaking, a chamber consists of:

>  the body

>  the shoulder

>  the neck

>  the freebore

>  the leade

So to answer your question, any particualar chamber can have combinations of the above dimensions.  

Also, freebore isn't just a matter of length, it's also a matter of diameter.  For example, the freebore of the 223 Wylde chamber is narrower than the freebore of a 5.56mm NATO chamber, lending to its improved accuracy over a NATO chamber.

Additionally, the angle of the leade can come into play in the various chambers along with all the other variables.5.56mm NATO versus 223 Remington:  Chamber Differences

A SAAMI spec .223 Remington chamber will have a shorter leade with a sharper angle to the leade and a shorter amount of effective freebore than a 5.56mm NATO chamber. The freebore itself will also be narrower in the .223 Remington chamber.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/oobedcsfkc.jpg
raw pics courtesy of Ned Christiansen

With all other things being equal, the 5.56mm NATO chamber with its longer and shallower angled leade and longer amount of effective freebore will produce less chamber pressure than a .223 Remington chamber, when firing .223 Remington SAAMI Spec ammunition. Because of this, 5.56mm NATO amunition can be loaded to a pressure that would be considered excessive in a .223 Remington chamber, yet acceptable in a 5.56mm NATO chamber. (Pressures are measured using different methods between the two systems.)

The leade of a SAAMI 223 Remington chamber.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/uq9opx0xilyiuna58f75xmiqr2lsf04a.jpgThe official SAAMI 223 Remington drawing.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/kohxuqcxcp.jpg

http://www.box.net/shared/static/hcqot2dmni.jpg

From Jeff Hoffman, co-owner of Black Hills Ammunition

“The 5.56 IS a higher pressure/velocity cartridge, but it is made to a military standard, with different test methods, (and therefore is not easily directly comparable to .223 pressures) . . . the general spec for US 5.56 ammo is 58,700 psi max, measured at case mouth. . . Please note this is a different method than SAAMI transducer or copper crusher, as used on commercial ammunition. 5.56 ammunition spec results in ammunition loaded to a higher pressure level than commercial .223, but the test methods specified are different . . .The spec calls for a different pressure test method than SAAMI spec ammo, and is not directly comparable . . . “

Here's a very interesting quote posted by Ned Christiansen on M4carbine.net:

". . . In short, you can safely fire all 5.56 AND 223 ammunition in a gun properly chambered for 5.56. You MUST NOT fire 5.56 ammunition in a 223 rifle. As case in point, I fired XM193 5.56 ammunition in a 223 test barrel with average pressures (conformal transducer) of 72,550 psi, and peak pressure registered at 76,250 psi. . ."  

Since the SAAMI MAP for the .223 Remington is 55,000 PSI, that puts XM193 fired from a minimum spec .223 Remington chamber at 17,550 PSI over the maximum.

(The following is just a generalization to give a graphical demonstration of concept. DO NOT hold me to the exact numbers as they are not correct and they ignore the difference due to the different methods used to measure chamber pressure.)

Consider the left graph pictured below; M193 fired in a 5.56mm chamber. The pressure is within the MAP limit. Now, take the exact same round, (same powder, same charge of powder) and fire it from a .223 Remington chamber; pictured in the right graph below.

Because the .223 Remington chamber has a shorter and sharper angled leade compared to the 5.56mm chamber as well as a shorter effective free-bore, the bullet engages the rifling sooner in the .223 chamber than it would have in a 5.56mm chamber. This causes the pressure to rise faster, peak sooner and reach a higher (and per SAAMI, unsafe) level than it would have if the round had been fired from a 5.56mm chamber.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/rkuh8gzlj2.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

is it possible companies make a chamber in 556 but have 223 type freebore in order to increase accuracy, while retaining the "556 chamber"?  in which case, makes the 556 chamber useless...

PSA:  The freebore is part of "the chamber".  Basically speaking, a chamber consists of:

>  the body

>  the shoulder

>  the neck

>  the freebore

>  the leade

So to answer your question, any particualar chamber can have combinations of the above dimensions.  

Also, freebore isn't just a matter of length, it's also a matter of diameter.  For example, the freebore of the 223 Wylde chamber is narrower than the freebore of a 5.56mm NATO chamber, lending to its improved accuracy over a NATO chamber.

Additionally, the angle of the leade can come into play in the various chambers along with all the other variables.5.56mm NATO versus 223 Remington:  Chamber Differences

A SAAMI spec .223 Remington chamber will have a shorter leade with a sharper angle to the leade and a shorter amount of effective freebore than a 5.56mm NATO chamber. The freebore itself will also be narrower in the .223 Remington chamber.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/oobedcsfkc.jpg
raw pics courtesy of Ned Christiansen

With all other things being equal, the 5.56mm NATO chamber with its longer and shallower angled leade and longer amount of effective freebore will produce less chamber pressure than a .223 Remington chamber, when firing .223 Remington SAAMI Spec ammunition. Because of this, 5.56mm NATO amunition can be loaded to a pressure that would be considered excessive in a .223 Remington chamber, yet acceptable in a 5.56mm NATO chamber. (Pressures are measured using different methods between the two systems.)

The leade of a SAAMI 223 Remington chamber.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/uq9opx0xilyiuna58f75xmiqr2lsf04a.jpgThe official SAAMI 223 Remington drawing.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/kohxuqcxcp.jpg

http://www.box.net/shared/static/hcqot2dmni.jpg

From Jeff Hoffman, co-owner of Black Hills Ammunition

“The 5.56 IS a higher pressure/velocity cartridge, but it is made to a military standard, with different test methods, (and therefore is not easily directly comparable to .223 pressures) . . . the general spec for US 5.56 ammo is 58,700 psi max, measured at case mouth. . . Please note this is a different method than SAAMI transducer or copper crusher, as used on commercial ammunition. 5.56 ammunition spec results in ammunition loaded to a higher pressure level than commercial .223, but the test methods specified are different . . .The spec calls for a different pressure test method than SAAMI spec ammo, and is not directly comparable . . . “

Here's a very interesting quote posted by Ned Christiansen on M4carbine.net:

". . . In short, you can safely fire all 5.56 AND 223 ammunition in a gun properly chambered for 5.56. You MUST NOT fire 5.56 ammunition in a 223 rifle. As case in point, I fired XM193 5.56 ammunition in a 223 test barrel with average pressures (conformal transducer) of 72,550 psi, and peak pressure registered at 76,250 psi. . ."  

Since the SAAMI MAP for the .223 Remington is 55,000 PSI, that puts XM193 fired from a minimum spec .223 Remington chamber at 17,550 PSI over the maximum.

(The following is just a generalization to give a graphical demonstration of concept. DO NOT hold me to the exact numbers as they are not correct and they ignore the difference due to the different methods used to measure chamber pressure.)

Consider the left graph pictured below; M193 fired in a 5.56mm chamber. The pressure is within the MAP limit. Now, take the exact same round, (same powder, same charge of powder) and fire it from a .223 Remington chamber; pictured in the right graph below.

Because the .223 Remington chamber has a shorter and sharper angled leade compared to the 5.56mm chamber as well as a shorter effective free-bore, the bullet engages the rifling sooner in the .223 chamber than it would have in a 5.56mm chamber. This causes the pressure to rise faster, peak sooner and reach a higher (and per SAAMI, unsafe) level than it would have if the round had been fired from a 5.56mm chamber.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/rkuh8gzlj2.jpg

EXCELLENT post.

And the reason that ALL my AR barrels are 5.56.  Yes I paid more but I don't care.

The only ammo I ever had primer  issues with were was the Greek Olympic  shit and Adcom when it was being sold. [and those WERE problems with the ammo itself]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top