Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/26/2015 8:08:16 PM EDT
Looks like 1 out of 5 is tracer linked ammo.  Looking for value as a range round if I can pick up cheap.
Hope the link works.
http://www.dandesales.com/D%26E_Sales/danpic.html#11
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Your link just "stalls out / locks up my computer".... just an FYI.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#2]
sorry about that.  I can't grab the pic.
The can says
Twin Cities  1952
ball m2
tracerm25
250 rd link belt
4 ball m2   1 tracer m25
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Best thing to do is go to the CMP Estore and price the ammo there.  If you can get the linked stuff cheap[er, sure.  Make sure you factor in the value of the links, pulling the tracers, etc.

ETA: Got into the website.  I would fo - hard - on some of that stuff in that auction.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:23:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Try searching for .30-06 instead.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Might want to check the web, because some US .30-06 was still corrosive primed into the early 1950s. Plus the tracer rounds probably won't trace 100% if that was part of your interest. Also, ammunition selected for link packing often was of lower accuracy quality than that put up in boxes or on clips.

1DD
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I would only be interested in it for cheap range ammo.  It is quite old and don't know if it's worth the gamble.
YES, there are quite a number of things I am interested in at this auction.  Poor pics so it is hard to do any research in advance.  That Parker Bros. side by side looks interesting as well as a few knives.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:49:26 AM EDT
[#8]
thanks for that link.
Is there any way to identify non corrosive?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:57:04 AM EDT
[#9]
to answer my own question...looks like there is no easy way other than to fire a round and look at the inside of the primer in the casing.
I don't think I will be taking the chance on this ammo.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:11:53 AM EDT
[#10]
One last comment.  Most ranges do not like tracer ammo because of the fire potential.  

Foot
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:21:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One last comment.  Most ranges do not like tracer ammo because of the fire potential.  

Foot
View Quote

Thanks for the comment.  I was aware of that.

One resource I read stated twin cities last date of corrosive ammo was:

"As stated on the CMP website, all Twin Cities ammo head stamped 1951 and newer is non corrosive."

One more question, any 30-.06 will fire in any 30-.06 rifle, correct?

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

"As stated on the CMP website, all Twin Cities ammo head stamped 1951 and newer is non corrosive."

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Foot

Correct ... with one or two exceptions... Hornady Light Magnum ( discontinued )  and Superformance, I personally would not fire those two in a Garand. A modern bolt action should not have any issues those two.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#13]
This would be for a Remington 7400.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This would be for a Remington 7400.
View Quote

I would certainly not fire the Hornady Light Magnum or Superformance in your Rem 7400.... it might be fine... but, to me it is not worth the risk. Broken parts for the sake of a few more fps is not worth it.

Not to mention your Rem. was designed to operate with conventional 30.06 ammo.

You might consider e-mailing Hornady if you want.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:56:17 AM EDT
[#17]
thanks all  for your help.  From what I've read and seen corrosive ammo is a B!

One last question for those that have seen the ammo.  Do you think the ammo will have more of a collector value or range ammo value?  I'd be in for range use.  Any idea of a value range of this ammo?
If I read the description there is a box labeled 1000 rounds.  I guessing there are 4 cans of 250.  They will probably sell each can individually.  I also read the tracer ammo may lose a bit of it's "tracer" factor over time.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I would buy to shoot it...most of it.  Yeah, I'd probably keep maybe 50 rounds plus the tracer until I found a place to shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I would buy to shoot it...most of it.  Yeah, I'd probably keep maybe 50 rounds plus the tracer until I found a place to shoot it.
View Quote

For me, value for the TW non tracer would be about equal to the current cost of CMP HXP ammo, delivered.

But then I'd need to figure my time and effort to de-link it all so I could use it in my rifles.

Tracer and links might be of value to some, and might be worth absolutely nothing to others. Personally I'd pass unless I had a 1919 to feed and lived in a state that was green enough to not catch on fire, unless they were giving it away.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#21]
If I recall correctly from when I viewed your link, it is in a "modern" 30-cal can as it is post-War ammo.  Shootable, not collectible.  WWII ammo in a WWII can would be collectible.  Tracers are generally useless, but you can likely get someone to buy them for $1 each.

A few years ago (okay...in 2006) cans of linked TC52 ball (no tracers) were sold by Sportsman's Guide cheap because they listed it as corrosive.  But I knew better and bought 6 cans of 250 rounds for $60 a can.  Some day it will make my semi-auto M1919 happy.

Rob
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:17:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for that info, Rob.
I'll update the post and let you know what it goes for after the auction.

When you say the tracers are generally useless, what do you mean?  They don't work or no where to shoot?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:54:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I mean generally can't shoot them at a range and wouldn't want to shoot them in the woods due to fire danger.  If you have a big gravel pit, you might be safe.  But for general purposes for civilians, they aren't worth the headache.  Now if you are a full auto shooter and/or attend machine gun shoots, then you could maybe have some fun (find Youtube videos of Knob Creek MG shoots).  Oh...and there is a fair chance they won't light anymore.  The only tracers I've fired were .30 Carbine and the few I shot either didn't light at all, or just started before hitting the berm at 100 yards.

Rob

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top