Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/11/2016 11:27:34 PM EDT
I went to the range to sight in some optics and test a few rounds. The rifle is a MP Sport (1/8 5R ) with a free float rail and RR 2-stage trigger. I slapped on a Nikon P-223 3x9x40 and target was at 60  yards. By no means am I an expert shooter, but sitting on a folding lawn chair and shooting of a folding table this is what I ended up with.

Pics of Rifle
" />

At 1 o'clock is a 6 shot group of Fiocchi 55gr fmj
2 o'clock is a 3 shot group of the same

4 o'clock 3 shout group of AE 62gr fmj
5 o'clock 3 shot group of the same

7 o'clock is 3 shot group of Winchester 64gr Soft Point

11 o'clock is Hornady Superformancematch 75gr BTHP

Center is a 4 shot string of the 55gr Fiocchi and a 5 shot string of the AE 62gr.
" />

This a from 25 yards with the red dot and Fiocchi 55gr
" />
" />

Now where I can use some advice is I am not very pleased with the grouping of the Winchester SP's. I had the same grouping result with them the last time out also.

Any suggestions on a round I may try that will group a little better that I can use for taking game?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:32:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Hornady Superformancematch 75gr BTHP ... it works well for a small caliber.

No reason to stock the soft point.

BUT... if you really want a SP...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/687846_Federal_62_Grain_Fusion_vs_Federal_62_Grain_Fusion_MSR_vs_Speer_LE_62_Grain_Gold_Dot.html
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:16:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you, I have some fusion that I forgot to bring. I will try them next outing.

The BTHP are ok for small game? They do group great.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you, I have some fusion that I forgot to bring. I will try them next outing.

The BTHP are ok for small game? They do group great.
View Quote

Yes, granted the bullet will fragment more... but numerous people use that ammo on Feral Hogs.

If you mean even smaller game... Bunnies, Squirrels etc..... Buy some Fed. 50gr Tipped Varmint .223, OUTSTANDING accuracy at a moderate price. Head shoots would not be a problem at 100yds.

I can get 10 shot groups, off a bench of just over 1 MOA at 100yds from it..... all day long.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top