Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/8/2016 1:00:47 PM EDT
What do you think about these things?  Has anybody ever tried out these rounds?  The company appears to have a new manufacture lines (or deals) in HawkSight and possibly Stryker brands, but I never heard of them either.

http://www.theamericanmarksman.com/223-Remington-55-grain-Solid-CopperLead-Free--Factory-Remanufactured-Ammunition-in-Brass-Cases-1000-Rounds-_p_338.html

I guess the solid copper is primarily made to satisfy CA no-lead regs, and I've seen solid copper projectiles before, but they've always been really expensive.  These are CHEAP!!  I know the company sold bullet blems for cheap at one point (that didn't shoot well due to their damage), but these appear to be first-quality bullets in reloaded cases.

I picked up some of these a while back for no GD reason, and have yet to test them out other than shooting a few just to make sure they'd go off.  I did no tests for relative precision, and I'm not shooting again until winter is over.  They come packed loose in a box.  The cases look good, but powder charge is uncompressed - you can shake the case and hear the powder sloshing around, which I'm not a fan of - other than that, they look decent enough.  I'm sure they'd be OK for range blasting, but assuming acceptable precision, I wonder if there is an application, other than those politically motivated, where solid copper would prove an advantage.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Funny how under the picture it says "full metal jacket".
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea good price.  About what I paid for 1K Federal XM193 locally.  I'm thinking a 55gr copper bullet is a lot longer than copper/lead, so it probably protrudes into the case further to keep the OAL the same as "normal" ammo.  I use 25gr of ARComp when I reload, and it fills the case to the bottom of the neck, or thereabouts.  Guessing they're using powder that requires a lighter charge.  Could always ask them what they use, they may tell you.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#3]
And everything is out of stock, too.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And everything is out of stock, too.  
View Quote

Just went out of stock w/in the last hour.  They go back into stock all the time - you can get email notifications if you're interested.  Yes, the bullet would be longer - lead is ~25% heavier than copper, so a 55gr solid copper bullet is probably about as long as a 62-65gr jacketed bullet - still easily fine in 1:9 (hey - that rhymes...and so does that!!)

Anyway - still wouldn't mind a few relevant answers and/or opinions.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top