Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/17/2015 9:57:46 PM EDT
Spent quite a bit of time at the range today with my somewhat new to me Ruger AR-5.56. Shooting from rock solid sand bags. Gun has a Leupold AR 3x9 scope with Wilson Combat mount. When I bought the gun I picked up 1k rounds of Independence 5.56 55 grain FMJ. This ammo has cycled flawlessly. But shooting 3 shot groups at 100 yds the best group I can shoot is 2-3 inches. The gun only has about 200 rounds through it.I Ireally think I should be able to shoot tighter groups than that. Thinking it must be the ammo from what I have read on this site. Would like to buy a box of quality, accurate ammo if there is such a thing. And try shooting it to see if i can shoot any tighter groups. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Would like to stick with the same 55 grain FMJ. As i still have quite a bit of the Independence left.

Thanks
Marty
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 1:56:35 AM EDT
[#1]
That sounds about right for that Independence stuff.

M193 spec ammo can fly well, but don't expect MOA or better results. It's 2-4MOA ammo.

If you want 1.5" or better groups from your rifle, I'd suggest looking into projectiles other than 55gr FMJ.

The most accurate factory .223/5.56mm ammo I've used to date is Australian Outback Ammo's (aka ADI) 55gr BlitzKing load. It shoots better than any other factory ammo I've tried, out of various rifles.

Good luck, and if you're anywhere near NW Ohio, I'd gladly donate a box for you to try.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:07:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info and offer to try some ammo, Unfortunately I'm in NE Ohio.
Marty
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#3]
deleted
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Picked up a few boxes of ADI ammo. Went out today and shot it. Was able to shoot 1" groups with several holes touching each other. Quite a difference from the Independence ammo. The independence shot the same from 100 yds. to 150 yds. The ADI at 150 yds was about 3" high, still a tight group but high. Must still be climbing at that range.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:15:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Picked up a few boxes of ADI ammo. Went out today and shot it. Was able to shoot 1" groups with several holes touching each other. Quite a difference from the Independence ammo. The independence shot the same from 100 yds. to 150 yds. The ADI at 150 yds was about 3" high, still a tight group but high. Must still be climbing at that range.
View Quote

Good to hear.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#6]
My 7:1 barreled Core 15 doesn't like that 50g but I get great groups with both PMC Bronze and Xtac as well as 855 lake city. Like many say try a box and see how it does...

Quoted:
I strongly suggest this....http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/4550/category/53/ ( granted not a 55gr FMJ bullet )

I have seen that ammo shoot 1 MOA from numerous AR15's.... ( usual YMMV ) , sometimes just besting various FGMM lots, at 100yards.

For the level of accuracy v. price , I would be hard pressed to find a better suggestion. If it performs as well for you as it has for me ( and others ) you should be impressed.

FYI, that ammo may be at the end of its sale price , since it has been on sale for quite some time.... and be prepared to wait for delivery ( up to 3 weeks ) , since it is coming from PSA.

As for sticking with 55gr FMJ.... well ...I don't expect much from "bulk" 55gr FMJ style bullets.

GECO 55gr FMJ has preformed very well for me, accuracy wise at 100yds,  but current inexpensive sources ( $17 / 50 ) have dried up.

One other "issue" with the GECO 55gr FMJ is that it probably does not fragment like mil-spec M193 bullets.... just an FYI.

So if you are strictly looking for accuracy at 100yds, not SD fragmenting, I whole heartily recommend it as well.

Wolf Gold brass cased 55gr FMJ may also perform better than most 55gr FMJ.... some rifles like it , some do not....
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:22:34 PM EDT
[#7]
3 shot groups are worthless.  5 shot groups are slightly less worthless, but not much.

10 shot groups will tell you a lot more about what's really going on.  I like 9 shots, a reload, then the last round.

I have shot a few boxes of the ADI 55gr Blitz Kings with great accuracy out of a 14.5" BCM BFH barrel.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:33:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Check out the CBC 77gr stuff.. bought some from palmetto state armory and  I have been shooting just under 4.5 inches at 400 yards and I am no marksman.

CBC designed this as an alternative to Black Hills Mk262
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:35:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ammo doesn't climb. Imagine throwing a football. The bullet does the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Check out the CBC 77gr stuff.. bought some from palmetto state armory and  I have been shooting just under 4.5 inches at 400 yards and I am no marksman.

CBC designed this as an alternative to Black Hills Mk262
View Quote

I agree with this.
I had tried PPU 69gr Match, PPU 75gr Match, BH Mk262, IMI 77gr OTM, Federal 55gr Tactical, Federal 50gr Tipped, and CBC 77gr OTM....and CBC performed the best.

With me behind the trigger, with 4x ACOG, with rifle on a stable range bag but no stable rear support, all rifles are 1 MOA to 1.5 MOA all day using the ammo it likes which happens to be CBC 77gr OTM.
The CBC 77gr OTM is relatively cheap at $0.60/rd and it easily will do 1 MOA - 1.5 MOA out of my SR15 Mod1, which has a LW CHF CL 16" 1/7 twist barrel.
20% of the time it will be 1 MOA, the other 80% would be 1.25-1.5 MOA accuracy.

I have 3 complete SR15 Mod1 and 1 Mod1 upper.
All 4 shoots about the same.

Keep in mind, I am no marksman, and the indoor range I go to doesn't have the best shooting table  ....

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

3 shot groups are worthless.  5 shot groups are slightly less worthless, but not much.

10 shot groups will tell you a lot more about what's really going on.  I like 9 shots, a reload, then the last round.

I have shot a few boxes of the ADI 55gr Blitz Kings with great accuracy out of a 14.5" BCM BFH barrel.
View Quote
I disagree.

3-shot and 5-shot groups have their place in the world.

3-shot groups are great for walking in a zero, and saving ammo.

Shooting multiple 5-shot groups can still give you a good deal of information about the shooter, rifle, ammo, etc. Look at the 1MOA all day challenge, for example.

10-shot groups offer the statistical advantage. However, unless you're using a machine rest, I feel that they too can be flawed due to shooter's influence, fatigue, etc.

To say 3-shot and 5-shot are worthless is silly.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Black Hills 69gr or 77gr HPBT offerings are about as accurate as you can get.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:06:54 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree.    
3-shot and 5-shot groups have their place in the world.
3-shot groups are great for walking in a zero, and saving ammo.
Shooting multiple 5-shot groups can still give you a good deal of information about the shooter, rifle, ammo, etc. Look at the 1MOA all day challenge, for example.
10-shot groups offer the statistical advantage. However, unless you're using a machine rest, I feel that they too can be flawed due to shooter's influence, fatigue, etc.
To say 3-shot and 5-shot are worthless is silly.

You are sadly misinformed.
http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Three_Shot_Groups/The_Trouble_With_3_Shot_Groups.htm#_Toc412927269

How so?

While I highly respect Molon, and have learned a great deal from him, I never quite agreed with him on one subject: the difference between using 5-shot groups vs 10-shot, when the sample size is the same (30 shots total fired).

If you read the original thread where he posted the information you copied and pasted, I asked him about this, and his response doesn't really give you much to go off of. He just says that they (5-shot groups) are inferior, and doesn't give a good explanation as to why. Being that I test ammo to write about it, I'm trying to increase my knowledge continually, and I looked up to Molon and respected his opinion. I was hoping for some type of answer that would educate me on the subject, versus one that would just say I'm wrong; with no supporting evidence to back up that statement.

I'm not misinformed. I use 3-shot, sometimes 2-shot groups to WALK IN A ZERO. I then proceed to shoot several 5-shot groups, or 10-shot groups to actually zero the rifle. I guess wanting to conserve ammo/money makes me sadly misinformed.

As far as precision or accuracy are concerned, shooting five or six 5-shot groups does still give you a good amount of data on a shooter/rifle/ammo combination.

If we are talking about using a machine rest, where no human error is involved, then I agree that there's no reason to not use 10-shot groups.

However, to say that 5-shot groups are worthless is silly. Just like 3-shot groups; they have their place in the world.  So long as you are taking ALL of the data into account when determining the performance of a shooter/rifle/ammo combo, using multiple 5-shot groups, in my opinion, still gives you a good indication of how well a shooter/rifle/ammo combo are doing. The problem is taking only your best 5-shot group, and then saying you have a 1/4" or 1/2" capable rifle, when if you combine the rest of the groups, your average ES is more like 1 and 1/4" at 100 yards.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top