Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/4/2015 3:29:02 PM EDT
Has anyone used it? I'm going on a boar hunt soon and was wondering if it is any good. I don't care for the topic of 223 isn't a big enough round. The boar do not get very large in my area.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Seems like it does alright!  

Fusion is also a good choice against hogs.  Any of the big brand bonded soft points will do well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Works very well on hogs and deer.  Expect about 20" of penetration, full expansion within 1.5" of entry and good accuracy.  It is a 223 not 5.56 load so velocity is moderate, 3,000 fps with a 20" bbl.  Expect full expansion to 300+ yards.

P
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:09:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT0gZtT66C8

Seems like it does alright!  

Fusion is also a good choice against hogs.  Any of the big brand bonded soft points will do well.
View Quote

Although the above video showed excellent penetration for the 62GR. TSX Hog Hammer load fired from the 7.5" barrel, I would rate the overall terminal performance as marginal due to the low impact velocity. Water-shot testing at Barnes showed that the 50/55/62GR. TSX/TTSX bullets available to handloaders all require a minimum of approx. 1900 FPS impact velocity on flesh & bone targets to expand at all so you really want the bullet to strike with at least 200 FPS above the minimum to get full 2X plus diameter expansion. The 70GR. TSX only requires a minimum of 1800 FPS to expand. With the chrono in the video showing only 2090 FPS MV for the Remington .223 pressure 62GR. Hog Hammer, that test shot probably did not achieve full expansion even at the muzzle of that ultra-short 7.5" barrel. I would expect quite a bit better terminal performance from a 7.5" barrel by using a lighter (faster) TSX bullet such as the standard 50GR. or 55GR. TSX at .223 pressure, by using a 5.56MM pressure 62GR. TSX loading as capitolP alluded to above, or by using a different bullet with a lower expansion threshold. No worries with the .223 pressure 62GR. Hog Hammer load when using a 14.5" or longer barrel but I would still prefer a 5.56MM pressure TSX load for increased terminal performance/range. HTH

EDIT for 5.56MM pistol shooters: The 708 FPS difference in MV between the 223 pressure 62GR. TSX Hog Hammer fired from a 7.5"  (2090 FPS) and the 5.56MM pressure 62GR. TSX fired from a 10" (2798 FPS) affords a HUGE difference in terminal performance/effective range.

5.56MM 62GR. TSX water-shot expansion tests from 10" Barrel:

EDIT for reference: BHA 5.56MM 62GR. TSX load made 2490 FPS from an 8.5" barrel so will still have the 1900 FPS needed for expansion out to just past 200 yds. Plenty good!

EDIT for reference: BHA's data on their 5.56MM 50GR. TSX proprietary bullet load shows 2634 FPS from an 8" barrel, 3105 FPS from a 14.5" barrel, & 3310 FPS from a 20" barrel. The proprietary BHA 50GR. TSX bullet is NOT the same as the 50GR. TSX available to handloads. All TSX bullets are pretty tough to begin with but the BHA 50Gr. TSX bullet has been further "hardened" for use against barriers so requires a minimum of 2300 FPS impact velocity to expand.

BHA 5.56MM 50GR. TSX gel Shots from 8"/14.5"/20" barrels:

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top