Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/20/2016 9:23:40 AM EDT
So what's with all the hate about ZQI ammo? I watched a video about it yesterday and read a few comments, you would think that the person who made the video slapped a few momma's around the way some people were talking. (Along the lines of go fornicate yourself you unpatriotic blah blah blah, deport this blah blah blah)

I mean I use ZQI on occasions, its good ammo for the price, and I don't worry if it's dirty or not cause I clean my guns after I can them anyway for the most part. What I'm trying to figure out is, why so much hate for something that goes bang like all the rest and shoots just as good for the most part? With the way things are going and with ammo getting harder to come by in some case you would think they would stop all this "OH MY GOD ITS FROM TURKEY BAN IT AND PEOPLE WHO USE IT" mentality.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:05:08 AM EDT
[#1]
The gun community has its fair share of pompous "better-than-you" assholes just like every other group.  The trick is identifying them so you can immediately disregard their opinions.  Usually the dead give away is how strongly they feel about something that shouldn't matter, like the origin of ammo.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The gun community has its fair share of pompous "better-than-you" assholes just like every other group.  The trick is identifying them so you can immediately disregard their opinions.  Usually the dead give away is how strongly they feel about something that shouldn't matter, like the origin of ammo.
View Quote

Well said.

ZQI is legit and well made for an amazing price.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I have shot several hundred rounds myself and have several hundred more for plinking and shtf stash.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:29:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep buying. My neighbors need the jobs!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably because it's made in Turkey and some can't get on board with that.  It can be from Mars if it arms me on the cheap.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Their 5.56 stuff is good. I've shot a bit of it and never noticed any difference from the usual stuff.

Their .308 is absolute junk though, or at least the lot I got. Reviews are pretty mixed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So what's with all the hate about ZQI ammo? I watched a video about it yesterday and read a few comments, you would think that the person who made the video slapped a few momma's around the way some people were talking. (Along the lines of go fornicate yourself you unpatriotic blah blah blah, deport this blah blah blah)

I mean I use ZQI on occasions, its good ammo for the price, and I don't worry if it's dirty or not cause I clean my guns after I can them anyway for the most part. What I'm trying to figure out is, why so much hate for something that goes bang like all the rest and shoots just as good for the most part? With the way things are going and with ammo getting harder to come by in some case you would think they would stop all this "OH MY GOD ITS FROM TURKEY BAN IT AND PEOPLE WHO USE IT" mentality.
View Quote

I hate it because it is NOT particularly inexpensive, and is considerably less accurate than other less-expensive readily available ammo options.  I can't see any reason to use it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

And their inevitable mutual admiration societies which look a lot like circle jerks.

Just ignore them.

And I have been fully satisfied with ZQI ammo.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe because Soviet surplus ammo - 7.62x54R out of an iron sighted Mosin - groups better than ZQI 7.62x51 out of a scoped Savage 10FCP-SR?  It gave me a pattern approaching 5" at 100 yards compared to a 1 1/8" group with FGMM shot at the same time.

That might just maybe, possibly, have a slight potential influence for some of us?  Idk, just thinking out loud . . .

I do have dome of the 5.56 that I haven't run yet, and I'm hopeful that it'll perform acceptably, but I have yet to encounter anyone who's had acceptable results (2-3"?) with their 7.62x51
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Maybe because Soviet surplus ammo - 7.62x54R out of an iron sighted Mosin - groups better than ZQI 7.62x51 out of a scoped Savage 10FCP-SR?  It gave me a pattern approaching 5" at 100 yards compared to a 1 1/8" group with FGMM shot at the same time.

That might just maybe, possibly, have a slight potential influence for some of us?  Idk, just thinking out loud . . .

I do have dome of the 5.56 that I haven't run yet, and I'm hopeful that it'll perform acceptably, but I have yet to encounter anyone who's had acceptable results (2-3"?) with their 7.62x51
View Quote

Wait, you too? I had exactly the same results with my Savage 11. Couldn't get it under 5-6 inches at 100yds. FGMM was MOA or better.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:10:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Nothing to do with country of origin.

I bought a few boxes of the 7.62 NATO.  

It's not clean burning powder.  My l1a1 was dirtier after 20 rounds of it than 100+ rounds of either Varget charged handloads, Lake City delinked military belted, or Hirtenberger.  

It's all over the place for powder charge.  My l1a1 needed multiple gas system adjustments to cycle reliably.  All the other stuff I shoot is set it once on the first few rounds and you're good to go.  While it felt pretty good to be able to adjust the system so the rifle would eject anything I shot, the regular and over charged rounds slammed the bolt carrier hard against the lower receiver.  

The 5.56 stuff might be better.  But I won't buy the 7.62 any more.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't have to worry about the 7.62x51 or x54, nor the 308.........since I only run Hornady and Federal through my bolt 308 lol

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:58:58 AM EDT
[#13]
ZQI is good value for the priced paid. I'm totally happy with my purchase, because it's been great out of my SCAR. If  i want to shoot for groups i will shoot FGMM out of a bolt gun.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:20:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now you have
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:00:09 AM EDT
[#15]
That shit is junk, both 7.62 and 5.56. Unfortunately I didn't find out until after I bought several thousand rounds . 7.62 was horribly inaccurate out of multiple .308s and kept getting blown primers when suppressing 5.56.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That shit is junk, both 7.62 and 5.56. Unfortunately I didn't find out until after I bought several thousand rounds . 7.62 was horribly inaccurate out of multiple .308s and kept getting blown primers when suppressing 5.56.
View Quote

Thats interesting. Looks like Ill need to shoot the couple cases of 556 before I leave RI and move to  a suppressor friendly state. You're the second person here to have blown primers.

Besides that the 556 is decent .30cpr ammo. I get 4moa with my 20" a2.

The 762 in my savage hog hunter averages around 3". Thats with 1-2 1.5moa groups per box. Then Ill get a 4moa group. Great for shooting steel inside 500 yards.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'm sure you could sell that "junk" rather well here in the EE.

I have had nothing but positive experience with the 5.56 SS109 ammo. It flies almost as well as IMI for me. I averaged 2.78MOA when shooting three 10-shot groups with it, using my 14.5" Colt SOCOM barreled rifle. I have not shot any suppressed, but I hope to change that in the near future.

Heck, depending on how many cases you have left and the price, I might be interested in taking that "junk" off your hands.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#18]
After the blown primer issue in several rifles including one blown primer that completely shut down my tavor (which I had to fully disassemble) I traded all of the zq ammo for a good amount of hornady sst 7.62x39
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

After the blown primer issue in several rifles including one blown primer that completely shut down my tavor (which I had to fully disassemble) I traded all of the zq ammo for a good amount of hornady sst 7.62x39
View Quote

That's too bad (that you had issues).

Did you ever contact ZQI? Thus far, I've had good communications with them as well (when call their US base of operations)
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#20]
It actually taught me that one tiny little primer can take down a rifle, I had purchased the zq when walmart had a 2daysale  on it a couple of years ago, so I actually made out like a bandit when I traded for the sst.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't doubt anyone's experience here but I've fired just shy of 1,500 rounds through a suppressed 16" colt, suppressed 14.5 build, and suppressed 12.5" sbr build.  Zero issues.  Rand extremely well for 300+ rounds in a Protective Shooting Concepts class a couple weeks back.  Just bought 2 more cases from AIM.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:39:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Don't doubt anyone's experience here but I've fired just shy of 1,500 rounds through a suppressed 16" colt, suppressed 14.5 build, and suppressed 12.5" sbr build.  Zero issues.  Rand extremely well for 300+ rounds in a Protective Shooting Concepts class a couple weeks back.  Just bought 2 more cases from AIM.
View Quote

Similar in that I've had no issues at all through about 800 rounds so far of the M855 ammo. Shot in a suppressed SCAR, suppressed AUG, and suppressed AR, they all ran just fine and no pierced primers or backed out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:30:17 AM EDT
[#23]
i can say the same also, i have shot hundreds of ZQI  9mm, 5.56mm and their 7.62mm ammo with zero issues. I will continue to stock  up on all of the above when i get some more cash.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Despite all the ZQI 7.62mm hate, I ran 40 rounds of both White and Green box through my Savage 10FP 2 weeks ago and it ran on par or better than Lake City M80 ball. I'm currently sitting on 5K and hitting every Walmart I drive by for more. I've aslo got 800 rounds of ZQI 9mm stashed and watng on a price rollback at my local Wallyworld on a 1200 round ammocan of the stuff.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Despite all the ZQI 7.62mm hate, I ran 40 rounds of both White and Green box through my Savage 10FP 2 weeks ago and it ran on par or better than Lake City M80 ball. I'm currently sitting on 5K and hitting every Walmart I drive by for more. I've aslo got 800 rounds of ZQI 9mm stashed and watng on a price rollback at my local Wallyworld on a 1200 round ammocan of the stuff.

View Quote

Seems like there's more people who like the 7.62 than I would have thought based on my friend's and my experiences. Oh well, it's good to know that i shouldn't have much trouble selling or trading my stash.

You did bring up something I forgot to mention previously - their 9mm ammo. It's actually pretty good stuff - my factory M&P barrel grouped it well, although it's not as good in my threaded Storm Lake barrel,  although it may be because of the different twist rates.  It was notably better than Winchester White Box, just a little better than a basic Federal 115 load, but not quite as good as Winchester NATO or American Eagle 147 gr.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Try some in your gun and see if your gun likes it.  That's really the only way to find out whether the Internet babble is worth even noticing.

Turkey is a NATO country, and ZQI ammo is made in the same state plant, on the same machinery as the ammunition Turkey makes for its military (and by extension, for NATO).  The M80 equivalent stuff should meet the minimum standards for that round - which is kind of UNprecise to be honest.  Just like M855, this run-of-the-mill round should be able to do 4MOA or so, even through a very good barrel.  WAY too many people somehow think that "military ammunition is super accurate stuff," when that's not at all the case.  Getting better than "minute of man" accuracy, consistently, is a good thing.  Want precision rounds?  DON'T think of a mass produced, issued to everyone, intended to be inexpensive to produce round as a "precision" anything...
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Try some in your gun and see if your gun likes it.  That's really the only way to find out whether the Internet babble is worth even noticing.
Turkey is a NATO country, and ZQI ammo is made in the same state plant, on the same machinery as the ammunition Turkey makes for its military (and by extension, for NATO).  The M80 equivalent stuff should meet the minimum standards for that round - which is kind of UNprecise to be honest.  Just like M855, this run-of-the-mill round should be able to do 4MOA or so, even through a very good barrel.  WAY too many people somehow think that "military ammunition is super accurate stuff," when that's not at all the case.  Getting better than "minute of man" accuracy, consistently, is a good thing.  Want precision rounds?  DON'T think of a mass produced, issued to everyone, intended to be inexpensive to produce round as a "precision" anything...
View Quote
Exactly.

My 14.5" Colt loves it. I averaged 2.78MOA over three 10-shot groups when I benched it. I've used it on echo silhouette targets out to 500 yards. It's my second favorite M855/SS109 ammo, next to IMI.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/692872_ZQI_5_56x45mm_SS109_quick_accuracy_evaluation.html

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I've shot several boxes of the 7.62 in my AR and two FALs.  Every round fired and hit the target...somewhere.  I wasn't trying to wring much accuracy out of it, but it didn't seem too bad.

I have read that the neck sealant and/or crimp may be the cause of less than stellar accuracy in it.  Some have claimed much better accuracy after setting the bullet back a tiny amount with a seating die.  I have two boxes left right now and I may try a test by setting back the bullets in one box and leaving the other "as is".  Even if this is the case, having to do this doesn't make the ammo any better as most shooters of "blasting ammo" want to shoot, not "reseat".

Rob
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Last year I used ZQI 7.62 in my 7.62 garand at the gerand match in taladega al . It was ok . This year I pulled out the ZQI and the m1 again I set up a200 yard small bore target at 200 yards I fired 20 rounds that look like a shot gun pattern . I tried it out of my fal same thing . Pulled out some South African 7.62 made in 1981 and fired out of both rifles . Night and day difference . Both rifles where able to keep a respectable size group. I'm going to burn up my ZQI and use the brass to reload! I asked on cmp forum if other people have had issues with ZQI and accuracy almost 8 post complaining of the quality of the ammo.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#30]
The ZQI 7.62x51 runs good in auto loaders as far as relability goes .... Accuracy is OK but it isn't close to their MOA guarantee

This stuff seems to print between 3-5moa out of SCAR 17, LWRC Repr, LaRue OBR/PredatOBR

Lake city and hirtenberger ball prints around 2moa out of all of those rifles mentioned above

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Have you shot it past 100 yards ? I shot it at 100 and it did ok ,I took it to 200 and oh my god it was awful .
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:06:42 AM EDT
[#32]
So ammo made to NATO standard, something like and extreme spread of 24 inches at 550 meters isn't as accurate as Federal Gold Medal Match? That's a surprise to anyone? It's cheap plinking ammo, not competition or sniper ammo.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So ammo made to NATO standard, something like and extreme spread of 24 inches at 550 meters isn't as accurate as Federal Gold Medal Match? That's a surprise to anyone? It's cheap plinking ammo, not competition or sniper ammo.
View Quote

I agree but out of all the ball ammo I own or have shot it's the worst in the accuracy department

I still think it's a decent buy for brass cased ball ammo

I can't speak for the 5.56 ammo as I have never shot it for groups ..... Just the 7.62x51

It does also annoy me they claim 1 MOA ....
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#34]
I think their "1 MOA" claim is overstated.  ZQI's web site states this about their 7.62 NATO M80:
Max. mean radius 1.38 in @ 100 m
View Quote

(Click on the picture, not the "add to cart" button, for details.)

A mean radius of 1.38 inches means a mean diameter of 2.68 inches.  Does this mean that every magazine full of the stuff will produce groups no larger than 2.68 inches across?  Not at all.  It means that each batch/lot of the stuff will average this level of accuracy.  That's consistent with the NATO requirement for 7.62 ball rounds.

Keep in mind that averages don't always "average out" for each individual shooter.  One shooter may buy a case that drives tacks at 200 meters, while another shooter's case might splatter all over a target at 100 meters.  The important thing to focus on is that if some people get absolutely crappy accuracy, that should mean that others should get fabulous accuracy.

In reality though, you should expect roughly 2 3/4" groups at 100 yards, and be very happy if you get better than that.  And DON'T even think about judging your rifle by how accurate this stuff is in it!  Use actual "precision" ammunition to judge the rifle (and your skills), and then judge the ZQI ammunition based on how well your rifle can do with really precise ammunition.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top