Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2015 9:58:21 PM EDT
"Guns & Ammo AR-15" for September tested 19 different ammo loads with 20 different barrel lengths, to arrive at 380 different tested velocities. Everything from super lightweight 35gr Hornady NTX up to Black Hills 77gr OTM. Fairly comprehensive test, all at one time that is. There were some variables not taken into account, due to the nature of the test barrel. Namely, gas system length, chamber type, and barrel material, finishes or treatments. The test used a 26" Stainless White Oak Armament 1/8 Match barrel, with no gas system. After each ammo was tested the barrel was chopped down in 1" increments all the way down to 7".

While not being all inclusive, I did find it an interesting read. One thing I found interesting was the velocity difference between 10" and 11" barrel was small, frequently less than 100fps. From what I understood, perhaps mistakenly, was that it was generally accepted there was a fairly significant, relatively speaking, difference in velocities between the two lengths?

Since I'm pretty sure it's verboten to post the entire article, I'm only going to post an image of the velocities chart, which, IRRC is ok since its a small excerpt from the article and being posted  for discussion?  

ETA: Corrected spelling and rotated chart for easier reading.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:18:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks Mike for posting this

Cheers
Shannon
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:59:22 PM EDT
[#2]
There are some very interesting variations @ the 24" 25" 26" range.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:25:19 AM EDT
[#3]
22" seems like the sweet spot in some of the loads
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:28:20 AM EDT
[#4]
12.5" just gets better and better.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:13:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

What's also interesting is that you don't really gain much in terms of velocity with those lengths, over a 20". With a few exceptions, they barely gained 100FPS with the additional 6" of bore.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
For the most part, you've got complete powder burn by 20" so the additional length really isn't doing anything for you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's also interesting is that you don't really gain much in terms of velocity with those lengths, over a 20". With a few exceptions, they barely gained 100FPS with the additional 6" of bore.

For the most part, you've got complete powder burn by 20" so the additional length really isn't doing anything for you.

Good point. I've read that as well. Which brings up another question.

Why do most of the ammo manufacturers still quote velocities from 22-24" barrels with .223?

For instance, I'm testing some 50gr and 55gr Hornady GMX loads. They both quote velocities from 24" barrels.

e.g.:

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Did the article say where the velocities were measured?  Are these like 10 feet from the muzzle or are they corrected to the velocities at the muzzle?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why do most of the ammo manufacturers still quote velocities from 22-24" barrels with .223?

For instance, I'm testing some 50gr and 55gr Hornady GMX loads. They both quote velocities from 24" barrels.

e.g.:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/muad_dib1982/Hornady_50gr_GMX_Velocity_zpsborojqdk.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

e.g.:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/muad_dib1982/Hornady_50gr_GMX_Velocity_zpsborojqdk.jpg

I believe that is because the testing "standard" is for bolt action guns and most of them are in that 20-26" range.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I believe that is because the testing "standard" is for bolt action guns and most of them are in that 20-26" range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

e.g.:

Probably this.  It's a legacy from a former era when most ammo was shot  bolt action rifles, including .223.  Obviously they should be using a 20" BBL today, but if they did , people would go "woah woah woah! These other guys list like 100 FPS faster!" (with the other guys using the longer BBL).
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

e.g.:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

e.g.:

I'm going to guess and say it's because most of their test barrels are 24".    The few 20's they have are for 223/5.56 testing.   Just a guess though
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Did the article say where the velocities were measured?  Are these like 10 feet from the muzzle or are they corrected to the velocities at the muzzle?
View Quote

No, not that I saw. He only mentioned he used 2 chronos simultaneously, a PACT in front of the barrel and a Labradar adjacent the muzzle.

I'm on mobile, which is a pain to multi-quote, so I can't respond to everyone without cluttering/bombing the thread, sorry guys.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:58:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
the barrel was not cooled much between the first few lengths, and the ammo was left out in the sun as well.  That affected the first several velocity runs.  Ammo was moved to the shade, and barrel was water cooled eventually.

The results were overall worthwhile, but trying to come to conclusions about individual loads and lengths is suspect.
View Quote

I agree. While I do appreciate the effort, I think the test would have had more meaningful results had the ammo selection been less ambitious. Using half, or even a third or the selection of ammo would have allowed the tester to directly compare individual rounds within the same environment. 6 of some of the most widely used rounds would have been sufficient, IMO.

As it stands, it's an interesting test, and the tester should be applauded for the effort, but at the end of the day were left with too many variables to consider the test absolute. Or, as the author put it "The short answer to the question of how much velocity you lose per inch? It depends"

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:16:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
He only mentioned he used 2 chronos simultaneously, a PACT in front of the barrel and a Labradar adjacent the muzzle.

View Quote

Wonder how many rounds he had to shoot to get a reading out of the PACT for all of those?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:57:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm wondering about the quoted velocity for the BH 40 gr V-Max. That just seems low across the board.

Fiocchi states 3600 fps with that bullet in .223. I've never chrono'd that load but it's clearly the fastest I've ever fired from either my 16" or 20" barrels. Screaming fast.

I doubt that BH loads that bullet on the weak side.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top