Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2016 10:41:43 PM EDT
I'm looking for some 223 (not 5.56) ammo that is brass cased, 55 grain, crimped and sealed for stash ammo.  It looks like Wolf Gold, Geco, and maybe PMC Bronze will work.  Are there any other options that are worth looking into?  The ammo descriptions and feedback that I have found so far have little to no mention of being crimped and sealed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Wolf Gold is what you are looking for. Search for Molon's thread on Wolf Gold. It is sealed & crimped.

I have been using it for about a year now in 3 gun and tactical rifle matches. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#2]
So we are certain that Wolf gold is sealed at both ends of the case because I couldnt find definitive info on this?
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm looking for some 223 (not 5.56) ammo that is brass cased, 55 grain, crimped and sealed for stash ammo.  It looks like Wolf Gold, Geco, and maybe PMC Bronze will work.  Are there any other options that are worth looking into?  The ammo descriptions and feedback that I have found so far have little to no mention of being crimped and sealed.
View Quote

Why 223? Bolt gun?
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks smash05, that's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#6]
BTW... I avoid PMC Bronze because my tests have shown it to be quite underpowered.

And from my rifles.. its accuracy has been dismal.

I have to ask... why only .223 and not 5.56 ?
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:05:37 PM EDT
[#7]
My entire stash of FMJ ammo is XM193, Federal .223 and Wolf Gold. I buy whichever is cheapest when I am ready to buy ammo.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#8]
" Why 223? Bolt gun? "
" I have to ask... why only .223 and not 5.56 ? "

Bolt action, single shot, anything with a 223 chamber.

Kind of a 'one stash to feed them all ' plan, from a slow twist single shot 223 to a fast twist 5.56 AR.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
" Why 223? Bolt gun? "
" I have to ask... why only .223 and not 5.56 ? "

Bolt action, single shot, anything with a 223 chamber.

Kind of a 'one stash to feed them all ' plan, from a slow twist single shot 223 to a fast twist 5.56 AR.
View Quote

Got it.

Do buy an assortment of ammo and try it in all your rifles. Test all of your choices for accuracy.

As an example.

I have 2 20" AR's.... both have rounds they like and dislike. One loves the GECO... the other HATES it. Interestingly, the same is true of the 75gr Horn. v. 77gr SMK / Nosler through those barrels.

Also while GECO makes great ammo.... I have NEVER seen a ballistic test with the GECO 55gr FMJ, so it might not fragment at all....

I have seen tests with the WOLF Gold 55gr FMJ ( worked like you'd want )
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:36:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Federal

American eagle black box AR-223  
American eagle tactical .223

Both  run harder primers than the red box American eagle .223 They are safer for autos with floating firing pins like the AR15.

I believe the red box American eagle .223 has crimped primers. Pretty good accuracy out of my bolt guns.

Could also look at Winchester USA .223,  no sure if the primers are crimped but I have some and can take a look for you.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:44:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Be careful assuming all Wolf Gold is sealed. If Wolf changes the manufacturer and doesn't have the same specs it could be different. The last batch of Wolf Gold has been made in Taiwan. Who knows about next week.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Be careful assuming all Wolf Gold is sealed. If Wolf changes the manufacturer and doesn't have the same specs it could be different. The last batch of Wolf Gold has been made in Taiwan. Who knows about next week.
View Quote

It's been made in Taiwan for what the last 5-6 years? Wolf is an importer not a manufacturer, so It is possible that they might change, but not likely to happen often.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Has it ever been made anywhere else?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:28:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wolf Gold used to be Prvi Partizan from Serbia until the new contract made it Taiwanese.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wolf Gold used to be Prvi Partizan from Serbia until the new contract made it Taiwanese.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the PPU version of Wolf Gold was just the 75gr HP.... never the 55gr FMJ.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Took a look at my Winchester USA 55g FMJ .223. Primers are not crimped or sealed.

The Federal red box american eagle .223. Primers are crimped and sealed. Same as the AR-223 and tactical 223.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Try freedom munitions. They have remanufacured and new ammo, I bought some 55grain FMJBT 500 rounds for $156.00 can't beat it if you are just plinking..
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Try freedom munitions. They have remanufacured and new ammo, I bought some 55grain FMJBT 500 rounds for $156.00 can't beat it if you are just plinking..
View Quote

You should search for issue with FM ammo. There are many thread on this forum and others of very serious issues. I will never buy FM made ammo.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Prvi Partizan is better than people think
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top