Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/18/2015 11:42:16 AM EDT
I am going shooting this weekend for the first time with my new (and first) AR-15, is the Remington UMC ammo good enough for sighting in my iron sights and shooting irons and paper?  If y'all have any better or cheaper but still quality ammo please chime in also.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:47:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Also, I know there is cheaper ammo like TulAmmo steel case, but I am extremely hesitant to use that in my gun, not only because it might damage the gun but it also probably isn't particularly accurate. Am I correct in that assumption or is that actually okay ammo?  The UMC seems to be much higher quality.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#2]
It's decent .223 power ammo. I have never had any issues with it, shot maybe 3k or so. Sometimes, during the various "crisis" it was all I could get through Walmart......If I was buying ammo right now to blast, I would buy this-

http://www.sgammo.com/product/223-556mm/100-round-lot-223-rem-55-grain-fmj-brass-case-non-magnetic-wolf-gold-ar-15-ammunit
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Your Remington is GTG shoot it with confidence.

I also do not like the Tula, because of its in-accuracy and ... frankly, the smell... it REEKS of ammonia every time I have shot it. So much so that it kind of burns my sinus's.

I will also recommend an ammo for 100yd range time use ... ( not self defense, since it is a varmint bullet... )

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/4550/category/47/

While not everyone has had outstanding results with that ammo, accuracy wise, ... it has been VERY accurate out of all of my rifles. Slightly over 1 inch groups at 100yards.

I am a firm believer in practicing with accurate ammo... not the cheapest ammo you can buy... it is more important to develop good marksmanship skills.

And using accurate ammo will allow you to focus on your trigger skills and holding the rifle steady, rather then wondering if that missed shot was the crappy ammo or you.

The sale price is a fantastic deal.... but PSA's shipping can be quite slow at times.

If you do buy some... please let us know if your rifle shoots it accurately.

Wolf Gold brass cased 55gr FMJ has a ( IMHO ) decent enough accuracy track record to use as well.

And save your brass, regardless if you reload or not..... I think about all the brass I left lying around, and wish I hadn't.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:11:44 AM EDT
[#4]
My experience with Rem UMC ammunition is that it's crap. 9mm, .45, .223 .

Very dirty and seems to have random powder charges. I don't like it or trust it and won't buy it anymore.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:09:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's decent .223 power ammo. I have never had any issues with it, shot maybe 3k or so. Sometimes, during the various "crisis" it was all I could get through Walmart......If I was buying ammo right now to blast, I would buy this-
http://www.sgammo.com/product/223-556mm/100-round-lot-223-rem-55-grain-fmj-brass-case-non-magnetic-wolf-gold-ar-15-ammunit
View Quote

+1 on wolf gold
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:49:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My experience with Rem UMC ammunition is that it's crap. 9mm, .45, .223 .

Very dirty and seems to have random powder charges. I don't like it or trust it and won't buy it anymore.

YMMV.
View Quote

I've found the 9mm to be pretty clean shooting.  Though I do agree with the random powder charges, seems like there's always at least one or two rounds per mag that have noticeably more or less recoil than the rest.  Overall it seems to be loaded pretty weak as well.  As also gotten a couple boxes with rounds that had the bullet down in the casing as far as it would go, or the bullet moved up and down in the casing.  After that I avoid all UMC ammo.  Wolf Gold is probably cheaper anyway.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#7]
how is the UMC .223 brass? worth saving for reloading?
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
how is the UMC .223 brass? worth saving for reloading?
View Quote

Yes , very much so.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, decent plinking ammo and decent brass for reloading.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#10]
The brass is decent but it is consistently underpowered in 9mm and .223 . I have shot a good bit . The 9 will barely cycle my Uzi
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#11]
It's crap, the only good thing about it is that the brass is reloadable.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#12]
It isn't great, but not too bad either. Probably about 2-3 moa out of my rifles. In probably 1500 rounds, I've had zero malfunctions.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Unless you can get it cheaper than Wolf Gold or PMC bronze, there are cheaper, better choices. I've seen inconsistent bullet seating depth on it often. It's mediocre.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 11:22:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I shot some across the Chrono from 10 feet yesterday. Test Gun , 16" Palmetto State Armory AR

Average speed = 2860 fps

Didn't try shooting accuracy groups.  I was working with some reloads and just happened to have some of this in my range bag and chronographed it just for fun.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:41:04 AM EDT
[#15]
The only place I ever see it, it seems to be 50 cents a round.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got it for 40 cents a round, at that price is it worth spending the money? Or should I go with wolf?
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I got it for 40 cents a round, at that price is it worth spending the money? Or should I go with wolf?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wolf.

I tested a pile of 'bulk' ammo for precision using a match-grade rifle - offerings from federal, PMC, PPU, and Wolf Gold.  Wolf Gold was the most consistent - printed an average group half the size of all of the other types of ammo.  Considering its the cheapest brass stuff out there, its a bargain.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:39:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Wolf
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 3:25:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Another vote for Wolf GOLD. Pretty standard loading, feeds well and has pretty good accuracy out of my 16" barreled AR. Buy some!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Practice, as said in a Post above, with something that does not have you endlessly trying to sight in ... unlike the inconsistent Remington .223.
Never understood even plinking with crap, inaccurate ammo that was "cheap".

Suggestion: This shoots 2 MOA  for me and for now far more cheaper than the Remy ~
AE 50 gr VT ( shoots very well out of my 1:7's, GF...)
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/4550/category/53/
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:22:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top