Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/14/2015 9:13:24 PM EDT
How does their 5.56 stack up to other brands?
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
How does their 5.56 stack up to other brands?
View Quote

I used to really like Freedom, but have had bad luck with feeding an popped primers with their .223. You can get Wolf Gold for the same or cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I've fine through 1000 rounds of reman .223 and more reman 9mm from them with no problems.  They're probably my favorite ammo source
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Saw my very first squib with 9mm reman in a friends fns9. Had to push the round out with a rod.
Freedom offered to replace the 1 round and didnt care about the lot number.

the 223 new I bought from them went thru fine.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 12:33:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I've shot a few hundred rounds of their reman .223 without issue. That said,  I've only experienced 3 squib loads in my life and all three were FM reman 9mm, which  doesn't inspire great confidence with the remaining .223 rounds I still have.

You used to be able to save a few bucks with their .223 REMAN ammo when they would run their free shipping promos, which they have not done in quite some time, but since we are talking about new ammo and no free shipping, there's zero reason choose it over Wolf Gold
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 4:16:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've shot a few hundred rounds of their reman .223 without issue. That said,  I've only experienced 3 squib loads in my life and all three were FM reman 9mm, which  doesn't inspire great confidence with the remaining .223 rounds I still have.

You used to be able to save a few bucks with their .223 REMAN ammo when they would run their free shipping promos, which they have not done in quite some time, but since we are talking about new ammo and no free shipping, there's zero reason choose it over Wolf Gold
View Quote

google freedom munitions horror stories, then wolf gold horror stories.

which one yields moar results?

Wolf Gold wins

ETA
crap I wasted post 666.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wolf Gold wins

ETA
crap I wasted post 666.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wolf Gold wins

ETA
crap I wasted post 666.  

I know many shooters that shoot both and I shoot a lot of wolf gold. Wolf gold has never blown up a gun that I personally know the owner, but FM has. The last 10 matches I have shot, most competitors shoot wolf gold. Thousands of rounds without a single issue.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a light primer strike in my Glock 19 today with their 9mm reman.

also my new BCM 14.5 kmr upper and psa lower ate 300 rounds of Wolf Gold today. It was heavily lubed from the factory and I hit the bolt rails with some TW-25B.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I only buy their new 9mm, I've never had a problem with it 2k rounds of 115gr and 500 of their 124gr. I'm going to order 1k of their 147gr new to run thru my suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn...just bought 240 rounds of reman 308 150 grain, 60 rnds of reman 168 amax and 60 of reman 168 bthp match.  First time buying rifle rounds from them.  Ive shot almost 2k rounds of 9mm 115gr reman and they all ran flawless so far in my m&p9.  **knocking on wood as i type this**. I heard the horror stories as well, but most if not all pertain to their reman stuff.  I believe their new stuff is generally gtg.  The price difference between the two isnt that great either.  Just gotta buy them when they have it because they go quick.

Roy

EDIT:  i seem to notice for every time someone claims freedom ammo dicked up their gun or a buddy's gun, 3 people reply back stating their ammo has been flawless.  This leads me to believe that most people will run freedom with little to no issue, but there will be a chance you might get a bad batch/lot.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Damn...just bought 240 rounds of reman 308 150 grain, 60 rnds of reman 168 amax and 60 of reman 168 bthp match.  First time buying rifle rounds from them.  Ive shot almost 2k rounds of 9mm 115gr reman and they all ran flawless so far in my m&p9.  **knocking on wood as i type this**. I heard the horror stories as well, but most if not all pertain to their reman stuff.  I believe their new stuff is generally gtg.  The price difference between the two isnt that great either.  Just gotta buy them when they have it because they go quick.

Roy

EDIT:  i seem to notice for every time someone claims freedom ammo dicked up their gun or a buddy's gun, 3 people reply back stating their ammo has been flawless.  This leads me to believe that most people will run freedom with little to no issue, but there will be a chance you might get a bad batch/lot.
View Quote

Are you willing to bet your fingers on that?

I know of several guns this spring that had kabooms. One is a personal friend and his upper receiver was split in two. When I saw the aftermath, I couldn't believe he still had his fingers.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I know of several guns this spring that had kabooms. One is a personal friend and his upper receiver was split in two. When I saw the aftermath, I couldn't believe he still had his fingers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roy

Nope .  Just an observation....yes they have problems with squibs and such in their reman stuff but excluding their recent recall of their 9mm reman which supposedly had a lot of light loads causing squibs, i see a lot more people happy with their stuff than not.  Again, just an observation mixed in with very limited personal experience (2k rounds of 9mm reman flawless so far).  Im not trusting my life with it either, its just range ammo.  Believe me, i know the dangers of a squib and when i run across one whether from FM or not, i pray to god that i catch it before i lose more than just my fingers.

Roy
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I've only round a few hundred here or there, and haven't had an issue. I did have a misfire on their 147gr FMJ Hush, but it went off the second strike.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#13]
"most people" is the operative phrase.  Who wants to be one of the "least" people?  Most generous of FA to replace prior poster's one round of bad 9mm.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:32:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I've shot quite a bit of Freedom's stuff. Probably in the neighborhood of 2000 reman 5.56 and 1500 reman 9mm FMJ. Very first batch I had a case swell up in the chamber of my AR. Casing was just slighly swollen. Pull the charging handle and out came the casing. Not a single issue since. Happy to continue using it. Also several guys around my area using it without issues as well.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#15]
So i just got my first shipment of rifle ammo and just finished inspecting them.  I got 240 rnds of 150gr 308 reman, 60 rnds of reman 168gr 308 bthp, 60 rnds of reman 168gr 308 a-max, and 100 rnds each of .223 new 69gr/77gr bthp.  Here are my observations...

First the 240 rnds of 308 150gr reman fmj...
All except 2 rounds were nato brass.  They were relatively clean.  1/5 brass casings had a ding or dent on the shoulder but the rest of the casings were undamaged.  All LC nato brass and some other nato brass had chamber markings that looked like 5 or 6 short straight line markings spaced evenly around the shoulder of the brass.  Some didnt have these markings.  From observation, all the primers were seated consistently.  Projectiles were not seated consistently.  All, i guess, were within "acceptable specs" but some were seated a little more than others.  To clarify, i can see more or less bullet crimping in each cartridge.  There were a lot of cartridges that had specks of gunpowder on it.  Literally specks, but still noticeable.

Next, reman 308 168gr bthp and 168gr a-max...
All brass were nato.  MUCH cleaner casings than the above 150gr reman.  Still same ratio of slightly dinged shoulders.  None to very little chamber markings.  Both primers and bullets were all seated consistently.  Each cartridge had same amount of bullet crimp showing.  Overall much nicer and looks practically new with only the dings telling you they're reman.

Finally, NEW .223 69gr and 77gr bthp...
All brass were "CBC 14 5.56" marked.  Brass is pretty much the same as you would get from Lake City, dirty looking.  All primers and bullets were seated in uniform.
Pretty much looks like m193 ammo you would get from federal or LC, except obviously these are heavier bthp projectiles.

Hopefully i can shoot some of it today or tomorrow to check for function and accuracy, so i will report back when i do.

Roy
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I am going to pull a random sampling of the remainder of the 1K reman'd 150gr 308's. I just shot at HeMan in Raton and either my gun is Fubar or the ammo is shit. I kinda doubt its the gun....
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am going to pull a random sampling of the remainder of the 1K reman'd 150gr 308's. I just shot at HeMan in Raton and either my gun is Fubar or the ammo is shit. I kinda doubt its the gun....
View Quote

What kind of issues were u experiencing?
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#18]
On one stage I had 6 stovepipes.  I have video of that stage. Out of 7 Stages i had 2 stages where there were no malfunctions.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I emailed freedom to cancel an order the morning after placing it, to which they didn't respond. The order shipped, but when I checked tracking a few days later it was returned to sender. Every time I called to follow up, the call went to voicemail. I sent two more emails with no response & had to file a chargeback with my bank to get a refund. It could be the best ammo in the world, you couldn't pay me to order from Freedom Munitions again.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So i just got my first shipment of rifle ammo and just finished inspecting them.  I got 240 rnds of 150gr 308 reman, 60 rnds of reman 168gr 308 bthp, 60 rnds of reman 168gr 308 a-max, and 100 rnds each of .223 new 69gr/77gr bthp.  Here are my observations...

First the 240 rnds of 308 150gr reman fmj...
All except 2 rounds were nato brass.  They were relatively clean.  1/5 brass casings had a ding or dent on the shoulder but the rest of the casings were undamaged.  All LC nato brass and some other nato brass had chamber markings that looked like 5 or 6 short straight line markings spaced evenly around the shoulder of the brass.  Some didnt have these markings.  From observation, all the primers were seated consistently.  Projectiles were not seated consistently.  All, i guess, were within "acceptable specs" but some were seated a little more than others.  To clarify, i can see more or less bullet crimping in each cartridge.  There were a lot of cartridges that had specks of gunpowder on it.  Literally specks, but still noticeable.

Next, reman 308 168gr bthp and 168gr a-max...
All brass were nato.  MUCH cleaner casings than the above 150gr reman.  Still same ratio of slightly dinged shoulders.  None to very little chamber markings.  Both primers and bullets were all seated consistently.  Each cartridge had same amount of bullet crimp showing.  Overall much nicer and looks practically new with only the dings telling you they're reman.

Finally, NEW .223 69gr and 77gr bthp...
All brass were "CBC 14 5.56" marked.  Brass is pretty much the same as you would get from Lake City, dirty looking.  All primers and bullets were seated in uniform.
Pretty much looks like m193 ammo you would get from federal or LC, except obviously these are heavier bthp projectiles.

Hopefully i can shoot some of it today or tomorrow to check for function and accuracy, so i will report back when i do.

Roy
View Quote

So....how'd it do???  I'm especially interested in the 308 168gr BTHP/Amax rounds.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:33:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Just my experience...
Due to free shipping on my first order, Recently bought 500 rnds each 55 & 62gr FMJ remanufactured and 50 rnds new 77gr BTHP 223. A couple of hundred rounds into the remanufactured with no failures. Couple of days ago happened  upon hogs when loaded up with the 62 FMJ and dropped one DRT.  Emailed Freedom after receiving my order to ask what bullets the 77's were, received a response within a couple of hours answering me they were currently using Hornady. As of now I'm satisfied.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just my experience...
Due to free shipping on my first order, Recently bought 500 rnds each 55 & 62gr FMJ remanufactured and 50 rnds new 77gr BTHP 223. A couple of hundred rounds into the remanufactured with no failures. Couple of days ago happened  upon hogs when loaded up with the 62 FMJ and dropped one DRT.  Emailed Freedom after receiving my order to ask what bullets the 77's were, received a response within a couple of hours answering me they were currently using Hornady. As of now I'm satisfied.
View Quote

I don't think Hornady makes a 77gr BTHP do they? They do make a 75gr.  So, something seems off.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I finally got around to going to the range and i do have some weird results.  
First some backround....
308 rifle used:  SW M&P10, 18" 1-10 twist 5R rifling, free floated, swfa 1-6 hd optic.
5.56 rifle used:  SW M&P15 lower, BCM BFH LW upper, 14.5" 1-7 twist, free floated, mk6 1-6 tmr-d optic.

100 yard range was full today so i did all my testing at 200 yards prone and off my range bag.  Not as stable as i wouldve liked to be but good enough.  Both my rifles are zeroed for 200 yards so i just held dead on.  The reticle in my swfa was much easier to come back to the same poa than my

EDIT:  Just wanted to add these tests are just an "initial impression" and in no way comprehensive in any way.

These were my targets...i only brought those two as paper targets so i did accuracy testing for some other loads on the same target.
http://s6.postimg.org/zdw275tfx/image.jpg

First up, 223 69gr bthp (top target, top-left dot)
http://s6.postimg.org/z2elueczx/image.jpg
A little over 1 moa w/ the flier, a little over 1/2 moa w/o flier.

Next, 223 77gr bthp (top target, top-right & bottom-right dot)
Top-right
http://s6.postimg.org/inp9vkkel/image.jpg
Roughly the same as 69gr, a little over 1 moa with flier, a little over 1/2 moa w/o flier.
Bottom-right
http://s6.postimg.org/jkvp4fvwt/image.jpg
Dk exactly where the flier went, i think it was the one that missed the paper on the right.  The 4 rounds are under 1 moa, probably around 2 moa with the flier on the right.

Incase you're wondering what the middle and bottom-left dots are...middle is hornady 75gr match, bottom-left is fusion 62g bsp.  Dont know if i just rushed it or what but i think they both can be better.

Continued...

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 12:26:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Now 308 168gr bthp (bottom target, bottom-left & bottom-right)
Bottom-left
http://s6.postimg.org/tm54rhydp/image.jpg
Half moa w/o flier, a little over 1 moa w/ flier.  Flier missed paper to the left.

Bottom-right
http://s6.postimg.org/jv37nsaj1/image.jpg
A little over 1/2 moa w/o flier, a little over 1 moa w/ flier.

Now the really interesting results....
308 168gr a-max (bottom target, middle dot & top-right dot)
Top-right
http://s6.postimg.org/uj6ymmki5/image.jpg
Yikes...didnt really measure it but looks like around 1.5-2 moa (3-4 inch group)

Middle dot
http://s6.postimg.org/77iuxj68d/image.jpg
About 1.5 moa (roughly 3 inch group)

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 12:47:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Recap
- Both .223 rounds performed really well, but both had a tendency to have a flier.  Very well could be me also.  Pretty much moa for me and my gun.  I didnt shoot enough to do a full function, but all of 60 rounds went bang, what can i say...
- The 168 gr bthp did very well also, and this time i had the exact same flier in each group.  Without those fliers, this would be sub-moa in my gun.  Again these are 200 yard groups.
- The a-max's just got me wondering what is going on.  I will include this caveat, my m&p 10 was short stroking literally every round on these a-max's.  My m&p will short stroke...sometimes a lot, somtimes a little.  I guess it depends on how hot the round is.  Anyway, its a seperate issue that i think i may have resolved, so we'll see.  Maybe the a-max's are under-powered?  The 150gr fmj's only short stroked 1 out of 5 to 10 rds, which is usual for this gun.  Plus, i ran 30 rds straight with no stoppages right after my "fix".  The gun is a tack driver tho, just sayin'...  Back to the a-max.  I dont know if these are a little under-powered creating bigger groups, or i just sucked these last 2 tests.  I did have to re-adjust each shot b/c i had to re-charge the gun as it wasn't picking up the next round.  I did shoot a 5 rd group of real factory hornady 168gr a-max on a previous day when i traded a fellow range go-er 5 rds of federal gmm 168gr smks.  They grouped extremely well, iirc 3/4" group @ 100yds off the bench.  Either way, both attempts had pretty much the same result so take those for what they're worth.  Also, i shot my last 5 rds of a-max at steel after my "fix" and they all ran.  Picked up each round and held open last shot.

Continued...guess i need to be a team member if i wanna write a book every time

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:56:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Also, shot about 50 rounds of 150gr fmj's (20 rds when gun was short stroking and 30 rds after my fix) and besides the short stroking, i had no failures so far.  Obviously not enough sample size but the recoil did seem consistent to me with each shot producing a wicked fire ball.  Accuracy was ehh....about the same as the a-max, although i did shoot a 5 rd group on top of the middle dot on the top target (where i shot hornady 75gr) and got a decent 4 shot group with a flier that i dk where it went.

I definitely have to go out again with those a-max's.  Either these freedom rounds have a tendency to have a flier every 5 rounds or I'm messing up every 5 rounds. I do think i could shrink those .223 groups down if i had made a bigger aiming point or if i had the swfa reticle on there.  The mk6 tmr reticle is difficult to get super precise.  That's pretty much it...ill update once i get those a-max's back up.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't think Hornady makes a 77gr BTHP do they? They do make a 75gr.  So, something seems off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just my experience...

I don't see it on Hornady's website either....
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#28]
So i took out those a-max's again yesterday.  Last time, none of the rounds cycled, so i thought it was my gun.  Well this time my gun was working flawlessly except on these a-max's.  They were way too under-powered to even cycle the gun.  I had 2 FTE's that were stuck casings which i had to tap out with a cleaning rod.  It would either fail to pick up the next round or "half-way" pick up the next round wedging it in-between the chamber and bolt causing a nice big dent on the shoulder of the casing.  I also noticed that some of the under-powered rounds would group well and some wouldn't.  Thats why the groups opened up the last time i took them out as they were not producing enough oomph to properly stabalize the round thus the groups opening way up.  The ones that did cycle and/or had enough oomph to stabalize the round were extremely accurate.  So the round has potential but they were not loaded correctly.  I emailed freedom so we'll see what happens.  

I also had a stuck casing with the 168gr bthp.  The rest ran fine and were plenty accurate, but i do remember one not locking the bolt back on last round.

These were all shot @ 100 yards.

168gr bthp reman
http://s6.postimg.org/wj7d6nznx/image.jpg
A little over 1 moa with the flier.  Although that could've been me.

Continued..
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 9:14:26 AM EDT
[#29]
This is the 1st a-max group.  Only 1 or 2 did not cycle, but had enough behind it to group decent.
http://s6.postimg.org/rps7fjsjx/image.jpg
A little over an inch group.  Note the 2 separate groups...

The 2nd a-max group.  Most of these did not cycle, but again most had enough behind it to group.
http://s6.postimg.org/8jf0cdc25/image.jpg
Here's 2 separate groups again minus the flier.  Tells me that there are 2 separate powder charges loaded in this ammo, assuming its enough to cycle the gun.

The 3rd a-max group.  These did not cycle of course, but felt noticeably weaker than the rest.  And it shows...
http://s6.postimg.org/pu0tqnebx/image.jpg
Pretty consistent with what happened last time.

Recap:
150gr fmj...still havent had a failure with 40 more rds fired yesterday.  
168 gr bthp...accurate and functions well minus the 1 stuck casing.
168 gr a-max...too light of a load, wont cycle the gun, accuracy suffers because of it.  Waiting for a reply from freedom.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top