Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2016 11:58:14 AM EDT
I was given a case of this ammo and was wondering if it's worth using as a self defense load.  Does this load have a good record on the street?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#1]
It's older stuff that came out around 2006-2007.

There are multiple variations of the tru round including a bonded soft point and a ballistic tip version.

You have the E version loaded with a Sierra match king bthp.  ETA: some tru-e rounds were loaded with the gameking projectile and not the match king.  

I've got case of it as well.  Supposed to be accurate.

ETA2:
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#2]
It is still issue to the Tucson P D and has a great record if it doesn't have to go through something.  When it hits a perp straight on it tears them up.  .
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#3]
We use to carry T223E in our 1 -12 twist M16's.  I have an evidence photo where a suspect's forearms was almost blown in half OUCH but the round did not enter the torso and he didn't even drop the handgun.  It was some of the most accurate duty ammo I've ever been issued.  David
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We use to carry T223E in our 1 -12 twist M16's.  I have an evidence photo where a suspect's forearms was almost blown in half OUCH but the round did not enter the torso and he didn't even drop the handgun.
View Quote

And there's the reason that light-weight hollow-point/ballistic-tip bullets are piss poor choices for duty/self-defense loads.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:06:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And there's the reason that light-weight hollow-point/ballistic-tip bullets are piss poor choices for duty/self-defense loads.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We use to carry T223E in our 1 -12 twist M16's.  I have an evidence photo where a suspect's forearms was almost blown in half OUCH but the round did not enter the torso and he didn't even drop the handgun.

I wanted to quote it, but couldn't find the data again.  IIRC, it failed the fbi penetration test by an inch.

I took the ammo in trade and started trying to find out what I could.  There's a chart out there somewhere comparing the 3 variations of  the TRU ammunition.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top