Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/5/2015 11:47:55 PM EDT
Long story short I have been wanting to get into reloading for a while and been trying to do as much research as I can and I think I have an idea where I'm going with it but could use some pointers before I spend some hard earned money on junk. I think that what I have found would be a good start to me to reload 5.56/.223 ammo would be this list.RCBS Reloader Special-5 Explorer Plus Single Stage Press Kit,RCBS Vibratory Case Tumbler 110 Volt,RCBS Formula 1 Brass Cleaning Media Walnut Hull 5 lb,Lee Case Conditioning Kit,RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo 2,RCBS AR Series Small Base 2-Die Set with Taper Crimp 223 Remington. Obviously I would still need bullets primers and powder. I have a TON of 223 brass and have free supply of it as well. This would put me out the door for a little under $600 after shipping and rebates. My question is for that budget is there a better way to go or is there something that would still leave me needing other then components? Sorry if this is in the wrong section and if its a dumb question but I'm totally new to reloading but really want to get into it for a while now. Thanks in advance for the help.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:45:44 AM EDT
[#1]
hi path is - armory> Reloading forum. Lot of stuff you still need.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:46:43 AM EDT
[#2]
First, welcome to ARF.

2nd, as nmichlig said, there is much more info available in the reloading forum, and plenty of people to help you there.  Look for DryFlash...he kinda runs things there.

3rd , you might also want to watch some of the extensive YOUTUBE videos on the subject.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:28:15 AM EDT
[#3]
First, RCBS reloading equipment is far from junk.  Second for 223/5.56 I think you'll be a lot better off if you start with a manually operated progressive press like Dillon's 550B.  (It can also be used as a single-stage press if you so choose.)  Among other things you'll, definitely, need a:  powder scale, (I recommend a non-electronic/balance beam scale.) dial caliper,  a vibratory tumbler, case mouth chamfering/reaming tool, and some sort of case trimmer with the appropriate shell holder, and neck collet.  (RCBS makes all of this ancillary equipment.)  

Personally, I don't like to reload without final checking my finished rounds with an appropriate caliber (Wilson) case gauge; and, in order to more easily set up a progressive press like Dillon's 550B you should have one of Dillon's nice 'n flat lock ring wrenches.  

YOU WILL, ALSO, NEED A WOODEN BENCH THAT'S IDEALLY, 'BARSTOOL HEIGHT', (OR SLIGHTLY HIGHER THAN YOUR BELT BUCKLE).  

Several die manufacturers offer carbide 5.56 sizing dies either singly, or as part of a complete set.  Dillon dies have always worked well for me; but, I was never shy about sending any sizing die I thought had too loose a base back to Dillon in order to get it tightened up.  RCBS and Redding sizing dies can be had in, 'small base' configuration - Which makes the cartridges these dies produce ideally suited for use in a semi-automatic/full automatic firearm.  Under the heading of, 'Nice To Have' I'd add plastic ammo boxes from someplace like Berry Manufacturing; an RCBS, 'Case Prep' Station; and if you go with a Dillon progressive you'll need a toolhead stand.  

If you haven't already got a,'Speer, #14, Reloading Manual' then get one.  'The ABC's of Reloading' is, also, good to keep on the bench.  I used to enjoy reading reloading manuals.  The technical front and back sections of the Speer Manual were always worth, 'gold' to me; and I learned a lot from both of these books.  If you're not aware, NRA Training, now, teaches reloading.  If you like, call Fairfax @ 703-267-1500 and ask the Training Department for the names of Reloading Instructors in your area.  

By the way my idea of a perfect reloading setup is to have an RCBS, 'Rockchucker' on one end of the bench, and a Dillon 550B on the other.  In between is the manual powder measure (Often shelf-mounted) case/cleaner vibrator, and case trimming lathe.  (Mine was stored under the shelf when it wasn't in use; and bolted to the front of the bench with a small C-clamp when I was using it.)  Hope this helps you out.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#4]
That's great info to start looking into for me thank you a lot.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Please use the Reloading forum under the Armory tab. Start with the FAQs.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top