Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/17/2016 9:02:31 PM EDT
So, I've got a fair amount of XM193 purchased from between 2003 and 2005.  It's very consistent and surprisingly accurate out of the chrome barrel 5.56 chambers on my AR's.  Really love this round.  

My question is this:  Is the current stuff in the black boxes or the Ammo cans on strippers the same?  Re-used Lake City brass loaded hot?  It's a lot pricier than before, but at least it's available.  I don't have enough of it to last more than another year or so.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#1]
It's loaded the same. I suppose it varies lot to lot. It's new Lake City Brass.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It's very consistent and surprisingly accurate out of the chrome barrel 5.56 chambers on my AR's.  

View Quote

You must have gotten your hands on some of the fabled Lot #3.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Hush, we are not to speak of LOT#3.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#4]
That's actually a good question. The Federal Lake City XM193 I recently bought (the 30rounds on strippers package) said the velocity was 3180 fps, if I remember correctly. I thought the usual XM193 listed velocity at 3200 or 3240. The brass on my sample is LC14. It shoots fine, 2-3moa and looks typical.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:42:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm sure I should already know this, but why is the current stuff all new 16' brass and the old stuff was a mix?  I have a box of older ammo I just checked and it's all between 00 and 03.

Quoted:
That's actually a good question. The Federal Lake City XM193 I recently bought (the 30rounds on strippers package) said the velocity was 3180 fps, if I remember correctly. I thought the usual XM193 listed velocity at 3200 or 3240. The brass on my sample is LC14. It shoots fine, 2-3moa and looks typical.

I'm wondering the same thing.  I suppose they could have changed the barrel length to 16" M4 standard.  Can't wait to see the next Factory chrono test of XM193 out of a 20" barrel to see if it measures up to the historical numbers.

Midway still lists their XM193 as 3240 fps, even on the one in the plastic tub which clearly states "Muzz Velocity 3165 fps"

If you look at Federal's American Eagle info on their website, it's vague and doesn't offer loading info.  Kind of sounds like XM193 isn't what it used to be.

Found this on this sites archive.  Who knows what's going on?

ONE - Velocity - is that corrected muzzle velocity, instrument velocity at 78 feet or instrument velocity at some other range? What barrel was the velocity tested in? The mil-spec for M193 Ball is 3165 fps at 78 feet (+/- 40 fps, with a sigma of 40 fps), from a standard M16 barrel (20" with gas port). That should be around 3300 fps at the muzzle.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#6]
LC isn't currently sending out ANY XM193 so you can expect the price to continue to rise if you like this stuff.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
LC isn't currently sending out ANY XM193 so you can expect the price to continue to rise if you like this stuff.
View Quote

any reason why?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#8]
More than a handful. Orbital taking over ATK is a good place to start. As with any company, regardless of size, poor management trickles down.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
More than a handful. Orbital taking over ATK is a good place to start. As with any company, regardless of size, poor management trickles down.
View Quote

855 going to be affected as well?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This sucks!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:58:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:45:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.......... Link or something to support this or it didn't happen..........
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:33:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There isn't a link to word of mouth. I am close personal friends with multiple individuals who spend their weeks out at LC. If there were a link to it I would put it up But I am pretty sure Federal isn't in a hurry to panic people.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok well............ fair enough...........

So this is a "friend -of-a-friend"  story on the internet.

I and, hopefully, others will decide how accurate that might be before they stampede for the doors...............  :)

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Most likely it is loaded the same... different powder lots "might" affect the velocities SLIGHTLY. For the most part.... Fed. .223 velocities have varied far more than Fed. XM193 velocities in my limited testing.

While I do not have any 2016 "XM193" velocities... here are some other .223 and 5.56 velocities..

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/676005_Various_Chronograph_results____16_Middie_and_20_Rifle_.html
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?

LINK.  

Orbital ATK is focused on defense industry products.

VistaOutdoor is focused on commercial, civilian products, which would include any Federal Ammunition products.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

LINK.  

VistaOutdoor is focused on commercial, civilian products, which would include any Federal Ammunition products.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?

LINK.  

i dont see any info about them not making m193 anymore?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?

LINK.  

I didn't say they weren't making any. I said none of it is leaving Lake City. They are making plenty.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I didn't say they weren't making any. I said none of it is leaving Lake City. They are making plenty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?

LINK.  

is it just sitting on pallets then? the .mil doesnt buy any so wheres it going?
hopefully theyre planning to flood the market (in my dreams)
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's sitting in massive warehouses awaiting de-milling at Some point in the next 10 years. Every lot that gets loaded can't meet QC standards and is being rejected. They are loading millions upon millions of rounds, it's just all crap and can't be sold.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's sitting in massive warehouses awaiting de-milling at Some point in the next 10 years. Every lot that gets loaded can't meet QC standards and is being rejected. They are loading millions upon millions of rounds, it's just all crap and can't be sold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

so whats stopping them from fixxing whatever the issue is?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#22]
^^^^^^
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:42:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
^^^^^^

View All Quotes
Quoted:
^^^^^^
Quoted:

well fuck.

its still in my ao for sale at least for now.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except that M193 is not made for defense contracts, it is made, at lake city, almost solely for the civilian market. What you are saying makes no sense. I could see XM855 haivng that issue, but M193, makes no sense.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:11:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Except that M193 is not made for defense contracts, it is made, at lake city, almost solely for the civilian market. What you are saying makes no sense. I could see XM855 haivng that issue, but M193, makes no sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

qc is still a thing for civ sales though
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:21:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said. It's a shock, I know, but Federal actually does care about the quality of their ammo, not just how cheaply they can sell it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:32:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What he said. It's a shock, I know, but Federal actually does care about the quality of their ammo, not just how cheaply they can sell it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i would buy it if it was labeled XM193PD like they did with xm855 years ago
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

i would buy it if it was labeled XM193PD like they did with xm855 years ago
View Quote

Ehhhh I don't think you would like that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Stop...... just stop....... with this nonsense.

According to you, an internet source who " I am close personal friends with multiple individuals who spend their weeks out at LC."  

So let me guess, your "friends" are VIP engineers on a highly secret mission to finally sort out EXACTLY what is going on at LC?
They and they alone can sort out the problem with XM193 for all that is holy and sacred?

Because after all, for yrs and yrs ATK/LC has been selling "rejects" and "floor-sweepings" to the poor masses?
But now, after a company shift, which according to you meant the management would be worse off.  
But now, these poor fools, who according to you, don't know how to manage, suddenly have a heart and refuse to sell the same ammunition?
Because of course the first thing you do when you take over a new company is to drive the profits into the dirt?  

This isn't GD...........  This isn't a place for trolls.  

Either cite your sources or you are being a troll.  Well, you're being a troll regardless as your story makes little to no sense.  

Thank you.        
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#30]
OP:

Yes, the ammunition you got and will get is the same.  
It is not and never was "re-used  lake city brass loaded hot."  
No it's not rejects or floor sweepings- it's ball ammunition.  Made by the factory that has made it for 50yrs now.  

Yes prices have gone up.  
But it's still decent ammunition, sold at a decent price that will go bang every time.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Because of course the first thing you do when you take over a new company is to drive the profits into the dirt?  

View Quote

What you don't seem to realize is that the LC ammunition plant makes up a little TINY fraction of the profits of a company that makes parts for things that go into space. The whole thing could close down and the board of directors wouldn't even notice. It would be a side note to them. The profit loss means almost NOTHING to them. Orbital Technologies doesn't give one good GD about the LC Ammo plant.
I am not trolling. But I can understand your reluctance to believe me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Oh you're on the board of directors now..................

Cool story bro................  cool story.

Thanks for sharing..................  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#33]
LOL.  

I was wanting to hear about the current performance of XM193.  Not the supposed inner workings of Federal Cartridge.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But qc is done by federal, and you don't "demil" civilian ammo. You might pull it down and sell components, but this doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What you don't seem to realize is that the LC ammunition plant makes up a little TINY fraction of the profits of a company that makes parts for things that go into space. The whole thing could close down and the board of directors wouldn't even notice. It would be a side note to them. The profit loss means almost NOTHING to them. Orbital Technologies doesn't give one good GD about the LC Ammo plant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a Federal Military Arsenal. If it stops functioning ATK loses the contract. What you are saying makes NO SENSE.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's a Federal Military Arsenal. If it stops functioning ATK loses the contract. What you are saying makes NO SENSE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say the plant was shutting down. That part was hypothetical.
What I did say was that no commercial ammunition is leaving the LC plant, which is where the M193 rounds are loaded for Federal, because the QC is at an all time low and lot after lot is being rejected over and over. The ammo is getting piled into warehouses where it will sit, probably forever.
The LC plant is undergoing some serious changes and personnel adjustments.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#37]
If that's true, that's a bummer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#38]
I have "heard" the jackets on the new XM193 are thicker than the original M193 issued. Does anyone know if it's rumor bull shit or accurate?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have "heard" the jackets on the new XM193 are thicker than the original M193 issued. Does anyone know if it's rumor bull shit or accurate?
View Quote

Oh Man Just shut this thread down.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:16:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.... This, like much discussed in this thread, is rumor mill BS.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  So many "I heard" rumors are blatantly illogical, or even idiotically without merit.  This is one: why would any manufacturer change a component part, which is produced in-house and is as cheap as possible already, and replace it with a NEW part that would need new tooling AND cost more to make?  What purpose would that serve?  Oh, I know; "The Man don't want us having bullets that fragment."  Yeah, right.  Next?  "They're outsourcing the jackets because of X, or Y or even Z."  Again, why?  There is absolutely no way an external supplier can produce jackets for less cost each than they can be produced on existing (and already amortized) tooling in-house.

How is it that people who can otherwise discuss complex and difficult subjects without batting an eye can even listen to such silly stuff?  Grain of salt?  Nope - swallowing the BS whole.  Critical thinking is just way too uncommon sometimes, especially inside a gun store.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#42]
End the confusion. Just buy PPU or IMI.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:19:13 AM EDT
[#43]
If I feel decent today, I'll test some through my chronograph, from a 16" barreled Tavor. Hopefully I'll remember the 3.75 inch sight height over bore. I'll do ten rounds, but no more since I'm low.

What I have is from PSA, and is Federal American Eagle AR 5.56X45NATO in the 120rd plastic ammo boxes.

It says, XM193 , muzzle velocity 3165fpps. Headstamp is Lake City 15, NATO stamped.

I'm at 500ft , and it will be about 75-80f when I test it.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Looking forward to that.  I'm planning on shooting mine out of a 16" barrel too.  So that would be good to know.  But I bought some of the 20 round boxes.  I'm assuming it's the same stuff.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Looking forward to that.  I'm planning on shooting mine out of a 16" barrel too.  So that would be good to know.  But I bought some of the 20 round boxes.  I'm assuming it's the same stuff.
View Quote

Ok, I'm setting my chrony out 15 feet, you do the same.

Tell us you elevation and temp as well.

I'm not doing real well, so I'm going back to sleep for maybe another hour, but I'll get up and try in an hour.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't have a chrony.  What I meant was I'll be able to know roughly what that particular load is zinging from my rifle from your test.    I do have a friend that has a chrony.  And he was going to go shooting with me this next time.   So, maybe I CAN do some testing.

Are you sick?   I'll pray you get better.  Just rest if your sick though.......   We can fight about how hot that load is longer without real world stats.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I don't have a chrony.  What I meant was I'll be able to know roughly what that particular load is zinging from my rifle from your test.    I do have a friend that has a chrony.  And he was going to go shooting with me this next time.   So, maybe I CAN do some testing.

Are you sick?   I'll pray you get better.  Just rest if your sick though.......   We can fight about how hot that load is longer without real world stats.  
View Quote

Yeah, thanks. It's an everyday thing. Something I've dealt with for 35 years now. Some days are ok, some are really bad, some when I'm lucky, are really good. Today I didn't feel that bad, but I took my meds and fell asleep.I just woke up about an hour ago and had to eat and take my meds again, and now it's dark. lol.

I will try and get it tomorrow.

I have a project I want to do though. I will need my best friend to get out of rehab from another surgery. That's what happens when you jump out of airplanes. He was 82nd AB , active from 2002-2008, and had a chute not open and tangle up his hands where he couldn't cut it loose. By the the time he got it cut away and deployed, it was too late for his reserve chute to slow him down to a safe speed. He got messed up really bad. Still having surgeries even this far afterwards.

Anyway, I have a sliding glass door that leads to the patio. I'd like to have a swing out shooting table mounted to the wall that can be hidden behind the couch, and then swung out and locked in place by using the open patio door for stability ( also that way if I lock it with the door open, I won't forget to open the door, and shoot the glass out like I probably would using the kitchen table lol ).

I can shoot from inside, no matter how hot or cold it is.outside, rain or shine, and maybe shoot a bit even if I don't feel well enough to go out and do it.

The woods behind me don't belong to me, but the guy that owns them used to allow me to hunt and hike , use them like they were mine all my life. He's allowed me to build a berm back there. My cousin did the berm, but didn't have time to go too far back, so it's 25 yards from the fence line, or , 75 yards from the house, 50 to the fence. I'm going to get my cousin back out and take it back 100 yards from the fence.

That way I can put steel out there at 25 and 50 for pistols, and 100 for rifle.

I will get out there tomorrow and get that data Lord willing.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:13:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What I did say was that no commercial ammunition is leaving the LC plant, which is where the M193 rounds are loaded for Federal, because the QC is at an all time low and lot after lot is being rejected over and over. The ammo is getting piled into warehouses where it will sit, probably forever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?
So they will simply pay to have it occupy warehouse space in perpetuity?

If what you are saying is true,
this should be good news for re-loaders, because Lake City pulls down rejected ammo and sells the bullets, brass and powder.  
Sounds like the market is going to be flooded.

It also sounds like you are saying only the civilian ammo has QC problems.
They have no problems producing ammo that meets specs for the .gov?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yeah, thanks. It's an everyday thing. Something I've dealt with for 35 years now. Some days are ok, some are really bad, some when I'm lucky, are really good. Today I didn't feel that bad, but I took my meds and fell asleep.I just woke up about an hour ago and had to eat and take my meds again, and now it's dark. lol.

I have a project I want to do though. I will need my best friend to get out of rehab from another surgery. That's what happens when you jump out of airplanes. He was 82nd AB , active from 2002-2008, and had a chute not open and tangle up his hands where he couldn't cut it loose. By the the time he got it cut away and deployed, it was too late for his reserve chute to slow him down to a safe speed. He got messed up really bad. Still having surgeries even this far afterwards.

Anyway, I have a sliding glass door that leads to the patio. I'd like to have a swing out shooting table mounted to the wall that can be hidden behind the couch, and then swung out and locked in place by using the open patio door for stability ( also that way if I lock it with the door open, I won't forget to open the door, and shoot the glass out like I probably would using the kitchen table lol ).

I can shoot from inside, no matter how hot or cold it is.outside, rain or shine, and maybe shoot a bit even if I don't feel well enough to go out and do it.

The woods behind me don't belong to me, but the guy that owns them used to allow me to hunt and hike , use them like they were mine all my life. He's allowed me to build a berm back there. My cousin did the berm, but didn't have time to go too far back, so it's 25 yards from the fence line, or , 75 yards from the house, 50 to the fence. I'm going to get my cousin back out and take it back 100 yards from the fence.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to hear about your buddy.  Tell him thanks for serving and get better!!!!  

That is so cool.  I wish I could shoot out my porch.  My range is only a mile away, thankfully.  But it would be a lot more convenient if it was in my  back yard.  

I thought yesterday maybe I should take the 20"er to the range and chrony that.  Might give us a better picture as to what the real velocity is on those.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That is so cool.  I wish I could shoot out my porch.  My range is only a mile away, thankfully.  But it would be a lot more convenient if it was in my  back yard.  

I thought yesterday maybe I should take the 20"er to the range and chrony that.  Might give us a better picture as to what the real velocity is on those.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm starting to come around a bit today. I started to go on out, but I had to eat and take my meds. I'm not sleepy today though, so I should be able to get out there and do it.

Just got to be sure not to shoot the chronograph. That Tavor has a 3.75 inch sight height over bore. Got to aim a bit higher than I'm used to. lol

I was testing out some factory .45acp loads about 5 years ago, after testing some hand loads, and one of the factory rounds was nearly a squib. It sounded funny and didn't cycle the slide, but it still had enough force to make it to the chrony, really low, and hit metal near the eye on the back. It bent it up and knocked the whole thing over. Funny thing is it was still working, and it still read accurately. I bought a new one though, because I was pushing the 6.8 for velocity. I wanted to be sure I was spot on, so I used both back to back at the same time, and got readings within 10fps of each other.

I think XM193 would have a different affect on it than a squib load from a 1911.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top