Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMI USA finally got back to me. I forwarded them pictures and info so they can get with their QC in Israel.  Will post when I hear back
View Quote

Any word back from them yet?
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I do not recall seeing the mentioned email above but just saw this post. I never had a single complaint about this ammo when I had it. We have a shipment coming in about 20 days of this same stuff, not sure what lot # it will be

Thanks

sam

http://www.SGAmmo.com
View Quote

Well, I'm glad to know that. I can't wait to pick some up in a couple of weeks and test some primers myself.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 1:00:15 AM EDT
[#3]
No word yet. I just sent another email asking for an update
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:45:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Finally spoke with their guys in Israel- organized through their US office.  They are concerned and want to rectify this.  They are getting the spent cases with issues along with the remainder of the ammo unfired in this lot ( they will replace with a different lot ) I'm curious what they come up with. Will update as I get more info
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Finally spoke with their guys in Israel- organized through their US office.  They are concerned and want to rectify this.  They are getting the spent cases with issues along with the remainder of the ammo unfired in this lot ( they will replace with a different lot ) I'm curious what they come up with. Will update as I get more info
View Quote

Thanks for update
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#6]
This is what I get for not reading the Ammo section in a while. Was just in Cabela's yesterday and purchased five boxes of this stuff, same lot number.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is what I get for not reading the Ammo section in a while. Was just in Cabela's yesterday and purchased five boxes of this stuff, same lot number.
View Quote

well then get out there and shoot some it and let us know...
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.
No issues here. Have fired over 120rds of iit so far.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:47:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I have just run through 200 rounds of IMI 77gr 00229/F and no problems to report.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Used another 160 rds of this lot this week with no blown primers or pressure signs.  I hope your incident was an isolated incident.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Update - all remaining ammo from this lot sent back to IMI along with a couple cases with blown primers.  I think they are sending back to Israel for their engineers to check out.  They are supposedly sending me replacement along with reimbursing for shippi cost back to them ( they only have a FedEx account and can't ship live ammo on FedEx - as per IMI rep in MD)

There is also another post with similar issues concerning IMI 5.56 M193 55gr. I'm in contact with that member and have already given IMI a heads up  I will be putting him in touch with the IMI reps I'm dealing with
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Shot some 77 grain IMI lot #00229F today and randomly picked it out of a 500 round case. It gave light ejector swipes on some cases and light extractor pulls on most all cases in one particular rifle. It has a new and unfired (but clean) 14.5" Colt govt. profile barrel. All primers looked ok and none were flattened beyond normal or backed out. This rifle is the only one that ejected cases out at 4:00. All others ejected at 2-3:00, where they normally eject at 3-4:00 with my handloads. This ammo is definitely higher pressure than my handloads but still acceptable. Outside temps were about 85 degrees. I used an Oehler 35P chronograph.

The other barrels, chambers and velocities I shot-
Bushmaster 7 twist carbine length gas, 16", 5.56 chamber-2720 fps (control lot #00235D gave 2740 fps)
Krieger 7.7 twist mid-gas, 16", Wylde chamber-2705 fps
WOA (Wilson) 7 twist mid-gas, 16", Wylde chamber-2726 fps
Suppressed Colt 7 twist SOCOM, carbine length gas, 14.5", 5.56 chamber-2612 fps
Colt govt profile, carbine length gas, 7 twist 14.5 ", 5.56 chamber-2606 fps (this barrel showed the pressure signs but I think it is more the rifle than the ammo)
FNMI govt profile, rifle length gas, 7 twist, 20", 5.56 chamber-2762 fps

Long story short, my ammo seems to be ok but I am hesitant to buy any more.

Link Posted: 8/5/2016 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#13]
It is being sent back to Israel for their engineers to do some testing on remaining lot and look at recovered brass/primers that showed issues

I'm seeing other issues with IMI M193 from another member on this board, along with some 7.62 X 51 issues ( tracer ammo mixed in regular ball) I am following up with these members and IMI to sort through all issues
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Even Federal Gold Medal ammo has experienced the same problem in the past in some rifles.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Even Federal Gold Medal ammo has experienced the same problem in the past in some rifles.
View Quote

What was the outcome?
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It is being sent back to Israel for their engineers to do some testing on remaining lot and look at recovered brass/primers that showed issues

I'm seeing other issues with IMI M193 from another member on this board, along with some 7.62 X 51 issues ( tracer ammo mixed in regular ball) I am following up with these members and IMI to sort through all issues
View Quote

Thank you for following up on this with IMI!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 11:03:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Shot some 77 grain IMI lot #00229F today and randomly picked it out of a 500 round case. It gave light ejector swipes on some cases and light extractor pulls on most all cases in one particular rifle. It has a new and unfired (but clean) 14.5" Colt govt. profile barrel. All primers looked ok and none were flattened beyond normal or backed out. This rifle is the only one that ejected cases out at 4:00. All others ejected at 2-3:00, where they normally eject at 3-4:00 with my handloads. This ammo is definitely higher pressure than my handloads but still acceptable. Outside temps were about 85 degrees. I used an Oehler 35P chronograph.

The other barrels, chambers and velocities I shot-
Bushmaster 7 twist carbine length gas, 16", 5.56 chamber-2720 fps (control lot #00235D gave 2740 fps)
Krieger 7.7 twist mid-gas, 16", Wylde chamber-2705 fps
WOA (Wilson) 7 twist mid-gas, 16", Wylde chamber-2726 fps
Suppressed Colt 7 twist SOCOM, carbine length gas, 14.5", 5.56 chamber-2612 fps
Colt govt profile, carbine length gas, 7 twist 14.5 ", 5.56 chamber-2606 fps (this barrel showed the pressure signs but I think it is more the rifle than the ammo)
FNMI govt profile, rifle length gas, 7 twist, 20", 5.56 chamber-2762 fps

Long story short, my ammo seems to be ok but I am hesitant to buy any more.

View Quote

i wouldnt worry. i have this same lot and shot without issues and have some of the IMI m193 suspect lot and fired it without issues. has anyone else been able to reproduce the problem with razor 77gr or the m193?

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I am running low on CBC 77grain which is what I have been using in 20 inch Wylde chamber Lothar Walther 1:8 twist barrel.

Do any of you guys see a problem using IMI Razor Core in a Wylde chamber?  

Depending on temperature the CBC is only needing 37 MOA come up for 1,000 yard zero.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I am running low on CBC 77grain which is what I have been using in 20 inch Wylde chamber Lothar Walther 1:8 twist barrel.

Do any of you guys see a problem using IMI Razor Core in a Wylde chamber?  

Depending on temperature the CBC is only needing 37 MOA come up for 1,000 yard zero.
View Quote

Not sure when or if any CBC is going to show up, so was looking at the Razor, but now not sure.. maybe if SGA gets more in with a different lot number..
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Just figured I'd post up some more data here, I was shooting the same lot a weekend ago and let the ammo bake in the sunlight for awhile, 86* weather.

Using a magnetospeed v3 chronograph I had the ammo spike from 2780s (5rd avg) to 2880s from an 18" barrel!

Blackhills did not exhibit this behavior. I'll have to do more testing but I have not noticed this before.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:54:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just figured I'd post up some more data here, I was shooting the same lot a weekend ago and let the ammo bake in the sunlight for awhile, 86* weather.

Using a magnetospeed v3 chronograph I had the ammo spike from 2780s (5rd avg) to 2880s from an 18" barrel!

Blackhills did not exhibit this behavior. I'll have to do more testing but I have not noticed this before.
View Quote

that seems like pretty pertinent info! did you notice any primer flatness changes in those spiked rounds?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

that seems like pretty pertinent info! did you notice any primer flatness changes in those spiked rounds?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I couldn't tell any difference in primers, the only change I found on the brass was a heavier case head swipe. If I can find the brass I'll post up some pics.

I'm also going to go out sometime soon and see if It's repeatable, although I don't believe it was a fluke.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#23]
UPDATE 8-31-16

IMI is sending me new ammo.  They are supposedly sending me a little more then I returned to them for my troubles- will see when it arrives

The ammo in question is still waiting at IMI's US office to go back to Israel.  They are awaiting ITAR clearance from the State Dept which I'm told can take several months.  They did send me a check to cover shipping the ammo back to their US office

I know there were some similar issues with a lot of IMI M193- I put the OP in contact with IMI and haven't heard anymore / not in a position to be uodated. Maybe he can post a status update here or in his thread?
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:41:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Updates?
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 12:38:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
UPDATE 8-31-16

IMI is sending me new ammo.  They are supposedly sending me a little more then I returned to them for my troubles- will see when it arrives

The ammo in question is still waiting at IMI's US office to go back to Israel.  They are awaiting ITAR clearance from the State Dept which I'm told can take several months.  They did send me a check to cover shipping the ammo back to their US office

I know there were some similar issues with a lot of IMI M193- I put the OP in contact with IMI and haven't heard anymore / not in a position to be uodated. Maybe he can post a status update here or in his thread?
View Quote

Ummm, aren't you the OP?

And I second the "any updates?"
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:35:38 AM EDT
[#26]
No updates from IMI. As posted previously from IMI, will take months before going back to Israel ( waiting on ITAR approval ) before the engineers there can start testing

I am the OP for the issues with 77 gr razor core.  I am NOT the OP for the issues with the 5.56 M193 ammo- that is someone else that I put in touch with my POC at IMI . There is a different thread for that
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Picked up a 500 case of the 77gr Razor Core a few months ago. After shooting about half of it, I've had a bunch of blown primers and other pressure sign. I've used this ammo (different lots) in the past and never had any issues whatsoever in my Mk12 Mod 1. After first noticing this, I went over the rifle, cleaned out chamber really well, etc. Again, blown primers. Wanted to try some other ammo, so I shot up the last of my CBC 77gr and half a box of Black Hills 5.56 Nato spec 77 OTM. These all shot well with no signs of pressure. Looks like my lot of 77gr Razor Core has some issues as well. Anyone else??

OP- thanks for the updates. I might save the rest of this lot and send it back..

LOT 00225/G
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:57:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a pile of 77 Gr razor core. Shot my first 20 with no issues. Lot 0239.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Picked up a 500 case of the 77gr Razor Core a few months ago. After shooting about half of it, I've had a bunch of blown primers and other pressure sign. I've used this ammo (different lots) in the past and never had any issues whatsoever in my Mk12 Mod 1. After first noticing this, I went over the rifle, cleaned out chamber really well, etc. Again, blown primers. Wanted to try some other ammo, so I shot up the last of my CBC 77gr and half a box of Black Hills 5.56 Nato spec 77 OTM. These all shot well with no signs of pressure. Looks like my lot of 77gr Razor Core has some issues as well. Anyone else??

OP- thanks for the updates. I might save the rest of this lot and send it back..

LOT 00225/G
http://i.imgur.com/RKG8psLh.jpg
View Quote

As a reloader those cases are very concerning. Not a chance in hell I'd be shooting that stuff. Better bullets than the 77 SMK out there anyway IMO.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Anybody else with problems with lot 00225G?  I just ordered some from SGammo.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Well that sucks ! I just got a case this week same lot# and my other case that I have also same lot#  anybody else have problems with LOT 00225/G
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I just got a case of it too.  I thought they were over the problems.  

Cheap ammo is cheap.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

As a reloader those cases are very concerning. Not a chance in hell I'd be shooting that stuff. Better bullets than the 77 SMK out there anyway IMO.
View Quote

I agree, the pressure signs are concerning. I've always thought these IMI 77s were pretty hot, even previous lots I've used. Last time I checked, I think they were averaging 2815+ fps out of my 18" Douglas (suppressed). Up until now, I've never had them blowing primers like this. Maybe a few almost flattened primers and case head swipes here and there.

There may be better bullets than the 77 SMK out there, but they group extremely well out of my particular barrel, so I'm sticking with them.. maybe just atop my own handloads from here on out.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I think SGammo reads this thread.  Can you comment on any reported problems with 225G, SG?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Lot 00239F has been great for me
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Lot 00239F has been great for me
View Quote

Me too. Great ammo and the one my 1:7 barrel likes best.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I think this thread has had a beneficial effect on amno suppliers.  SGA identifies lot number.   00225/G.

Target Sports and Cabellas do not ID lot # that I could find.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#38]
May or may not matter...

In my experience, IMI ammo is loaded to full power/velocity Mil Spec.  It is 5.56 and is designed to be fired in a mil spec 5.56 chamber.  I burned through a lot of it some years back and it was good ammo but was not tollerant of any variation in chamber or gas system.  It ran great in my Colt factory 14.4 inch gun.  It was giving pressure signs in my home built Recce rifle with a CLE chamber.  

Keep in mind...unless you have gauged it, it may or may not actually be the chamber that is marked on the barrel.  

YMMV, just food for thought.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:47:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone had issues with the IMI 69 otm? I plan to pick up 1000 rounds this week since I'm stocked up on plinking ammo and my guns love most 69 otm.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Anyone had issues with the IMI 69 otm? I plan to pick up 1000 rounds this week since I'm stocked up on plinking ammo and my guns love most 69 otm.
View Quote

I'd go with ADI Outback 69gr SMK.  Super accurate and never any trouble out of ADI at all.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Does IMI repeat lot #'s year after year?

I have a few cases from a few years ago (head stamp is '13) but the Lot # is 00235/D. They were purchased back a few years when this load first came out.

The few hundred rounds that I have shot all worked great with no issued.

Are the problem (suspected) lots of this ammo from 2016 or some previous year?
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:14:47 PM EDT
[#42]
SGAMMO has a post from Sept. 20 in their industry forum regarding razorcore that I had not previously seen.  The basics are razorcore is hot, some rifles have "pre-existing conditions" making them more prone to failure with razorcore, this is not symptomatic of any specific razorcore lot, and this is not solely a characteristic of razorcore; any hot ammo has risks.  This seems like a fair statement to me.  

Then my question for the industry is, can primers be attached to the case in a more secure manner that doesn't significantly impede manufacturing, significantly increase cost, and prevent easy primer removal for reloading.  I'm guessing they've already said no.

Is Berdan the economical answer to primers popping out and reloading is just very difficult?
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 12:52:19 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm not buying SGs post.  My issues occurred in colt and LMT M4s- all very low round count rifles and several of each. No issues with 75 gr hirnady or BH MK262 in these rifles   Other lots of same IMI fired in these and other ( similar ) rifles with no issues
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm not buying SGs post.  My issues occurred in colt and LMT M4s- all very low round count rifles and several of each. No issues with 75 gr hirnady or BH MK262 in these rifles   Other lots of same IMI fired in these and other ( similar ) rifles with no issues
View Quote

i'd believe them. i have barrels that have no problems with both IMI types that are popping primers (77 razor and m193) and i have barrels that wont tollerate it. i'd agree that some chambers are not cut to mil spec dimensions. probably not intentionally but due to wore out chamber reamers.

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I could shoot it all through my bolt action.  

If it's loaded that hot, it'll be smokin' from a 26" bolt gun.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Is 77 grain lot number 00229/F the only IMI that has shown excessive pressure?

I have a Wylde 1:8 chamber and wanted to stock up on long range ammo but like many of us here are a little gunshy of doing so without checking lot numbers in our rifles first.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Also possibly 225G.  See upwards 10 or so posts.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 4:27:29 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm about to order some of this to try out of my 1:8  barrels, they have all ran fine with hot ammo so I'll report back if I have pressure signs.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Zero issues with the lot 00239/F
View Quote

That's good to hear.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Well..... Not the same ammo, but same issues. I ran a two day tactical rifle course and had three blown primers with IMI 69 gr. Razor core, out of 600 rounds. I'm running it out of a Daniel defense contract barreled MK18 suppressed and unsuppresed. Lot # 00217/G. I have 1000 rounds left of the ammo, same lot. I wish I had kept the brass, but it was a pretty intense course with dark room shooting. I wasnt able to get my hands on the brass as I had to egress after the malfunctions. Got pretty good at pulling the mangled primers out of the barrel extension though.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top