Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/23/2015 4:29:18 PM EDT
I've ran a few boxes of the Federal aluminum cased 9mm through my PPS43c without issue. But now I'm reading all these post about not using it in blow back weapons as it can blow them up. Can anyone confirm, before I run this in my AR 9mm ? Has anyone ran a lot of it through a uzi or AR 9mm ? -Thanks
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think that you have to worry about it blowing up.

I have experience with about 4 different AR15 carbines, (well, one was a subgun owned by a friend of mine).

None of the 4 was reliable with Blazer aluminum cased cartridges, though I have had good reliability with that cartridge from several different handguns.

I didn't keep count, but I will estimate about a 25% failure rate when using Blazer.  The bolt wouldn't come back far enough to successfully eject the shell, or pick up a new cartridge from the magazine.  Perhaps a lighter buffer would have helped.

Not knocking aluminum cased ammunition at all.  It looks like good range ammunition, but maybe not for ARs.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#2]
My 9mm carbine doesn't like aluminum cased ammo - it tends to shred the cases which jams the gun.  It works fine in my 9mm pistols though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#3]
My 9mm carbine hates aluminum cased ammo too. I've tried a 9mm buffer as well as a standard carbine buffer. No likey.

Steel case ammo works fine.

Aluminum works fine in all my pistols though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#4]
A 9mm carbine and two 9mm pistols. None of them like it. Tried different buffer weights....
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't reload aluminum cases and all I fire are reloads.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've ran a few boxes of the Federal aluminum cased 9mm through my PPS43c without issue. But now I'm reading all these post about not using it in blow back weapons as it can blow them up. Can anyone confirm, before I run this in my AR 9mm ? Has anyone ran a lot of it through a uzi or AR 9mm ? -Thanks
View Quote

Hi,

Aluminum will run in an UZI, one year when I shot the "Jungle Walk" at Knob Creek,, the loaner UZI used 9mm Blazer Aluminum.  I do remember though noticing the UZI cycled noticeably slower.  The problem is that with arms with a lighter bolt like the Kel Tec Sub 2000 and MAC 11 can unlock far enough under presure to rupture a aluminum case, brass and steel being stronger don't rupture.  This rupturing of Aluminum cases isn't a regular occurance in blow back arms, but happens enough that there is a warning.

Best Regards:  
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I ran a few hundred rounds of Federal Aluminum thru my AR 9mm without issue before reading about the potential problems. It's probably safer NOT to run aluminum than it is to run it I can get brass case for about $1 than aluminum... not worth the risk running it out of my AR.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top