Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2015 6:59:24 PM EDT
Don't know if this has been discussed before but...

I was thinking to increase the chance of expansion/fragmentation in a standard 5.56 55 grain FMJ, (Federal), I could use a Dremel to cut a very small amount of material off the tip of the spitzer bullet, exposing some lead.
I can't really foresee any feeding problems this would cause; factory soft points, whether round nose or flat, feed just fine. Seems to me this might be an option to increase terminal performance with no cost and a little effort.

Or did I smoke too much opium this morning?

Thanks y'all.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:44:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I smoke too much opium
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:10:17 PM EDT
[#2]
You are liable to get the bullet out of balance.....remember that things spinning at near 300000 rpm.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are liable to get the bullet out of balance.....remember that things spinning at near 300000 rpm.
View Quote

True; although I was talking about a very small amount of material up front. No worse than any factory soft points.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#4]
If you cut the tip off of a FMJ you are running a real risk of shedding the jacket and leaving it in the bore after the lead core exit's
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#5]
You do realize you can buy real soft points for the same price as FMJs, right?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:54:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I smoke too much opium

Maybe this.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You do realize you can buy real soft points for the same price as FMJs, right?
View Quote

Not quality soft points, and not loaded to 5.56 pressures.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you cut the tip off of a FMJ you are running a real risk of shedding the jacket and leaving it in the bore after the lead core exit's
View Quote

This.  Dont leave the front and the back open.

Quality SPs dont need to be loaded to 5.56 pressure.  Match the bullet's envelope with your MV, BC, and distance required.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#10]
In a TMJ handgun MAYBE, but in a FMJ rifle nah leaving the jacket in the bore is a serious risk and could be VERY bad. if you need cheap JSP's from FMJ's simply flip the 55 grain around so it flies back forward. and no im not joking, Elmer keith started this out in the depression and it was seriously effective. not as good as a top notch JHP but easily on par with mid range ones. both in terminal impact AND accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

In a TMJ handgun MAYBE, but in a FMJ rifle nah leaving the jacket in the bore is a serious risk and could be VERY bad. if you need cheap JSP's from FMJ's simply flip the 55 grain around so it flies back forward. and no im not joking, Elmer keith started this out in the depression and it was seriously effective. not as good as a top notch JHP but easily on par with mid range ones. both in terminal impact AND accuracy.

View Quote
if the dude reloaded, he could make a SP the way he wanted.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Loading them backwards is what you want.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Loading them backwards is what you want.
View Quote

He doesn't reload, he dremels.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:24:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I can appreciate & respect someone getting curious & experimental, and I can definitely respect the asking for input before experimenting 'too' much. That said, this particular experimentation might be (okay, "is") a bad and dangerous thing to attempt.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:45:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I really doubt cutting a small portion of the tip off will be "dangerous" or anything. I wouldn't be surprised if it just made the projectile rapidly rip itself apart the second it hit something though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:01:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Box of truth did this with 30'06. But these were still only open at one end.

Box of Truth #32
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:08:12 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Crank the velocity up 300-400 fps and I bet the projectile comes apart more.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:17:23 AM EDT
[#18]
These would be what a British officer in charge of the Dum Dum facility in India did.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:37:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Why not just buy Hornady 55 gr sp and load them to 193 spec?

Those are very accurate bullets.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:49:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Don't know if this has been discussed before but...

I was thinking to increase the chance of expansion/fragmentation in a standard 5.56 55 grain FMJ, (Federal), I could use a Dremel to cut a very small amount of material off the tip of the spitzer bullet, exposing some lead.
I can't really foresee any feeding problems this would cause; factory soft points, whether round nose or flat, feed just fine. Seems to me this might be an option to increase terminal performance with no cost and a little effort.

Or did I smoke too much opium this morning?

Thanks y'all.
View Quote

Remember FMJs are generally open on the bottom.  You can get in trouble if you open the tip also, but it used to be done for hunting. There is some risk involved of the jacket coming off.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:44:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Yea, I haven't done this so there's no need to freak out. Just curious about possibilities...I like to tinker.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:42:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Why not just buy Hornady 55 gr sp and load them to 193 spec?

Those are very accurate bullets.
View Quote

Taking the easy way out, eh? I bet you use one of them horseless buggies to get to work, too.

OP, I suggest the hornady 55sp as well. But, if you do try to dremel your fmj's, please shoot them into ballistics gel and report back....if you can.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I really doubt cutting a small portion of the tip off will be "dangerous" or anything...
View Quote

The odds of a given round's jacket being shed/stripped are low, but I'm thinking about the cumulative risk. The more rounds modified & fired, the higher the probability of one of those rounds causing a problem. While the risk of any given round being 'dangerous' is minuscule, this is an AR forum; and the overall cumulative risk in an AR would be higher than if used in a break-open single-shot.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Tinker away and let us know, hell i tinker with all kinds of stuff.
Quoted:
Yea, I haven't done this so there's no need to freak out. Just curious about possibilities...I like to tinker.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Every time I hear "dremel" on Arf, I get a shiver down my spine

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#26]
You don't need to expose the lead to get better terminal performance.  Just removing a small amount of the jacket right at the tip makes for an extremely unstable bullet which will yaw quickly upon impact.

You didn't hear me say that, and I have no actual experience to back that statement up.

Accuracy?  Why would you need an accurate bullet?

Really, the best thing to do is buy a 55 grain JSP bullet.

Or, just use unmodified 55 grain FMJ, it works pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#27]
You can lightly score the bullets, if only I had ballistic gel and a big backyard.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I would also score it in a spiral pattern starting on the tip. Light score would break the jacket, like scoring glass. While no noticeable or weak at amohphseic pressure, it becomes weak at 300,000 rpm and 3,000fps.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top