Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/6/2015 11:25:14 PM EDT
Those that have a 10.5" barrel or similar length. What's your go to home defense round?

Townhouse, neighbors on both sides.....

Go!
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:33:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Hornady 55gr SP.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:35:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I have Barnes 70gr TSX in my 11.5 for HD.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I use Hornady TAP 75gr 5.56.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:44:44 PM EDT
[#4]
CBC Nato 77gr OTM.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ammunition/rifle-ammunition/223-5-56/cbc-5-56mm-nato-77gr-otm-hpbt-ammunition-50rds-cbc556c.html
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:45:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Black Hills 50gr TSX.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:47:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Just about any JSP or heavy OTM should do pretty damn well at very short ranges.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Black Hills 50gr TSX.
View Quote

This.

If only I could find some for sale from a place that doesn't want $20 for shipping.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:59:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe I'm just getting too old but in my opinion, folks just are way to OCD with this stuff. (and believe me I get that) but I use a 8.2" 300 Blackout subsonic round (FMJ Remington 220g) and the rig is AAC-SDN suppressed. I don't wanna kill my ears or my families ears if the shit goes down. It will definitely do the job.

It's better than trying to beat someone with a bedside lamp and its easily accessible and I have 30 chances.

bolded text for the takeaway here...

(no one lives anywhere near me)

On the other hand I do use exotic stuff in the handguns.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:18:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm just getting too old but in my opinion, folks just are way to OCD with this stuff. (and believe me I get that) but I use a 8.2" 300 Blackout subsonic round (FMJ Remington 220g) and the rig is AAC-SDN suppressed. I don't wanna kill my ears or my families ears if the shit goes down. It will definitely do the job.
View Quote

So despite the fact that proven loads are available that expand over twice the original diameter, you still use a horrible FMJ load that will just poke a .30 cal hole in the bad guy without expanding? Why?

A 22lr is also better than a lamp, but that doesn't make it anywhere near ideal.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:35:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's better than trying to beat someone with a bedside lamp and its easily accessible and I have 30 chances.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why would you use exotic stuff in a handgun and not a rifle?  I rifle is leaps and bounds a better choice for home defense if you can deploy one.  Why would you then not want an excellent performing projo for it as well?  Just wondering.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Black Hills 50gr TSX.

This.

If only I could find some for sale from a place that doesn't want $20 for shipping.

This is what I'd recommend.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:20:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

So you basically use an enormous suppressed handgun for HD.  Why not just get a pistol then?  No sense in having something the size of a rifle if it isn't going to have rifle ballistics.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:22:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So despite the fact that proven loads are available that expand over twice the original diameter, you still use a horrible FMJ load that will just poke a .30 cal hole in the bad guy without expanding? Why?

A 22lr is also better than a lamp, but that doesn't make it anywhere near ideal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subsonic .300Blk, is about the equivalent of using an enormous suppressed pistol, balistically speaking.  I have never seen the point in it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:27:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Subsonic .300Blk, is about the equivalent of using an enormous suppressed pistol, balistically speaking.  I have never seen the point in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess he would rather "play with his food" instead of eliminating the threat as fast as possible, if you noyimsayin.

Bad move IMO. Trust me I don't want to blow my family's eardrums out either, but I'd rather have them half deaf than dead or worse.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:34:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I guess he would rather "play with his food" instead of eliminating the threat as fast as possible, if you noyimsayin.

Bad move IMO. Trust me I don't want to blow my family's eardrums out either, but I'd rather have them half deaf than dead or worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hearing damage thing is overblown (as long as you aren't doing it frequently).  I've fired an AR indoors.  It wasn't even suppressed.  No ear pro either.  It's not the end of the world.  I was hearing ringing for a day or two but nothing permanent.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:45:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The hearing damage thing is overblown.  I've fired an AR indoors.  It wasn't even suppressed.  No ear pro either.  It's not the end of the world.  I was hearing ringing for a day or two but nothing permanent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hearing damage thing is overblown.  I've fired an AR indoors.  It wasn't even suppressed.  No ear pro either.  It's not the end of the world.  I was hearing ringing for a day or two but nothing permanent.

Same here. I have fucked up sensitive ass pussy ass ears tho. Got ear infections my whole life, tubes installed, my ears bleed when i fly during descent etc.

I fired an A2 out of my buddy's second story loft. (Small room) and it fucking sucked ass and I hated life for a couple days. (No earpro)

That being said, I'd much rather make myself and loved ones go through that again than use subsonic ammo, which depending who you ask could either be taken as putting yourself at a disadvantage from the get-go, or maybe even jeopardizing your loved ones safety to an extent.

I'll always take the full powered ear drum blowing fragmenting ass ammunition. No restart button in life.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:55:49 AM EDT
[#16]
TAP SP and I have a can.  It was one of the selling points to the wife.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:26:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Two coupled 30 round mags of xm193 on my 11.5" HD rifle. I don't have close neighbors and use it for varmints pretty regularly, I still need to stock up on some SP ammo at the least though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:50:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Tough crowd in here regarding suppressed subsonic 300 black shorties. I've got plenty of suppressed 5.56 shorties as well, but I can tell you that my 300 black is what I keep within arm's reach at night.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:03:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Tough crowd in here regarding suppressed subsonic 300 black shorties. I've got plenty of suppressed 5.56 shorties as well, but I can tell you that my 300 black is what I keep within arm's reach at night.
View Quote

Here's my train of thought.  You've got a 220gr .30 projectile moving at roughly 950fps.  How is that any different than it being a PCC?

It's smaller in diameter (albeit significantly heavier) than a 9mm projectile and it's also traveling slower.  If you're using a FMJ it's even worse because you're not getting any expansion.

So you've got a weapon the size of a rifle that's roughly equivalent to a 9mm handgun loaded with FMJ ammo.

There are some pretty good reasons why most .mil and LEO have ditched subgubs/PCC's in favor of short rifles.  

A subsonic .300BLK seems like taking a step in the wrong direction (at least in the people shooting realm).  If there's something I'm missing, I'm certainly all ears.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:26:43 AM EDT
[#20]
You have good points that I for the most part agree with. I've done my ballistic homework as well.

Frankly, I keep a 300 black shorty as my bedside AR solely for HD. If I were to venture outside of the house for an engagement or investigation, I'd much rather grab one of my suppressed 5.56 10.3s or 11.5s that I also keep at the ready.

I get the whole who cares about your hearing when your life is on the line mentality. It's just hard to argue against how stupid quiet subsonic suppressed 300 blacks are. And a 220 grain pill being rapidly and accurately tossed at just over 1,000 FPS in close proximity to someone is nothing to be taken lightly.

I really like 300 blacks for HD. With just my 9" barrel and a can, I could likely swiftly neutralize a threat in the hallway without my wife even waking up. And I have no doubt that within those tight quarters, there will be any threat that 9" 300 black wouldn't handle that one of my 5.56s would have.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:42:08 AM EDT
[#21]
MK318
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:39:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Two coupled 30 round mags of xm193 on my 11.5" HD rifle. I don't have close neighbors and use it for varmints pretty regularly, I still need to stock up on some SP ammo at the least though.
View Quote

This is all you need for HD. It is very effective.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:46:32 AM EDT
[#23]
XM193 clones until I come up with something else, although when I get to the 10.5 it's way past SHTF.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I am moving towards Federal MSR Fusion in a 16" M4... (no SBR or suppressor....yet ).  For my HD plans this works, (adding this to the 12ga with 00buck and the G19 with Hydra-Shoks which I have been "using" for years as my HD battery).  I have not shot a lot with this carbine yet, so I am still keeping the scattergun and pistol in service.
To add to something significant to what was actually asked, I have heard /read really good things about the Fusion rounds and I got a 140 more last week from PSA with free shipping.  Came out to about $0.75 a round but cheap enough to stay proficient.  Also, my local Walmarts always seem to have it at $22.00 a box so replacing it is not an issue, grab a box or two every payday.  Try some Fusion and see how it cycles in your gun, there is already quite a bit of anecdotal information available declaring it an effective HD / SD round and it is available.  Get a box and try it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#25]
First the origonal question

Use something expansion based. No M193, no M855, no FMJ. Keep in mind that expansion based rounds may over penatrate compared to m193, but its just the nature of the beast. No perfect exapnding round that won't ever over penetrate. I'd look at some hornday TAP, they make an urban TAP in 55g sort of targeting this niche.

300blk:

I have a pending SBR with a 9" barrel. I don't plan on using it for home defense but I really would. With 110g TSX supersonics its effectiveness in CQB is damn impressive. However I do agree with subsonic 300blk being counter productive. I'd rather wheel around a glock 21 with a supressor than a full sized rifle. Then I get 45 caliber holes, with a good hollow point, and the quiet noise signature. The ability of 300 to go subsonic is neat, but if stopping a threat is truly the only goal, then your going to have to accept a super sonic crack.

If the pure ability to stop a threat isn't the only goal, noise and size are perfectly acceptable reasons to have to compromise, then move to a handgun to get the best of that world. Honsetly this is what I've done. I use a handgun for home defense.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Been doing some research... Seems like hornady tap 75gr, 5.56 is good to go
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The hearing damage thing is overblown (as long as you aren't doing it frequently).  I've fired an AR.  It wasn't even suppressed.  No ear pro either.  It's not the end of the world.  I was hearing ringing for a day or two but nothing permanent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hearing damage thing is overblown (as long as you aren't doing it frequently).  I've fired an AR.  It wasn't even suppressed.  No ear pro either.  It's not the end of the world.  I was hearing ringing for a day or two but nothing permanent.

No, it's really not. Just because you don't hear ringing now, doesn't mean you didn't do damage.

I had 3k dollars worth of tests done to tell me a single shot from my Mk12 unsupressed caused permanent damage, along with tinnitus for the rest of my life. The ENT doc was formerly in the navy and said he treated countless seamen and marines with hearing damage. Just because you don't hear constant ringing now, doesn't mean you aren't causing damage. And you won't know which next shot will fuck it up to where you will notice it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#28]
A light bullet at high speed does wonders on flesh
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why such a heavy bullet for your short barrel? Use something 50-55gr to get the most velocity you can out of it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Hornady 75 grain.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#31]
On thursdays I load the ole mk18 with the SSA 5.56 Barnes 70gr TSX load. Perfect for entertaining and face shooting bitches.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Barnes 62g TSX
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 1:42:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Speer 64g GDSP out of a 12" barrel. If itll drop a big hog over 100 yards away... itll do the job on a long pig within 25 yards out of a 10.5"
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I am moving towards Federal MSR Fusion in a 16" M4... (no SBR or suppressor....yet ).  For my HD plans this works, (adding this to the 12ga with 00buck and the G19 with Hydra-Shoks which I have been "using" for years as my HD battery).  I have not shot a lot with this carbine yet, so I am still keeping the scattergun and pistol in service.
To add to something significant to what was actually asked, I have heard /read really good things about the Fusion rounds and I got a 140 more last week from PSA with free shipping.  Came out to about $0.75 a round but cheap enough to stay proficient.  Also, my local Walmarts always seem to have it at $22.00 a box so replacing it is not an issue, grab a box or two every payday.  Try some Fusion and see how it cycles in your gun, there is already quite a bit of anecdotal information available declaring it an effective HD / SD round and it is available.  Get a box and try it.
View Quote

They were my go to in my 14.5 until I found some BH for my 10.3" SBR.  Doc Roberts said the Fusion bullets come straight from the Gold Dot line.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I use Hornady TAP 75gr 5.56.
View Quote

I use it as well for HD.

OP, take a look at the TSX series of bullets as well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The hearing damage thing is overblown (as long as you aren't doing it frequently). I've fired an AR indoors.  It wasn't even suppressed.  No ear pro either.  It's not the end of the world.  I was hearing ringing for a day or two but nothing permanent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hearing damage thing is overblown (as long as you aren't doing it frequently). I've fired an AR indoors.  It wasn't even suppressed.  No ear pro either.  It's not the end of the world.  I was hearing ringing for a day or two but nothing permanent.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#38]
I use PPU 75 gr BTHP.

As above, almost any 55-69 gr soft point or 68-77 gr OTM/BTHP will work really well. Choose something that your rifle likes and that you can buy a lot of for testing and training.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Doesn't xm193 have a 40-45m reliable fragmentation range when fired from an 11.5" barrel?
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Black Hills 50gr TSX.
View Quote

This is the best
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
MK318
View Quote

+1
This is what i use.

But honetly unless they are wearing body armor or are hiding behind cover any 5.56 will do some serious damage and make someone think twice about stealing your blue ray collection.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Why such a heavy bullet for your short barrel? Use something 50-55gr to get the most velocity you can out of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because heavier bullets lose a smaller percentage of velocity when fired from a short barrel than lighter bullets and heavier bullets have a lower fragmentation threshold. They also tend to have a better BC so they keep their velocity further down range.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#43]
I like the heavy OTMs, because they are non barrier blind. Especially MK62 and T2 TAP. I also like the PPU 75gr. If I were not wanting non barrier blind, I would go with a 50 or 53 TSX, Gold Dot, 62 Fusion. There are other I am forgetting about.

Most brand name defense ammo will do the job. Just don't get caught up in the crazy stuff.

Here is some I tested a year or so back. Just stuff I had laying around. Out of my 10.5" barrel.

It should say 75gr PPU.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:14:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Another vote for Speer Gold Dot 64 gr. .223 in my Mk18.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:29:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This is the best
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Black Hills 50gr TSX.

This is the best

I have that for my suppressed 12.5" rifle.  Wondering if finding some 70gr TSX is worth it as well.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#46]
77gr black hills TMK - a member did a gel test, and it was devastating even out of an 11" barrel.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a difference between ignorance and stupidity.

Yooz got the ignorance...

So, if'n you want to learn the truth, start using Google on the:

A) 77gr with cannelure 5.56mm fodder
B) Why the HSLD guys dragged their asses {to the point of ignoring the command to return}
on returning their 10.5" 6.8mmx43 uppers

Just those two items will make you wealthy on the subject.

Best to you.

Or give a shoutout to DocGKR.  He's a nice guy {unlike me}.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
77gr black hills TMK - a member did a gel test, and it was devastating even out of an 11" barrel.
View Quote

Yeah, but that guy's a dick.

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/qXBU03vdr2Q
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/qXBU03vdr2Q

Yeah that guy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:30:56 AM EDT
[#50]
There are MANY good choices for a SBR for home defense.  But there is some ignorance or mis-information in this thread as well.  Penetration is vital in this application.  If you get a 350lbs meth-head busting down your door, wearing leather jacket or multiple layers of denim, you got to be able to punch through that stuff in order to reliably stop him.

Good choices:
-Heavy OTM rounds (75-77gr, but 68-69 also work if your twist won't handle the heavies).  These will reliably fragment down to fairly low velocities, and the fragments are still heavy enough to penetrate the FBI standard of 12-18" in ballistic gel.
-Bonded JSP rounds 55-64gr.  These penetrate well.  These are your typical hunting bullets (deer size game and up).
-TSX bullets 50-62gr.  With the 50r TSX from Black Hills, it is designed to hold up and not break off petals as much when going through intermediate barriers like windshield glass, furniture, doors, etc.  The higher velocity of the 50gr projo also give it great terminal performance and penetration, makes up for some of the shortened performance range typical of SBRS.

Bad choices:
-FMJ of any type.  These are much more unreliable at fragmenting properly.  Often all they do is punch little .22 cal holes in stuff, particularly on skinny targets.
-Rapidly expanding "varmint"-type bullets.  These will rapidly "explode" in the tissue at shallow depths.  If they hit any significant bone, they are much less likely to penetrate it.  If they meet an obstacle like a thick leather or denim jacket, they tend to "splash on the surface of the target, leaving a gaping flesh wound, but not hitting vital structures underneath.  They were designed for prarie dogs and coyotes, not larger animals.
-"Frangible" bullets.  These are even worse than varmint bullets for the same reasons.

Nutshell: FMJ bullets were designed for military use and their lethality was purposely limited by the Hague Conventions.  Varmint bullets are for varmints.  Humans are a lot more like a deer sized target, so choose an appropriate bullet you would use to take a deer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top