Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/23/2016 3:18:45 PM EDT
I found an 840rd ammo can of 5.56 tracers on bandoleers that I bought a few years ago from a friend.

This stuff any good? I haven't shot any and don't know when I would anyways.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Tracers shoot fine, just like any other bullet.  Just know that theyre usually a heavier weight so ballistics may be different.

Not sure how old yours are, but if it's pretty dated the stuff may not work.  It may also be tough to see in the bright daylight.  If you really want to see if they work, shoot them a long distance (age can make them ignite later or not at all) and do it at dusk.  If they work, you'll know.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
They're not gonna be tack drivers, though - especially if the tracer compound breaks/flakes out or burns unevenly.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't they tend to be inaccurate?  Part of the mass of the bullet is burning off during flight.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had ok results with accuracy.  And better results with starting fires.  Last time we started a small fire 350 yds away we tried hammering the base of the fire with ball ammo, and it worked.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#5]
They shoot flatter because of the rocket on the back
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:46:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't they tend to be inaccurate?  Part of the mass of the bullet is burning off during flight.
View Quote

Yes, the mass will change slightly during flight and they are a bit heavier than standard ss109(green tip) giving it slightly different ballistics.  Unless something catastrophic happens when it burns (ie explodes), nothing is going to mess too much with the stability or drop.  They're intended to be mixed with standard ball ammo to "trace" the beaten zone and show the gunners where their rounds are hitting.  If they were dramatically less accurate or had significantly different ballistics, they wouldn't be very effective in the way that the military employs them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have had ok results with accuracy.  And better results with starting fires.  Last time we started a small fire 350 yds away we tried hammering the base of the fire with ball ammo, and it worked.
View Quote

Yeah - as somebody who has personally started a Kurdish  forest fire with tracers, they're kind of a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#8]
What are these 840rd M196 tracer cans on stripper clips going for?

I might as well sell it to someone who will use it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#9]
load you mags with 1 round ball then 3 rounds tracer then top off with ball. When you see the traceer you know your out and need to change your mag.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's actually true. It's called "base bleed" in other applications, and creates a low pressure area behind the bullet which decreases drag.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top