Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2015 3:25:29 PM EDT
Related to a similar thread about choosing what to burn up.  I regard this as good 5.56 ammo.  It's always been kept in controlled conditions.

I have a variety of other rounds, many being lower quality IMO, so do I use up the PMC based only on age?  I generally consider ammo to be damn near eternal and have lots of much older stuff in many calibers.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi,

It's probably a good idea to put it into the rotation to be shot.   The ammunition has been around 35-40 years, and odd things like stress cracks in the metal start happening if the annealing wasn't done right on the cartridge case.  The ammo was OK for practice back in the day out of my Mini-14:-)

Best Wishes:  
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I would shoot it and buy some more to replace it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Save it. WWII .50cal ammo is working great to this day under the .mils care!

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#4]
It's probably good to go, but I would shoot it and replace it with newer ammo. Why not?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Shoot it and save the brass for reloading down the line.

Old ammo should always be fired first. New ammo will become old ammo sooner than you think.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Shoot 'em up. Rreplace with IMI.  Good stuff here re ammo storage & deterioration:  http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=157820
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Pics?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:29:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I would shoot it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:32:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#11]
The early stuff used to have a real good reputation here . Stored well it will last until your grandchildren shoot it
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the replies.

One reason I haven't used it up is that the brass is hard with crimped primers and I hate reloading it.  On the other hand, that's what makes it good ammo.  That and I've got some real crap ammo to burn first.

I'll sit on it a few more years, AND buy more.

Thanks
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top