Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/21/2016 4:37:28 PM EDT
Need help with my plan of ammo choices for the AR-15...

What I want to plan:

A) SHTF ammo. This is ammo to protect good life from bad life, so I want it to be top tier.

B) Training ammo. Ammo needs to be plentiful, cheap, accurate enough, not wear out a rifle quicker than something else (non-corrosive and brass). Training ammo might become my SHTF ammo, so don't want to compromise too much between training ammo quality and price.

C) Training and SHTF ammo should have similar characterister and not shoot differently.

Been looking at DocGKR barrier blind duty loads. The implied top tier recommendation is 62 gr, and thinking my SHTF and training ammo grain should be too. The problem I have is the choices are limited for civilians.

For example:

Federal 62gr XM556FBIT3
SGAmmo Search Results = NA

Winchester 64gr Q3313

Winchester 64gr RA556B
SGAmmo Search Results = $1.65 /rd

So far that's not looking optimistic to me.

The next tier of "acceptable" choices are:

Black Hills 5.56 mm 50gr TSX

Hornady 5.56 mm 55gr GMX
SGAmmo Search Results = $0.85 /rd when in stock

So I'm forced away from 62 grain. Remaining choices are Winchester's 64 gr and Hornady 55 grain. The caution I have with Winchester is the speculation of why it is being sold to civilians (quality?). Winchester is 64gr, which would differ from the 62gr training ammo. And last, I rather not support manufacturers that don't make civilian sales important to their business.

So this is leading me to Hornady 55gr for SHTF and XM193 55gr for training. But the military doesn't use XM193, so why should I? And then hunting rounds...good enough take deer or hog, so why not 2 legged animals, but not on the list? Forums are filled with hearsy, variety, people who say 5.56 isn't great, or some use it for hunting. It all creates doubt and uncertrainty.

So what would be a good realistic plan?

Rifle Specs:
16"
1:7 twist
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy all the Wolf Gold you can afford.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know, guys, but at 33 cpr shipped, IMI M193 is what I'm trying to accumulate as money allows  Sam @ SGAmmo said that he will not be getting more until late summer when the current batch runs out.  That's too close to election time for me.  Once the IMI is gone, and if Sam still has Wolf Gold, that would be next.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Wolf Gold 55 gr, IMI what ever grain you choose.
Palmetto State has 64 gr Gold Dot for .50 a round plus shipping, Fusion is also good and in somewhat the price range. Most "LE" rounds can be had but many are expensive for stocking.

MK318 is a daisy if you can afford it.

Stay away from M855, the Army gives it glowing reviews but the people using the stuff don't, and I'm one of them. I was using 80's vintage, it was not so hot then and seems to still be less than optimum.

You have an advantage over some of us, you can use just about anything out there.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy ammo opportunistically.....that's what I do.  I have a core ammo case of premium rounds of different manufacturers and ammo ranging from Hornady  Tap 75 grain BT to Buffalo Bore Sniper to Fed lake city M855 and everything in between.  That case/footlocker could be considered my SHTF core and then I acquire for the range as I can.  This can consist of reloaded ammo on sale from Freedom to cheap sales at Walmart/Bass Pro/Dicks sporting of  AE223 to XM193.  

Keep in mind that while Federal AE223 or XM193 is not exactly la-creme-de-la-creme of expanding projectiles it is in fact top tier ammo in modest ("cheap if you will") packaging and at modest cost.  So if you have this on hand....even at the back of your shelf....you have something indeed!

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I got tired head after too much deliberation and finally settled on MK318 Mod 0 62 grain OTM. I still have a lot of premium quality in other makes and a bunch of cheaper stuff as well but I am trying to standardize and DOPE all my optics to that.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:24:43 AM EDT
[#7]
The Win RA556B or Black Hills TSX. Fusion or Gold Dot in .223 .

Cost should not be a consideration for SD ammo. It's not like you will be blasting away with it at the range.

Pay for a couple hundred rounds of what your HD rifle shoots the best. It doesn't need to be 1 moa either.

Invest in that and then stock up on 193 or 855 or whatever you want for shtf.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:25:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cost should not be a consideration for SD ammo. It's not like you will be blasting away with it at the range.

Pay for a couple hundred rounds of what your HD rifle shoots the best. It doesn't need to be 1 moa either.

View Quote

You make a lot of sense.  I bought 500 .223 64gr Speer GD, 600 5.56 75gr Hornady LE T2, and 400 5.56 75gr Hornady LE SBR, all for SD.  I hope I never have to use this ammo for its intended purpose.  Realizing that, I think I could have gone less on this ammo and bought more M193 and Wolf Gold.  Can't have too much ammo, but I could have been smarter on what ammo to stock.  But, I suppose that given the uncertainty of the political environment, part of the reasoning was to have on hand enough ammo for at least 4 years.  Even for that period 1500 SD rounds should hopefully be more than enough.  Should have said, you make a lot of cents
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#9]
im also on the 62/64gr train. ive been experimenting with and building a 62gr stock since about november last year

ive had a good supply of speer gold dot 64gr for bad guys/bad days but now im buying fusion MSR 62 when i can find better than usual deals on it.

for plinking and run and gunning ive been using a variety of 62g ammos ive got pretty solid deals on (federal green tips 1200 rounds for 28c per rd!) aguilla 62g i got for 37c per round and some colt branded silver bear i got for abo 31c per round

green tips, they but nothing noteworthy i use it for run n' gunning... sometimes they can be found real cheap but usually just affable prices. and i dont mind paying the 5-7cents more per round for american made stuff... nothing wrong with cheaper asian or isreali ammo because i do own a lot of both, its just my personal ethos.
aguilla 62, i get the tightest groups with from the bench and i treat it as "trouble shooting" ammo- i wish i could find more for less than the 41c per round i can find it at now
colt 62g, i was having the worst time with it in the winter, but its working better and better on warm days

of course i have my piles of wolf gold, federal ar223, xm193 etc but ive been dedicating my rifle's zeros and legitimate training to 62 g variants.
i wish wolf made gold in 62g like they do with the steel cased stuff with military classic or polyformance
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 4:03:29 PM EDT
[#10]
By SHTF I mean anytime we need to use a firearm to save our lives or that of another innocent person is a SHTF situation. If we don't survive it that is the end
So I have 2 son's who are former 82nd so they have mucho experience with guns. My wife has been shooting as long as we've been married. 1776. well almost.

Son's each with a 6920 M4gery. All spiffed up. Each has fired thousands of rounds of M193 and I see no reason to change so each has their gear. We loaded 5 mags of issue M193. 2 mags of Hornady Urban for immediate use in their neighborhood. (Phoenix for one, Tucson the other) As my son's each has oodles of handguns. One has a Sig 229 DAK 40 with a loaded mag of Winchester Ranger. The other has a CZ40 also with Win Ranger. Of course they have many other mags. One is married and his spouse carries a Glock 42. I purchased soft armor for each and spouses.

For me. I keep my M4 stoked with a ready mag of Hornady Urban, (We have 7 ten year olds in one cul de sac) I have 4 mags loaded with Hornady 5.56 TAP 75 grain T-2 bullet in a chest pack. Soft and hard armor depending on situation..

All of us have competition HBAR's that we use several times a year at 600 meters. Each has several loaded 20 rounders of Hand loaded 77 Geain Nosler bthp in Lapua brass.
Of course I have instant access fo my CORE with RMR and my wife has her Sig P290.
Several years ago we had the Monument fire in our area and half the town had to evacuate. We were one block away from the evac order and we expected to go in the next group. We learned quickly what shtf means. We learned what go bags are and what to take.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I have opted for M855 and M193 for training/range/ stockpile shtf ammo.  They might not be the best thing in the world but should it come down to it M855 and M193 will kill people. For my go to premium SD ammo I am stocking up on Federal Fusion MSR. Right now I have my go to HD rifle loaded with 68gr OTM as the primary mag with a spare mag being 55gr gold dot.  My Recce rifle has the fusions loaded but it isnt my go to bump in the night should shtf where I need be out looking for supplies (zombies bio attack real end of the world stuff) I would take the Recce.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You make a lot of sense.  I bought 500 .223 64gr Speer GD, 600 5.56 75gr Hornady LE T2, and 400 5.56 75gr Hornady LE SBR, all for SD.  I hope I never have to use this ammo for its intended purpose.  Realizing that, I think I could have gone less on this ammo and bought more M193 and Wolf Gold.  Can't have too much ammo, but I could have been smarter on what ammo to stock.  But, I suppose that given the uncertainty of the political environment, part of the reasoning was to have on hand enough ammo for at least 4 years.  Even for that period 1500 SD rounds should hopefully be more than enough.  Should have said, you make a lot of cents
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, the worst case scenario is not to stock for just 4 years, but that we would never be able to buy guns or ammo again.  
Most people stockpile for that eventuality. I think the IMI and WG are good for that.
Everyone is different, but I also like to try to be consistent and budget/spend $100/month on SD ammo like the Speer GD at ~$.50/rd too.
I view it like insurance on another vehicle or similar.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:47:14 PM EDT
[#13]
pmc bronze is had to beat @ $.30/

i prefer barrier blind load for shooting @ living targets.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top