Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/2/2015 9:45:06 PM EDT
i am building my first AR. I have several rifles and handguns, all more traditional calibers (45, 45LC, 38, 30.06 etc) my AR is 5.56 NATO. I have been shopping for ammo and have questions. I understand different grain weights, but I have found 5.56x45 62 grain. I have found just 5.56 62 grain. What is the difference? Is the x45 the length of the bullet and if so what is recommended for a 5.56 NATO with a16in barrel with 1/7 twist? Any advise is appreciated
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#1]
"5.56" is common-speak for 5.56x45; it's all the same stuff. The "45" is the length of the case (in mm), not the bullet length.

Typically, the faster the twist, the heavier bullet you want, or at least the heavier the 'optimum' bullet will tend to be. For a 1:7, you're probably ok with bullets from 55 grains on up, but the "best" bullet choice will vary by rifle. If it were me trying loads for a 1:7, I'd start with trying out various loads from 62-77 grains to see what my particular gun prefers.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Afterthought - check out this thread for a lot of common ammunition Q&A:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/503947_AR15_Ammo_Forum_FAQ.html
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:01:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I'll be back for more.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top