Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/29/2016 9:35:39 PM EDT
I've become aware that the reason 8,10 and 12 inch barrels are so popular in 300 BLK is at least partly due to the fact that
300BLK loads usually use pistol powder so that they can burn clean with the reduced barrel length.  I don't see barrel
length standards when velocity specs are given for this round for just about any ammo sold.  So the question is, if I have
an AR upper with an 16" barrel is the off the shelf 300 BLK ammo sold by most manufacturers not optimal and geared toward
shorter barrels?  I have not been able to find much info on this.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes....and pistol length gas tubes have worked best for me in 300bo
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#2]
MOST load data velocities I've seen are all based on 16" barrels. The one I've seen that wasn't stated 16.5" barrel suppressed. Since 16" is the BATFE minimum (without paperwork) that is usually the minimum.

If they are using 9" barrels and getting 2200 fps, I'd like to see what 16" gets.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:10:43 PM EDT
[#3]
It's because you need to post this in the reloading forum.  Ammo forum isn't the same thing as reloading forum.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If they are using 9" barrels and getting 2200 fps, I'd like to see what 16" gets.
View Quote

This is indeed the question, especially with pistol powder.  Would it be less since expansion may be nearly complete by about 8-10" and the bullet is essentially
dragging down the last 6" of barrel ?  Could this be why custom loads seem to be very popular with this round?  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top