Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/2/2015 10:47:06 PM EDT
I want to order some ammo but I am concerned about the HOT environment the ammo will be
exposed to during shipping. I just got a UPS box that was hot to the touch and inside temp was 108 F,
right off the truck - not sitting in the sun on the front porch.

Is my concern valid?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:48:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I want to order some ammo but I am concerned about the HOT environment the ammo will be
exposed to during shipping. I just got a UPS box that was hot to the touch and inside temp was 108 F,
right off the truck - not sitting in the sun on the front porch.

Is my concern valid?
View Quote

You'll be fine.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Is my concern valid?
View Quote

No.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you imagine the temp of some of the ammo stored in the middle east during the summer??

A day or so in a UPS truck won't affect the ammo.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is my concern valid?

No.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:45:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Can you imagine the temp of some of the ammo stored in the middle east during the summer??

A day or so in a UPS truck won't affect the ammo.
View Quote

Not just stored, but maybe chambered in a M2, broiling in the sun.  The steel will be hot enough to burn you and the rounds won't cook off.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:45:08 AM EDT
[#6]
What are you specifically concerned about?  Flash point of Gun powder is around 800F, melting point of brass is around 900F and lead is 620F hell even the cardboard flashpoint is over 400f.

Your warm ammo won't spoil, shoot and enjoy it or store it, it's fine.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:14:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Just buy it in the fall and spring then
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:29:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just buy it in the fall and spring then
View Quote

Yes, everyone do this so ammo prices will drop in the summer
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:13:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Long term exposure to high temps. is a concern. Not the type you are talking about.

If you expose ammo to high temps at the range... you should watch for excess pressure.... but in context to the occasional truck ride and porch sitting delivery, I wouldn't fret over it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#10]
One of the BHA guys spoke at length on this subject a while back, based on their testing.
My take was ammo in transit is not going to see the temperatures needed to cause permanent changes in the ammo.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Hi,

Modern ammunition and components have stabilizers in them since before World War One to prevent the powder from breaking down like it did in the USS Maine from heat and creating an explosion from spontaneous combustion.  A few days in UPS hands is not going to hurt it.

Best Regards:
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#12]
To get an idea of how stable ammo is, check out the SAAMI 'fire' video, hosted on NSSF's youtube account.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Think about it for a minute.  If it was that delicate,  how did we manage to fight in North Africa and the Pacific in WWII,  More recently in Iraq. The ammo wasn't kept in air conditioned comfort.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Done it many times, you'll be GTG.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#15]
No, your concerns are not valid.

Heck, I found a box of my uncle's .30-30 hand loads that had been in a shed out in the hot Texas heat for somewhere between 6 and 8 years and other than being tarnished on the outside, they were perfectly fine...

1DD
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Not a problem OP. Now if you were having medication delivered to your house now that might be a problem; but bullets, no...
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top