Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2015 8:26:44 PM EDT
I've used 5.56 ZQI before as a Tulammo substitute...bud I hope none of you are stockpiling this junk if you plan on shooting it through as suppressed AR. Your mileage may vary. It functioned fine out of a 16" Colt 6520 (accuracy was poor), but popped about 30% of the primers in one mags worth out of an 11.5" suppressed SBR that's had a 100% reliability track record in 6k+ rnds this far.

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Of the 2k Ive shot I havnt had a single malf in 3 guns, 2 14.5" carbines and a 20" rifle.

Ive probablt shot 2 dozen 5 shot groups with that 2k and averaged 3moa. The rest were shot durring drills
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 8:39:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Of the 2k Ive shot I havnt had a single malf in 3 guns, 2 14.5" carbines and a 20" rifle.

Ive probablt shot 2 dozen 5 shot groups with that 2k and averaged 3moa. The rest were shot durring drills
View Quote

How much of that was suppressed?  Could be the can and increased has is causing excessive chamber pressure, but I've never popped a primer in that gun with any other ammunition before today. Possibly a bad batch with loose primer pockets, bad primers, etc. either way...I'll stick with LC for the stash and steel cases Russian junk for close up drills where accuracy doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Dug through some of the brass I picked up. Here's some more with primer or pressure issues. Could have been a neck tension/bullet setback issue too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Contact the manufacturer...they should make good on the problem ammo.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#6]
did you try it with the suppressor off?
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
did you try it with the suppressor off?
View Quote

Yeah...no issues on that rifle or a 16" carbine.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 7:26:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Never bought it, never will. I hadn't heard of it prior to seeing it in Walmart. I try and stick to PMC, Fed, Wknchester, etc.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:11:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How much of that was suppressed?  Could be the can and increased has is causing excessive chamber pressure, but I've never popped a primer in that gun with any other ammunition before today. Possibly a bad batch with loose primer pockets, bad primers, etc. either way...I'll stick with LC for the stash and steel cases Russian junk for close up drills where accuracy doesn't matter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None, meant to write that.

Nothing surprises me when it comes to ammo any more after seeing bullets and primers set backwards.

We had to demo a butt load of 556 SAW ammo because they were popping primers like you described.

Walmart around here doesnt carry it anymore so Ill never buy more. It was the only .30¢ local 556 in the state
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:22:10 AM EDT
[#10]
It's garbage because it pops primers when used in a suppressed weapon? Maybe that use was not envisioned when they made the ammunition?

What am I missing here?

1DD
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's garbage because it pops primers when used in a suppressed weapon? Maybe that use was not envisioned when they made the ammunition?

What am I missing here?

1DD
View Quote

A suppressed AR rifle doesn't require special ammunition.  Good ammunition does not do this regardless if suppressed or not.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A suppressed AR rifle doesn't require special ammunition.  Good ammunition does not do this regardless if suppressed or not.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What am I missing here?

1DD

+1
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Might want to change the title to add "when shooting suppressed."  And that "official" part bugs me because you have a sample size of one gun.

What I think is happening is that the back pressure in your setup is more than the ZQI stuff can handle (duh!).  That doesn't make it garbage, but it does give us some idea about what its limitations are.

What bugs me about this is that the stuff is supposed to meet NATO standards, and the crimped primers shouldn't pop, at least not like that.  My impression of this stuff has decreased because of your experiences.

On the other hand, the ZQI 5.56mm stuff is scarce as hens' teeth, so while you may have a bunch that you won't be running in that gun, it's not like you're going to be stocking up on it.  And it's certainly not going to be back anytime soon, nor with the prices Wal-Mart had to slash to get the stuff to move...
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Might want to change the title to add "when shooting suppressed."  And that "official" part bugs me because you have a sample size of one gun.

What I think is happening is that the back pressure in your setup is more than the ZQI stuff can handle (duh!).  That doesn't make it garbage, but it does give us some idea about what its limitations are.

What bugs me about this is that the stuff is supposed to meet NATO standards, and the crimped primers shouldn't pop, at least not like that.  My impression of this stuff has decreased because of your experiences.

On the other hand, the ZQI 5.56mm stuff is scarce as hens' teeth, so while you may have a bunch that you won't be running in that gun, it's not like you're going to be stocking up on it.  And it's certainly not going to be back anytime soon, nor with the prices Wal-Mart had to slash to get the stuff to move...
View Quote

Eh...it's just my opinion.  And it certainly does make it crap ammo in my book. I never had an issue with ammo while shooting suppressed up until now. That includes cheap Wolf and Tulammo. This is the first time I actually had to break down a firearm to clear a malfunction too (primers in the trigger well area and one jammed in the locking lug area.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What am I missing here?

1DD

+1

Yep, my reloads with no primer crimp do not have primers backing out.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 2:39:49 PM EDT
[#16]
You shoot any other brand of ammo that day?  Was ammo baking in the sun, super-hot?  Cases show overpressure signs, but I thought crimping was supposed to hold primers in
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Eh...it's just my opinion.  And it certainly does make it crap ammo in my book. I never had an issue with ammo while shooting suppressed up until now. That includes cheap Wolf and Tulammo. This is the first time I actually had to break down a firearm to clear a malfunction too (primers in the trigger well area and one jammed in the locking lug area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've shot a couple hundred rounds of the ZQI ammo in my suppressed 12'', 16'' and 18'' rifles. Never had a single malfunction nor any popped primers.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I've fired quite a bit of ZQI at this point, and haven't had any issues at all.

Then again, we can't own suppressors here.

I consider it to be good range ammo for cheap, certainly much better than Tula.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#19]
On my very first outing with my CZ Compact, I took a few boxes of the ZQI 9mm and some Perfecta. While shooting the ZQI, I noticed that it was pretty hot. During the second mag it locked up my pistol with a live round. I had to disassemble it and take a rod to the bore to dislodge the round.
I stopped using that ammo and didn't have any other issues during the rest of the session.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I love me some ZQI 5.56, good shooting ammo, will do inside 2" at a hun outta my 20" hbar.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:16:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Did you shoot any other ammo after these failures?  At 6K rounds in that gun, you may be pushing head space wear, and you are going to start seeing this no matter what ammo you shoot.

What brand of barrel is it?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:42:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Did you shoot any other ammo after these failures?  At 6K rounds in that gun, you may be pushing head space wear, and you are going to start seeing this no matter what ammo you shoot.

What brand of barrel is it?
View Quote

Yeah 180 flawless rnds of Fed XM193.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You shoot any other brand of ammo that day?  Was ammo baking in the sun, super-hot?  Cases show overpressure signs, but I thought crimping was supposed to hold primers in
View Quote

This.
The primers that aren't popped out or backing out look distinctly flattened.
That's looking like increased chamber pressure.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#24]
One lot or multiple?  Was the same ammo (the lot, that is) fired from any other gun?

Disconcerting, no doubt, but need more information and a greater sample size before avoiding. If a few popped primers are all it takes to abandon a manufacturer, then nobody should be using Winchester or LC.   Hell, there was a period a few years back where guys (my self included) were getting blown primers left and right from LC XM855 and XM193.  There were several threads on the subject here when it was happening with some regularity.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I wish Wal-mart would bring the ZQI back at $9.97 for 30 rounds again, shot fine in my piston 16".

Hking
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I wish Wal-mart would bring the ZQI back at $9.97 for 30 rounds again, shot fine in my piston 16".

Hking
View Quote

Good luck with that.

ZQIammo.com

They got it down to .35/rnd before shipping.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:30:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Save it to run malfunction drills.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Save it to run malfunction drills.
View Quote

2k rounds with no malfs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#29]
So have you contacted them?

Have you shot it in another suppressed rifle?

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So have you contacted them?

Have you shot it in another suppressed rifle?

View Quote

Yes.  I sent back the brass and they sent me some more ammo (15 headstamp instead of the 14 I had issues with) to try again.  I'm heading out to the range with the rifle that had issues with the ammo and SDN-6 can, as well as a DD MK-18 with a KAC QDSS/NT4.  I'll give this stuff a try as well.  I kept one or two pieces of brass that blew the primers out of the pocket to try and drop a new primer into.  Something tells me even with the crimp that a fresh primer will fall right into the pocket though....so maybe this lot had very loose primer pockets.  I'll get to both the range and to messing with the bad brass this weekend.  Been busy as hell this week at work.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#31]
I've shot 2k+ rounds of ZQI and have another 1K+ left in my locker...had a few popped primers (no suppressor) with some of the older white-box batches but every round went down range, almost always under 2MOA.

It shoots well for me but if I'm not getting it at the WallyWorld pricing, I have better options.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've shot 2k+ rounds of ZQI and have another 1K+ left in my locker...had a few popped primers (no suppressor) with some of the older white-box batches but every round went down range, almost always under 2MOA.

It shoots well for me but if I'm not getting it at the WallyWorld pricing, I have better options.

View Quote

They will be begging Walmart to take them back in a year or two
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:28:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I've been trying to find ammo my DPMS GII MOE likes since I got it. So far it likes Federal 175g match best with well less than 1" groups consistanty at 100yds. The worse is ZQ-1 7.62 with it all over the target at 100yds. If I shoot to 50yds a 20 shot group is about 8" wide and about 4-5" higher than other ammo I've tried. I could live with that for range ammo but the stuff is so dirty and leave flecks of brass all through the rifle and magazine. I have 2 more boxes to get rid of and I'll never buy anymore again.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've been trying to find ammo my DPMS GII MOE likes since I got it. So far it likes Federal 175g match best with well less than 1" groups consistanty at 100yds. The worse is ZQ-1 7.62 with it all over the target at 100yds. If I shoot to 50yds a 20 shot group is about 8" wide and about 4-5" higher than other ammo I've tried. I could live with that for range ammo but the stuff is so dirty and leave flecks of brass all through the rifle and magazine. I have 2 more boxes to get rid of and I'll never buy anymore again.
View Quote

5.56 is the exact opposite

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7169/14003009485_a6cc58b986_k.jpg

That's not bad at all, but they claim right on the box that the ammo is tested to hold 1MOA or better.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:17:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's not bad at all, but they claim right on the box that the ammo is tested to hold 1MOA or better.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they mean "mean radius" is < 1 MOA
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:10:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. I can't imagine sales are too high for them right now. I have a few hundred rounds of ZQI sitting around. For the $10 a box I'll bite, but any higher and I'm out. I think ZQI misunderstood the internet popularity of their ammo and assumed the market would pay a higher price. There's a reason why it never sold until Wal-Mart cut the price. There are better options at the $0.35/rd price point.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:21:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Double tap
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree here, and more importantly, they don't mention anything about what specific barrel it's supposed to be 1MOA with - probably a specific test barrel of a specific profile, but is that the barrel called out in the NATO accuracy test requirements, or something else?  In other words, the text on the box is in "marketer-ese".
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:41:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

My hog hunter with 3-10x scope in a bc stock puts zqi in 2-4" slightly high and to the left compared to my 168 fgmm zero. I say 4" because i shot a 25 round group into 4" but most 5 round groups were 3ish. I didnt spend nuch time measuring the zqi groups.

Kind of a waste to shoot paper with but good to know my holds and for cheap ammo with good brass ill get some more to keepin an ammo can for a rainy day
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:16:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Agreed. I can't imagine sales are too high for them right now. I have a few hundred rounds of ZQI sitting around. For the $10 a box I'll bite, but any higher and I'm out. I think ZQI misunderstood the internet popularity of their ammo and assumed the market would pay a higher price. There's a reason why it never sold until Wal-Mart cut the price. There are better options at the $0.35/rd price point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Completely agreed. We buy your shit because it's cheap/decent ammo, ZQI.

Raise the price, say goodbye to your sales.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:24:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also if you look at their website, they now have "bulk" ammo availible... It doesn't appear to include shipping (I havent tried to check out), btu the bulk .308 is $.49/rd and boxed for $.56/rd.... they've lowered their price but are not including shipping... seems like sales are slow
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Well...I give ZQI props for trying to make it right, but a different lot and 15 head stamp instead of 14 didn't make a difference. This stuff has issues. Pressure signs out of both the rifles. No completely removed primers but some that almost came out, and enough gas leakage around their primer pocket/primer to blow the sealant out. Even brass that looks okay can be taken and blown through indicating a very poor primer seal. Was worth a try and ZQI tried to make it right, but bottom line this ammo is less than ideal for suppressed use. Also had two stick cased that needed mortared out of the chamber. Ripped the rim on both possibly indicating very soft brass, which would also make sense with loose primer pockets.  PMC Bronze was shot out of both rifles with different cans and had zero issues in either. To note, it ran fine through unsuppressed rifles.

On a side note...I did get to burn the finish off of the can with free ammo.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Well...I give ZQI props for trying to make it right, but a different lot and 15 head stamp instead of 14 didn't make a difference. This stuff has issues. Pressure signs out of both the rifles. No completely removed primers but some that almost came out, and enough gas leakage around their primer pocket/primer to blow the sealant out. Even brass that looks okay can be taken and blown through indicating a very poor primer seal. Was worth a try and ZQI tried to make it right, but bottom line this ammo is less than ideal for suppressed use. Also had two stick cased that needed mortared out of the chamber. Ripped the rim on both possibly indicating very soft brass, which would also make sense with loose primer pockets.  PMC Bronze was shot out of both rifles with different cans and had zero issues in either. To note, it ran fine through unsuppressed rifles.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/cms81586/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpslrjdyihy.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/cms81586/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsit8bme92.jpg
View Quote

That's crazy.

I've shot a bunch of the ZQI out of my ARs and the 5.56 AK I had, and it all shot well. I never shot it suppressed, however.

Thanks for the update. Will you be contacting ZQI with an update as well? If so, I'm interested to see their response.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's crazy.    

I've shot a bunch of the ZQI out of my ARs and the 5.56 AK I had, and it all shot well. I never shot it suppressed, however.

Thanks for the update. Will you be contacting ZQI with an update as well? If so, I'm interested to see their response.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/cms81586/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpslrjdyihy.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/cms81586/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsit8bme92.jpg

That's crazy.    

I have.  They've been helpful, but it doesn't change the outcome.  I'm sending them the brass from the 14 headstamp batch I shot first as well as the new 15 headstamp stuff I shot yesterday.  It's not going to tell them much though.  The brass is in spec (dimension wise still drops into a case headspace gauge)...they just have a major pressure issue.  Possibly their powder...possibly soft brass...bad primer pockets relying too much on the crimping to retain primers....who knows.  Either way it's fine for unsuppressed shooting.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Walmart is done with all this ammo

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top