Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2015 9:44:56 PM EDT

any feedback on Lax ammo 9mm FMJ 115 grain stuff?  I understand it's reloads.

Does it compare to WWB or Freedom Munitions?  You can find it for under 20 CPR.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't consider buying ANYONE's reloads or remanufactured ammo.  I've seen too many guns of all different calibers be damaged or outright ruined from reloads.  Factory ammo is so cheap right now (Wolf Gold, AE, IMI, Geco, etc.) there is no excuse for not going with a quality ammo from a well-known distributor.

Caveat Emptor
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:20:03 AM EDT
[#3]
LAX Ammo is right down the road from me and I use there ammo all the time. It is good stuff and they make a lot of it. They have a range on one side of the building and the ammo store and plant on the other. People shoot their ammo all day long at the range. I mostly shoot their 9MM out my Glocks and have no complaints. I keep a few K on reserve at all times. YMMV, but it works good for me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:02:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Plenty of weapons destroyed by factory Federal and Hornady, too. I'd buy it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:05:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

NOPE, NEGATORY, AVOID AT ALL COSTS, DO NOT SHOOT
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:24:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Never had an issue with their 9mm, 40, and 45. I've used the stuff in USPSA matches without any problems too
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:12:38 AM EDT
[#7]
They have both reman and new ammo.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't have any direct experience with LAX ammo, but do have some 10mm from them due for delivery today.

But to categorically call LAX's product "reloads" is not accurate.  That's lumping them in with Bubba in his garage loading ammo and selling in baggies at a gunshow.  LAX is a small-ish ammo MANUFACTURER.  They do sell both "new" with all new components and "reman" (everything new except the case).  I can see wanting to avoid the re-manufactured ammo due to the higher risk of case issues since they are used, but the fact is they ARE a "factory".  Just a smaller one than Federal, Hornady, etc.

So seek reveiws for LAX, Freedom, HSM, Washougal, etc and make your decision based on that info.  But don't call them all "reloads".

Rob
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

NOPE, NEGATORY, AVOID AT ALL COSTS, DO NOT SHOOT
View Quote

This type of answer helps NO ONE without saying why you think this.

Rob
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Don't consider buying ANYONE's reloads or remanufactured ammo. I've seen too many guns of all different calibers be damaged or outright ruined from reloads. Factory ammo is so cheap right now (Wolf Gold, AE, IMI, Geco, etc.) there is no excuse for not going with a quality ammo from a well-known distributor.

Caveat Emptor
View Quote

Shoot enough and the price difference may pay for a couple guns.

I've bought from LAX without issue.  I have not used any of the ammunition they manufacture or remanufacture though.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I have bought 1 or 2 k of 9mm, and 1 k of .45 of the LAX reloads. I've shot most of 1 k of 9mm, and just about the entire 1 k of .45.  Seems fine to me.  Yeah, Wolf and Tula are cheap now, but many places don't allow magnetic ammo, either the case or the projectile.  The reloads are non-magnetic, and look good.  They don't look any different from something like WWB.  If they are careful loading the powder, I don't see a problem.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:06:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Let's be careful with terminology.  "Remanufactured" means a firm with an appropriate FFL has taken once-fired brass, processed it, and loaded it with care and attention to detail.  It implies that the firm has the substantial liability insurance that goes with manufacturing ammunition.  Keep in mind that Black Hills has two lines of ammunition: newly manufactured and remanufactured.  NOBODY is going to say that their remans are in any way similar to Bubba's garage loads.

"Reloaded" implies that an amateur or hobbyist has assembled the ammunition.  That further implies no insurance, and no guarantee of quality assurance, proper planning or even any attention to detail.

"Handloaded" implies that an amateur or hobbyist went beyond "reloading" and paid close attention to detail, chose components wisely, and was careful to apply solid QA processes to his loading.  I personally work hard at being a "handloader."

NEVER buy "reloaded" ammunition.  If you are tempted by a price, ask about whether the maker of this ammunition is licensed and insured.  If the answers are "no," run away.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've shot a fair amount of Lax reloads in .45.  They're fine - cases are bright and clean, though I think Freedom's reloads were a bit more accurate.  Still, plenty decent ammo, and the price is right.

Don't listen to the ignorance of those saying never shoot reloads.  These reloads are made on the same lines that produce the new ammo - the only difference is the cases are pre-used, typically only once.  With a wimpy caliber like 9mm, the cases are good for many-many loadings, so who cares if they're new or not?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Don't listen to the ignorance of those saying never shoot reloads.  These reloads are made on the same lines that produce the new ammo - the only difference is the cases are pre-used, typically only once.  With a wimpy caliber like 9mm, the cases are good for many-many loadings, so who cares if they're new or not?
View Quote

THIS is why I pointed out the terminology issue.  We are NOT talking about "reloads."  LAX apparently sells "remanufactured" ammunition.  That has a whole different connotation.  I agree that "some joker's reloads" are not something I'd pay money for, and I would never let others shoot my handloads.

Edited to fix a tag.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
LAX Ammo is right down the road from me and I use there ammo all the time. It is good stuff and they make a lot of it. They have a range on one side of the building and the ammo store and plant on the other. People shoot their ammo all day long at the range. I mostly shoot their 9MM out my Glocks and have no complaints. I keep a few K on reserve at all times. YMMV, but it works good for me.
View Quote

This. I buy their 9mm and .223 all the time.  It's GTG.

eta for spelling error see sigline #1
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top