Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2015 4:36:17 PM EDT
I opened up a box of what is supposedly new 75gr Hornady BTHP only to find this blue shit on the ammo. I've never seen this. Corrosion of some kind?

Thanks for the help

Title edited to conform to COC#1. dryflash3
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:40:30 AM EDT
[#1]
The whole box, or just that one?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:48:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Corrosion!  Pretty bad, too.  I'd be concerned enough to contact the seller or Hornady about replacement.

Almost certainly, but not absolutely, it is due to improper storage conditions.  Where has it been kept?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:24:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:39:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I figured as much, thanks for the replies.  It's been sitting in a connex for a few months.

As far as the ammo goes, should the rounds without any corrosion be good to go, or would it be better just to burn it all as training ammo?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:39:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The whole box, or just that one?
View Quote

It's a couple per box of 20.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:13:48 AM EDT
[#6]
IBTC,LOL
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:11:04 AM EDT
[#7]
It's only 20 rnds; I'd wipe it off and shoot it; replace with newer stock if it's going to be "non-training" ammo.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Ammo cans...

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's only 20 rnds; I'd wipe it off and shoot it; replace with newer stock if it's going to be "non-training" ammo.
View Quote

This

Id just wipe it down with some really fine steel wool and shoot it up.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#10]
If it's only a few, hand clean them.  If more than a few, clean them in a vibratory cleaner with walnut media for half an hour or for however long it takes to clean them up.

Watch very closely for small pit holes.  Also after shooting some of them, check for small pits.

I'd shoot them, but I'd watch the whole batch closely.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I should have been clear: every 2 or so rounds per 20 are like this.  There are boxes on boxes on boxes like this.

We'll just burn it and order some more.  We have plenty of standard ammo for "non-training" use, but I love me some Hornady.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Moving thread as that is factory ammo, not a reloading topic.
View Quote
Why did you move it to Equipment Exchange?

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like standard copper oxidation to me. I'd shoot it.

But, you probably have a fancy accuracy rifle with an SS barrel and any little deviation throws your shot off by 5 feet. Shoot it through a cheap AR.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Personally... I would contact Hornady if you have a consistent amount of that corrosion.

Does anyone know what that kind of corrosion might do blasting down your barrel ?

If you guys paid for factory fresh... I would truly prefer that.... rather than abusing my high dollar match rifle.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:43:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Had similar on some reloads.

I pulled the neck off this one with my fingers.

Trashed them all.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:21:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Corrosion caused by deteriorated powder?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Corrosion caused by deteriorated powder?
View Quote

I think this man is right. I would contact Hornady.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I figured as much, thanks for the replies.  It's been sitting in a connex for a few months.

As far as the ammo goes, should the rounds without any corrosion be good to go, or would it be better just to burn it all as training ammo?
View Quote

It not Hornady's problem.

You need to store ammunition it a cool dry environment.  A connex is typically neither.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Your ammos got the herps, ship it to me and ill properly dispose of it

Just corrosion caused by moisture. I had some water get into a loaded mag once and put it away for storage, few months later i pulled it out and they were turning blue/green.

Just use a little steel wool or tumble them in media, and youre gtg, i would shoot them as plinking ammo just in case though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I would caution against firing that. I broke the neck off of the piece of brass you see in my post with my fingers. It was extremely brittle. I don't know if the head of the case was brittle but I would not want to find out.

B
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top