Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/1/2015 10:00:50 PM EDT
I recently got a KAC QDSS NT4 for my SBR M4. It has a 14.5
barrel.

What 5.56 subsonic loads are out there for it?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:30:23 PM EDT
[#1]
If you'll accept that I'm being serious and not sarcastic, I'd suggest looking into a good .22LR conversion for it. Reason I say that is that unless you find a load with an extremely heavy bullet, that's what you're really ending up with anyway - a low-velocity, .22-caliber projectile that's weaker even than a normal .22LR round.

I've used one (a ciener) on a suppressed carbine for quite a while, and after the break-in period, it actually became my squirrel gun for a few years. It was surprisingly accurate and phenomenally reliable with remington subsonic HP's, and stunningly accurate but not particularly reliable with Aguila's heavy 60-grain SSS load. I was worried about lead buildup in my suppressor from using non-jacketed LR bullets, but AAC assured me that as long as I didn't run more than a couple hundred or so of them between sessions with full-power ammunition, that the pressure and heat from the full-power stuff would keep any buildup blown out.

If you must stick with subsonics in a full-size .223/5.56 cartridge case for whatever reason, I have no idea what to suggest; sorry.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:47:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:21:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Those will work but won't cycle the bolt so I would them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:59:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Youre probably not going to find any that will cycle a standard gas set up.  Even the 100gr mag length OTMs don't develop enough pressure.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:35:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I know my load book shows low velocity loads with pistol powders. But I think they are still super sonic. I will take a look later since it's in the basement and see.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:36:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I know my load book shows low velocity loads with pistol powders. But I think they are still super sonic. I will take a look later since it's in the basement and see.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I would not recommend the 22 conversion kits.  If you are a decent shot, you will be very disappointed with the accuracy.  You are shooting a 40 grain bullet out of an oversize barrel with a 1:7 or 1:9 twist on a bullet that wants a 1:16 twist.  You will cut groups in half with a dedicated upper.  I don't notice much of a difference offhand.  However, I do notice a big difference prone, kneeling and sitting.

Also, a subsonic 556/223 load is just not going to work well.  You are trying to cut velocity by close to 70%.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys. I'll stick to my usual 55gr FMJ
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#10]
On the .22lr bullet bore-size issue, iirc, the bore sizes are .218 for .22LR and .219 for .223. Groove diameter (again iirc) is .222 and .224 respectively; so the difference is real but not particularly huge by any means.

On the appropriateness of twist rates, the 60-grain aguila sss mentioned above is right in the middle of the typical weight ranges the gun gets put thru it.

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely wouldn't use a .22 conversion kit as a substitute for .223 subsonics for defensive use (nor would I use .223 subsonics for defense in the first place); but for hunting or shooting plates, the .22 kit gives the same power at substantially less cost.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top