Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2016 10:07:57 PM EDT
Heaviest 223 that will fit in an AR mag and cycle in an AR without feeding issues? Or will it all work? I was told 90gr and 100gr is too long? Which doesn't surprise me but interested to know for sure.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#1]
87gr jhp

I meant 77gr
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#2]
80gr smk's can be loaded to mag length, but they generally wont perform as well as a 77gr at mag length.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:19:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The Barnes 85 grain Match Burner can be loaded to magazine length and has functioned flawlessly for me.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:43:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Molon, what kind of velocity were you seeing with those 85gr pills?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:13:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Molon, what kind of velocity were you seeing with those 85gr pills?

View Quote

Factory loaded Barnes 85 grain Match Burner Ammunition

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Dear Sir,

I am greatly encouraged by your superb, ongoing, research.  Your attention to detail, I'm sure, has already, or will, save many lives, both in the present, and in the future...

I am posting now, because of my need for alternatives, due to my physical condition.  For years, I had been a fan, and user of, rifles in 7.62X51, in particular, M1A Super Matches and  PTR91 MSG SS...  Due to a stroke, two heart attacks, CHF, and other "challenges," I've had to regroup.  Have just purchased a LWRCI- DI, and will be using some of the bells and whistles used on my other, now previous, rifles.

Was looking at having a  precision .300 AAC Blackout upper made to go atop the new LWRCI- DI.  I've always been loathe to go with more than just one caliber, as supply, and now health, preclude that.  Seeing your evaluation of the Barnes 5.56 85gr OTM BT, I was impressed with the round, and its performance.  Ballistic-wise, to my untutored eye, it appears superior to most 75 and 77gr offerings.

For someone who is handicapped, do you think that the 85gr Barnes round will give me the ability to accomplish many of the things a .300 AAC Blackout would do?  I'm looking for both a hunting and defensive round, that as in all engineering, is, indeed, a compromise...  For pure defense, I've also been looking at Mk262 MOD-1, and Mk318 MOD-0, and if those are not available, PMC X-TAC...

Thank-You, Sir, for your time and kind consideration.

GBY&Y's

Maranatha

CFLeffen
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  For someone who is handicapped, do you think that the 85gr Barnes round will give me the ability to accomplish many of the things a .300 AAC Blackout would do?  I'm looking for both a hunting and defensive round, that as in all engineering, is, indeed, a compromise...  For pure defense, I've also been looking at Mk262 MOD-1, and Mk318 MOD-0, and if those are not available, PMC X-TAC...
View Quote

Posting the obvious from the peanut gallary, .300" Whisper/Blackout has the advantage over .223"/5.56mm in subsonic performance, which is handy in shooting hogs & burglars.  Of course, so does .45" ACP.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Several years ago (maybe a decade?) the military was experimenting with a 100 gr bullet and got really testy when anyone brought it up.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Hi, backbencher,

I have a G21 Gen3 for very close work, but even so, I've had to transition to a lighter G34 Gen4, for EDC.  My condtion puts a premium on the energy I can expend.  I've friends that have harvested hogs in NW AR, that have used 5.56X45, and so, I'm torn between going higher bullet weight, as in 85gr vs. their 77gr SMKs, rather than going to more than just a few different calibers, which would bring me from 5.56X45, 9mm, and .45acp, to the addition of .300 AAC Blackout.  

I guess I didn't put myself well, the first time around...  For light to medium game, or personal defense, would the 85gr Barnes be adequate, vis-à-vis a .300 Blackout, at 400 yards, and under?  This has nothing to do with game laws, but in a survival/WROL scenario...

Thanks for your input, backbencher...

GBY&Y's

Maranatha

CFLeffen
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#10]

+1 No issues for me either. I'm finding that these shoot well, extremely well.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top