Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/3/2015 8:50:39 PM EDT
My new barrel say to break it in to shoot 60 copper round through it, cleaning between every five.  Which .225/.556 are copper?  They all look copper but they don't say on the packaging and the one that did, Hornsby, said it was copper colored non lead material, so, I guess even the ones that look copper may not be.

Which are real copper?  I assume it is to wear off in the new barrel and fill in the micro grooves?  I remember reading something about the why before, but o don't remember.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:24:00 PM EDT
[#1]
What sort of rifle / barrel do you have? If it's a chrome lined barrel I wouldn't bother with any of that.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:33:05 PM EDT
[#2]
X-Treme makes copper plated projectiles
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:23:21 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a black hole weaponry barrel. I'm not sure if it's chrome lined. It is 3p poly rifled with Melanie treatment. Whatever that means.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:44:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a black hole weaponry barrel. I'm not sure if it's chrome lined. It is 3p poly rifled with Melanie treatment. Whatever that means.
View Quote

Ahh, the Melanie treatment! Good times..  

Melonite is the barrel treatment and it's a good one. So not chrome lined. In that case I would follow their recommendation. You can use any common .223 / 5.56 loading to do it. Not steel cased Russian ammo. Use XM193 or 855 or any inexpensive ammo. Do as they recommend and then start looking for a load that your barrel prefers for accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:50:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn auto correct, I will make a point of proof reading better.

It is also made of 416R Stainless Steel and Caudel 3 land polygonal rifling. Are these good things as well?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:42:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn auto correct, I will make a point of proof reading better.

It is also made of 416R Stainless Steel and Caudel 3 land polygonal rifling. Are these good things as well?
View Quote

Yes. You will LOVE what your rifle will do. After buying one BHW barrel, I'm starting to slowly put them on ALL my rifles.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top