Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/28/2015 2:32:22 PM EDT

Team AR,

What's the best .223 or 5.56 ammo for home defense?  I live in a 2-story home in a sub-division, and I have 2 young children.  I keep hearing Hornady TAP, I have some Winchester PDX1 Defenders (60 grain.)... thoughts?

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#1]
No Offense intended... be sure to read the sticky at the top of this sub forum.

Best choices for self defense

A true answer really depends on what kind of situation you are involved in.... shooting into blind barriers or just two footed problems.

In other words... there is no really simple answer.... ( cost, actual ranges, actual bullet needs... )
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Hornady tap t2 is good

I have my ar loaded with Federal fusion, any barrier blind load will work
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#3]
No offense taken... I apologize!  I'm kind of new to blogs and forums... I'll keep a better eye out next time!  Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Read the faq mentioned above, and I like T2 Tap mentioned above.  Also, I like Mk262 (black hills 77gr OTM 5.56) for a non barrier blind load that will penetrate less walls.

Most SD ammo will penetrate walls. The two listed above will penetrate less walls than bonded bullets. For inside my home I load heavy OTMs that are not bonded. These are made to kill bad guys and they are less likely to penetrate multiple sheetrock walls.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Federal Fusion MSR is a good SD round, it's relatively cost effective at $20 a box or so and very available.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Speer Gold dot if you can find it.  I have about 200 rounds of it from my LEO days, and now I just buy the Fusion rebranded stuff.  Essentially its the civilian version of the Gold Dot.

It'll do everything you would or could want it to do.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I know you're asking about your AR, but personally, I keep my AR and pistol right next to each other, and would grab my 1911 9 times out of 10 for a home invasion.

Easier to maneuver around corners, plus this:

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#9]
No. Just, no.

Pistols suck. I know you like your 1911 and I like mine too. They are fun to shoot and a decent carry gun if you are very well trained. But pistols suck at everything except being small enough to conveniently carry. Rifles and shotguns are far more powerful than pistols and easier to hit with. The idea that a pistol is "easier to maneuver around corners" arises from poor training and too many movies. Unless you live in a hoarder trailer, 16" rifles and 18" can be maneuvered easily indoors, if you know what you're doing.

Also RIP is bullshit gimmick ammo.

This is the AR ammo forum so I probably shouldn't have responded to that post but I couldn't just let it sit out there where new folks might mistake it for good advice. Nothing personal, but you're new here and it would do you some good to learn a bit before trying to offer advice.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No. Just, no.

Pistols suck. I know you like your 1911 and I like mine too. They are fun to shoot and a decent carry gun if you are very well trained. But pistols suck at everything except being small enough to conveniently carry. Rifles and shotguns are far more powerful than pistols and easier to hit with. The idea that a pistol is "easier to maneuver around corners" arises from poor training and too many movies. Unless you live in a hoarder trailer, 16" rifles and 18" can be maneuvered easily indoors, if you know what you're doing.

Also RIP is bullshit gimmick ammo.

This is the AR ammo forum so I probably shouldn't have responded to that post but I couldn't just let it sit out there where new folks might mistake it for good advice. Nothing personal, but you're new here and it would do you some good to learn a bit before trying to offer advice.
View Quote

This is 100% accurate, taking a pistol when a rifle can be used is never a good idea.  Bluefalcon you should imbed your TMK video, another great rifle SD load.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Will do.

Best .223 load for defense of you have a 1:7" twist barrel and barrier performance is not a high priority:

If you have a 1:9" twist barrel and/or barrier performance is a high priority, this is one of the best choices.

In all honesty, you would be well served by choosing almost any 75 gr or heavier OTM or 55 gr or heavier soft point.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#12]
As noted, this is addressed in the FAQs.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top