Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/27/2015 4:39:41 PM EDT
I've seen it at bulkammo and wideners, but with shipping and insurance at bulkammo it comes to almost .39 a round and wideners is even higher. Does sgammo ever have the 1200 round bulk IMI?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Wideners has it for $408 for 1200 rounds. Before shipping it comes to .34 cents a round. Is shipping really add another $60+ to the order?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wideners has it for $408 for 1200 rounds. Before shipping it comes to .34 cents a round. Is shipping really add another $60+ to the order?
View Quote

Right before the M855 panic it was $350/1200.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:08:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:20:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

IMI is tricky because the network of importers to the USA is very very limited and they are retailers in the same business that I am in, so no easy way to get into that product line without trading dollars with another retailer which is something that I avoid. Still I am hopeful to work something out in time that could bring IMI to my store

Thanks

Sam
http://www.SGAmmo.com
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've seen it at bulkammo and wideners, but with shipping and insurance at bulkammo it comes to almost .39 a round and wideners is even higher. Does sgammo ever have the 1200 round bulk IMI?

IMI is tricky because the network of importers to the USA is very very limited and they are retailers in the same business that I am in, so no easy way to get into that product line without trading dollars with another retailer which is something that I avoid. Still I am hopeful to work something out in time that could bring IMI to my store

Thanks

Sam

Thank you for that info. I have always wondered why more retailers didn't sell IMI routinely.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:30:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks

Sam
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Sam

Here's hoping you get connected. You guys are the best!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, to ship to my little corner in the Pacific Northwest Wideners adds $50-$60 for shipping for 1200 rounds.  SGAmmo does has IMI M855 (no M193) and they only charge $18.00 to ship 1200 rounds.  

Wideners is ridiculous on shipping as they really try and stick it to us.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't see spending .39/rd on IMI when Federal 50gr is .32 delivered.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/4550/
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

408 + 52.09 (cheapest shipping) + insurance (I guess you have to go another page into checkout to get the insurance cost)

bulkammo  420 + 34.43 (cheapest shipping) + 10.50 insurance + .38 overbox
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
this is 32 cpr after shipping. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AWG223FMJ55&name=WOLF+GOLD+.223%2f5.56X45+55grn+FMJ+20rd+box&groupid=21

sure its not IMI, but its just as accurate.

View Quote

I just bought 1000 rounds from sgammo last week. 31.6 cents a round shipped.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks

Sam
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Sam

Y'all have other ammo that is better and priced competitively with IMI from Wideners.

I quit buying IMI because sgammo didn't have it.  I like sgammo that much.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
408 + 52.09 (cheapest shipping) + insurance (I guess you have to go another page into checkout to get the insurance cost)

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

$52 for shipping?

When I order from Wideners, it's usually $19-20 for a case of IMI via UPS ground.

Odd.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes, to ship to my little corner in the Pacific Northwest Wideners adds $50-$60 for shipping for 1200 rounds.  SGAmmo does has IMI M855 (no M193) and they only charge $18.00 to ship 1200 rounds.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya wideners has some great product that becomes retarded expensive with shipping....
i just sgammo it these days
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
$52 for shipping?    

When I order from Wideners, it's usually $19-20 for a case of IMI via UPS ground.

Odd.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$52 for shipping?    

Odd.

You live in OH, I live in OR.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
$52 for shipping?    

Odd.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$52 for shipping?    

Odd.

last two cases I ordered, they charged me $50 shipping EACH. I did a quote Sunday and shipping was under $30 so I ordered it. It came out to .36 per round shipped. Maybe they are learning. I gave them one more chance and it worked out in their favor....
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

last two cases I ordered, they charged me $50 shipping EACH. I did a quote Sunday and shipping was under $30 so I ordered it. It came out to .36 per round shipped. Maybe they are learning. I gave them one more chance and it worked out in their favor....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$52 for shipping?    

Odd.

I checked today. Still $52.09 for the cheapest shipping to my zip code.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Wideners was a little over $50 shipping (to Texas)  for a case last time I checked about a month ago.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wideners is two UPS zones farther away from the PacNW than SGA is.  To ship to me, in Texas, they've been downright reasonable (to be clear, that's not for this product).  Not to say anything bad about SGA, but Wideners isn't exactly gouging just because they charge more for shipping.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:39:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I'll add my .02 on shipping charges. Eric, feel free to delete this if necessary.

I've worked in the express shipping industry for 18 years. I have some knowledge of what discounts high volume shippers receive from common carriers. The discounts are staggering. The higher a companies shipping volume the deeper the discount the carriers offer them.

Dell showed the way to exploit this many years ago. UPS, for example, might quote $50 to ship a package for 2nd day delivery. Dell has negotiated a rate with UPS of $10 for that same package. Dell charges you the $50. Dell makes $40 profit on that package for doing absolutely nothing.

Companies took notice of this and many utilize the practice to this day. Use your own judgment when you see high shipping costs. Do you suppose said company ships many packages every day with FedEx or UPS? If the answer is yes, just do a little experiment.

Go to FedEx.com or UPS.com and get an estimate on what they would charge YOU, the little guy single shipper, to move that package from here to there. If that is what the company is charging you you're being played. They are NOT paying that rate.

Decide for yourself if you want to play that game. And pay to play it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:17:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I'll add my .02 on shipping charges. Eric, feel free to delete this if necessary.

I've worked in the express shipping industry for 18 years. I have some knowledge of what discounts high volume shippers receive from common carriers. The discounts are staggering. The higher a companies shipping volume the deeper the discount the carriers offer them.

Dell showed the way to exploit this many years ago. UPS, for example, might quote $50 to ship a package for 2nd day delivery. Dell has negotiated a rate with UPS of $10 for that same package. Dell charges you the $50. Dell makes $40 profit on that package for doing absolutely nothing.

Companies took notice of this and many utilize the practice to this day. Use your own judgment when you see high shipping costs. Do you suppose said company ships many packages every day with FedEx or UPS? If the answer is yes, just do a little experiment.

Go to FedEx.com or UPS.com and get an estimate on what they would charge YOU, the little guy single shipper, to move that package from here to there. If that is what the company is charging you you're being played. They are NOT paying that rate.

View Quote

I'll add to this (Eric, also delete if you wish).

When I was shopping UPS and FedEx for my business, they both offered about 30% off "retail" pricing. And, this was NOT for a large volume either. With UPS, you have to meet a minimum amount per week to receive the discount, which for me was only $50 or so worth of shipping per week.

I'm sure these companies are shipping MUCH more than that, and therefore they are getting even better discounts.

So, in the end, the $52 they are charging the member above is just crazy.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

When I was shopping UPS and FedEx for my business, they both offered about 30% off "retail" pricing. And, this was NOT for a large volume either. With UPS, you have to meet a minimum amount per week to receive the discount, which for me was only $50 or so worth of shipping per week.

I'm sure these companies are shipping MUCH more than that, and therefore they are getting even better discounts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree the $50+ that Wideners charges is crazy and in my opinion they just gouge their customers (especially those of us on the West Coast) - that is why I am no longer a customer of theirs and I know many others that have stopped using them due to shipping costs.

SGAmmo has earned my business as they treat me fair with shipping costs.

Both of these companies do a tremendous amount of shipping so they would both qualify for the best shipping rates, only difference it appears is that Wideners pockets the shipping savings.  I have ordered IMI from Wideners a couple times so I know fist hand how they treated me with shipping.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I was actually thinking about posting the same info about shipping charges and big shippers.  Those that pass the full "book rate" shipping charge to the customer are making additional profit on the shipping.  Good companies charge what they actually pay.

As an example of how good the discounts can be, my FIL worked for a very large company and was able to ship personally with FedEx at the same rate the Company paid...50% off list price!

Rob
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#23]
To add to the discussion of discounted shipping charges, every shipper needs personnel to pack the products, and they need materials for them to put the products into so that the whole shipment gets to the destination pretty much intact.  Manpower and materials for small things aren't that expensive, but when we're talking about a 1200 round box of ammunition, it takes more robust packaging.  Even if this particular product only needs Joe to stick a label on it and move it to the UPS pick up table, NOBODY has "by the item" shipping rates.  That's impossible to manage.  If I'm paying something near the standard retail UPS rate for shipping, I want to get an intact, undamaged package with my product safe inside.  I've never had any issues with Wideners shipping stuff that got banged up along the way.

Back to the original point, with relatively few IMI distributors, the retail customer may have fewer choices for who to buy from, and that will include whose shipping the customer is happier with.  I think IMI may need to rethink their narrow distribution system, because lots of people are going to go for a brand that is available from more vendors, because this is called "competition," and it is good for both the customers and the market itself.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Wideners is two UPS zones farther away from the PacNW than SGA is.  To ship to me, in Texas, they've been downright reasonable (to be clear, that's not for this product).  Not to say anything bad about SGA, but Wideners isn't exactly gouging just because they charge more for shipping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I can tell, everybody - no matter what UPS zone - is paying the same shipping rate ($16) for a 1000 rounds of Wolf Gold from SGAmmo.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
To add to the discussion of discounted shipping charges, every shipper needs personnel to pack the products, and they need materials for them to put the products into so that the whole shipment gets to the destination pretty much intact.  Manpower and materials for small things aren't that expensive, but when we're talking about a 1200 round box of ammunition, it takes more robust packaging.  Even if this particular product only needs Joe to stick a label on it and move it to the UPS pick up table, NOBODY has "by the item" shipping rates.  That's impossible to manage.  If I'm paying something near the standard retail UPS rate for shipping, I want to get an intact, undamaged package with my product safe inside.  I've never had any issues with Wideners shipping stuff that got banged up along the way.

Back to the original point, with relatively few IMI distributors, the retail customer may have fewer choices for who to buy from, and that will include whose shipping the customer is happier with.  I think IMI may need to rethink their narrow distribution system, because lots of people are going to go for a brand that is available from more vendors, because this is called "competition," and it is good for both the customers and the market itself.
View Quote

SGAmmo gets people their bulk ammo intact for 16 bucks, so apparently you don't have to charge $50+ for shipping to provide good service. And, they overbox without an additional charge. Your right about one thing, IMI should rethink their narrow distribution system by dealing with SGAmmo.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
SGAmmo gets people their bulk ammo intact for 16 bucks, so apparently you don't have to charge $50+ for shipping to provide good service. And, they overbox without an additional charge.
View Quote
The two vendors being in different labor markets probably has something to do with it as well.  It's all about the business model and how that works in the local market.  To restate and emphasize, I seriously doubt that Wideners is intentionally "soaking" customers, because that's bad for business.  Of course if they got substantial amounts of feedback that said "I'd have bought from you except that your shipping is way too expensive," that might cause them to at least rethink their model.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:09:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think the simplest way to look at it is that if you have to ship a package twice as far its going to cost a lot more and it is a heavy carton to boot which also runs the cost up fast. In buying ammo online it is almost always the most cost effective to buy from a dealer that is not within your state to bypass sales tax, but not too far away in order to keep shipping cost down. I doubt labor cost has much to do with it because my boys seem to be somewhat over-paid at $21 to $25 per hour plus medical insurance, and UPS guys are going to be making about the same money here or there. I doubt the other dealer mention here is padding extra profit into shipping, like most they are probably charging their invoiced 'actual cost' without passing on some of the special discounts which is a customary practice in this business and in no way unethical. If you think those rates are bad try gettign quotes from any dealer in Florida shipped to WA, and you can see $70 to $90 fees for a case of ammo

Thanks

sam

www.SGAmmo.com

View Quote

This is one of the reasons I prefer ordering from you guys as opposed to buying bulk ammo locally. Sales tax here is 8.25%.

$16 shipping charge saves me money over sales tax.

If there's just a box or two of some load I want to try out I'll buy that locally. And if it's something I like I'll buy more from y'all.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I use to like Wideners until they pulled all thier IMI during the 855 scare and then marked it all up and put it back up for sale
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I checked Widener's and shipping is $23 for a case to me here on the coast of NC.  But I remember when I used to add a second case, and shipping would only go up by a few dollars.  I added a second case now and it doubled the shipping quote.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Wideners won't get a nickel from me. They are not competitive in ammo pricing.

SGammo is my go to ammo supplier! They're the best!!  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top