Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How does M193 do on the hogs at what ranges?  You mention they perform the same as 7N6 roughly.  Both in terms of permanent cavity and penetration?  If M193 and 7N6 fail roughly 25% of the time, what would you say the failure is with M855 since you mentioned it's slightly worse?  Does distance effect the failure figures at all from your experience with any of these rounds?

How does the fusion perform?  

Have you tried Fiocchi's 55 grain psp round?  

What in your experience is the top performing 5.56 / .223 round?

Have you tried any of the old Norinco or Tula .223?  Rumor has it that for some reason they have a habit of yawing violently and early like a 7N6 round.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've shot lots of stuff (mostly hogs and yotes) with 5.45.  The Wolf FMJ is junk, it pokes 5.45 holes straight through, and they don't do much damage.  7N6 is MUCH better.  Sometimes it is devastating, sometimes not so much.  It is equivalent to M193 in my experience.  

The Hornady load is my favorite.  In my experience, it always expands and produces significant wounds, and holds together better than expected.  It has always penetrated through and through on coyotes, with the exception of one frontal shot which left him DRT.  It often penetrates through and through on hogs, but not always.  I'd guess it gives 10-14" of penetration from a 16" tube @100 yards.  I'm not sure why it penetrates so well, it acts more like an SST than a Vmax.  Maybe the added weight slows it down enough to keep it from exploding?  At any rate, it is very consistent, much more so than 7N6 or M193.

How does M193 do on the hogs at what ranges?  You mention they perform the same as 7N6 roughly.  Both in terms of permanent cavity and penetration?  If M193 and 7N6 fail roughly 25% of the time, what would you say the failure is with M855 since you mentioned it's slightly worse?  Does distance effect the failure figures at all from your experience with any of these rounds?

How does the fusion perform?  

Have you tried Fiocchi's 55 grain psp round?  

What in your experience is the top performing 5.56 / .223 round?

Have you tried any of the old Norinco or Tula .223?  Rumor has it that for some reason they have a habit of yawing violently and early like a 7N6 round.

EatBeef, can you comment on this post please?

Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#2]
GH Porter, apologies, I thought you were trying to be obstinate, so I became argumentative.  I flat ignored much of what you posted, but yes, steel jackets can frag.  I don't have much experience with 5.56 steel jackets, but in 308 they frag frequently.  I don't know if it is because the steel is more brittle or what.  I do know I've found jacket pieces that fragmented along the lines left by the rifling in steel jackets.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:08:54 AM EDT
[#3]
All this bantering back and forth - the difference between a high end HD specific round and 7n6 (or any surplus) is negligible when talking about home defense.

A rifle round... no... multiple rifle rounds at close range will ruin your day the same. Let's stop this gel nonsense with every damn round, every thread here turns into a gel contest and bickering.

7n6 is PLENTY effective and will kill you just as dead. OP wants to know a good HD round and 7n6 is an outstanding choice.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:43:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
All this bantering back and forth - the difference between a high end HD specific round and 7n6 (or any surplus) is negligible when talking about home defense.

A rifle round... no... multiple rifle rounds at close range will ruin your day the same. Let's stop this gel nonsense with every damn round, every thread here turns into a gel contest and bickering.

7n6 is PLENTY effective and will kill you just as dead. OP wants to know a good HD round and 7n6 is an outstanding choice.
View Quote

OK lets ignore any measurable  or quantifiable attributes of cartridges and lets debate with our feelings.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:15:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

OK lets ignore any measurable  or quantifiable attributes of cartridges and lets debate with our feelings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not really about feeling, it is just people get too wrapped around the axels about things like fragmentation etc,  Smalls arms hits to the torso are generally highly debilitating if not lethal even if fragmentation does not occur.  In AFG and Iraq there have been numerous people killed by the so called ice pick type wounds by 5.56.

The problem of lack of instant stopping has more to do with shot placement, who is shot and not understand even the "best performing" bullet shot against someone with a will to resist or on drugs will perform worse than the "worst performing" bullet against someone with less will.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

So, you wouldn't mind being shot with it?

The thing about gel-tests is people are made of blocks of ballistic gel. They have bone as stuff, they feel pain and get scared.

So, while shooting gel is a good way to compare things, it is not good at judging "effectiveness".  Short of shooting up cadavers, and that can be debated, there really is no laboratory method of judging effectiveness....
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OP wants to know a good HD round and 7n6 is an outstanding choice.
View Quote

As the OP, though, I specifically excluded 7N6 because it is now banned. The ban is almost certainly forever, as to my knowledge no administration has ever reversed an import ban that had been implemented by a previous administration via "reinterpretation" of existing law, not even GOP administrations reversing bans by previous Dem administrations, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Obama's (assumed) GOP successor to reverse the ban (and certainly Hillary won't, if things break her way).  7N6 is therefore highly likely to dry up in the near future,  So, the effectiveness of 7N6 is kinda beside the point, since it will soon be as missing from LGS & online vendor inventories as a "phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range".  

The question was whether any load that will presumably remain available is terminally effective enough to make 5.45x39mm a viable defensive carbine caliber for non-LE civilian use.  It sounds like if anything fits the bill it's the Hornady 60gr V-Max load, but Zhukov's point is well taken that there hasn't been a lot of incentive for the usual suspects to develop high performance loads for this caliber as they do for common LE and US military calibers.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As the OP, though, I specifically excluded 7N6 because it is now banned. The ban is almost certainly forever, as to my knowledge no administration has ever reversed an import ban that had been implemented by a previous administration via "reinterpretation" of existing law, not even GOP administrations reversing bans by previous Dem administrations, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Obama's (assumed) GOP successor to reverse the ban (and certainly Hillary won't, if things break her way).  7N6 is therefore highly likely to dry up in the near future,  So, the effectiveness of 7N6 is kinda beside the point, since it will soon be as missing from LGS & online vendor inventories as a "phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range".  

The question was whether any load that will presumably remain available is terminally effective enough to make 5.45x39mm a viable defensive carbine caliber for non-LE civilian use.  It sounds like if anything fits the bill it's the Hornady 60gr V-Max load, but Zhukov's point is well taken that there hasn't been a lot of incentive for the usual suspects to develop high performance loads for this caliber as they do for common LE and US military calibers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP wants to know a good HD round and 7n6 is an outstanding choice.

Exactamundo.  I love 5.45, I've been a big fan of it for years, but it just doesn't have the support the 5.56 has.  I find it highly unlikely it will ever catch up WRT bullet design and availability.  If it ever does, it will at best equal 5.56, not surpass it.

For home defense, I want the deck stacked as far in my favor as possible.  (Hence I don't use 5.45 OR 5.56.)
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Measuring ammunition performance isn't a black-and-white proposition; it's more of a shades-of-grey type of deal. Any bullet that punches a hole through you has the potential do kill you. That doesn't mean that some aren't BETTER than others. Non-fragmenting FMJ bullets simply don't perform as well as others. If given a CHOICE, I would never pick one over something better; I like stacking the odds in my favor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not really about feeling, it is just people get too wrapped around the axels about things like fragmentation etc,  Smalls arms hits to the torso are generally highly debilitating if not lethal even if fragmentation does not occur.  In AFG and Iraq there have been numerous people killed by the so called ice pick type wounds by 5.56.

The problem of lack of instant stopping has more to do with shot placement, who is shot and not understand even the "best performing" bullet shot against someone with a will to resist or on drugs will perform worse than the "worst performing" bullet against someone with less will.  

Measuring ammunition performance isn't a black-and-white proposition; it's more of a shades-of-grey type of deal. Any bullet that punches a hole through you has the potential do kill you. That doesn't mean that some aren't BETTER than others. Non-fragmenting FMJ bullets simply don't perform as well as others. If given a CHOICE, I would never pick one over something better; I like stacking the odds in my favor.

It is more people wanting technical solutions to non-technical problems, short of destruction of the CNS if is very hard to stop someone with the will to continue to fight.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It is more people wanting technical solutions to non-technical problems, short of destruction of the CNS if is very hard to stop someone with the will to continue to fight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. While training is the best solution, unfortunately its expensive and time consuming while technical discussions are not.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:24:46 AM EDT
[#13]
For home defense, I want the deck stacked as far in my favor as possible. (Hence I don't use 5.45 OR 5.56.)

<<<THIS>>>>

I just hope that either you are a perfect shot in the dark or you don't have any neighbors close to you because any rifle round, no matter what the performance will most certainly go through walls.
That's just my 2cents
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:45:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For home defense, I want the deck stacked as far in my favor as possible. (Hence I don't use 5.45 OR 5.56.)

<<<THIS>>>>

I just hope that either you are a perfect shot in the dark or you don't have any neighbors close to you because any rifle round, no matter what the performance will most certainly go through walls.
That's just my 2cents
View Quote

5.56 penetrates less than any handgun round or buckshot after going through an intermediate wall hence its actually safer for your neighbors if you are shooting your AR.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:22:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Interesting graphic, but what is the distance between the gun and the gel for those penetration patterns?  10 feet?  8 feet?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Interesting graphic, but what is the distance between the gun and the gel for those penetration patterns?  10 feet?  8 feet?
View Quote

Unless you're a famous rapper, you don't have a distance within your home that will change the external or terminal ballistics of any of those rounds.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I was thinking more of closer distances rather than farther.  If the gel tests were at even 20 yards, there could be some important differences at 20 FEET that the tests didn't reveal.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Nope. 10 feet more wouldn't make any difference.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

5.56 penetrates less than any handgun round or buckshot after going through an intermediate wall hence its actually safer for your neighbors if you are shooting your AR.

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/DocGKRData/WoundProfilesAfterWallBarrier.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<<<THIS>>>>

That's just my 2cents

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/DocGKRData/WoundProfilesAfterWallBarrier.jpg

If you are in an apartment that's one thing.  I can't hit my nearest neighbor's house with a shotgun or pistol if I'm standing on my front porch.  Once it penetrates an exterior wall?  Not an issue for me, and I'd be shocked if it is an issue for the average householder in America.  There is a heck of a lot of difference between penetrating two pieces of sheetrock and hitting a block of gel verses penetrating an exterior wall, crossing the street, penetrating another exterior wall, then hitting a block of gel.

Yes, I know the next argument is what if your neighbor is standing in front of his house, etc., but what if you hit a window with your 5.56?  He's still dead.  

There just isn't a way to make a bullet deadly and safe at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Agreed. While training is the best solution, unfortunately its expensive and time consuming while technical discussions are not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually not.  The effectiveness of the weapon or ammunition is essentially an independent variable, except to the extent that weapon & ammunition characteristics improve the likelihood of a well-placed shot.  Mostly independent, though, or the military & LE would just issue .22 rimfires and divert the money saved into training.  However, it seems inevitable that in any discussion of gear somebody will come along and assert that it doesn't matter and the participants should just go train (as if generally people reading and writing posts on the internet are to any significant degree doing so when they could be at the range shooting, much less training under a skilled instructor).

Not that I have anything against training, as I've certainly spent my share of vacation time & money attending classes and recreational time & money practicing what the classes taught at the local range.  However, the desirability of training in no way invalidates the desire to select good gear, or the discussion of the merits of certain gear available to be selected.  If my question was who teaches the best class for tactical employment of a 5.45x39mm carbine, I'd have asked it in a forum appropriate to that question (and in fact I have, generically RE AK training in general).  This is an ammunition forum, though, so what I asked here was my ammunition question not my training question.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 5:06:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Actually not.  The effectiveness of the weapon or ammunition is essentially an independent variable, except to the extent that weapon & ammunition characteristics improve the likelihood of a well-placed shot.  Mostly independent, though, or the military & LE would just issue .22 rimfires and divert the money saved into training.  However, it seems inevitable that in any discussion of gear somebody will come along and assert that it doesn't matter and the participants should just go train (as if generally people reading and writing posts on the internet are to any significant degree doing so when they could be at the range shooting, much less training under a skilled instructor).

Not that I have anything against training, as I've certainly spent my share of vacation time & money attending classes and recreational time & money practicing what the classes taught at the local range.  However, the desirability of training in no way invalidates the desire to select good gear, or the discussion of the merits of certain gear available to be selected.  If my question was who teaches the best class for tactical employment of a 5.45x39mm carbine, I'd have asked it in a forum appropriate to that question (and in fact I have, generically RE AK training in general).  This is an ammunition forum, though, so what I asked here was my ammunition question not my training question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once you have seen a couple dozen guys shot, you come to realize there are no magic bullets.  I have seen Iraqis shot with IP issued soft points keep fight, while other get hit with FMJs go down instantly, I have seen, enough 855, 262, 995 and M80 hits to know that the human being shot is bigger variable than what they are shot with.  There was even a guy in Kandahar in 08 who took a RPG that dud-ed out and lodged in his chest who continued to fight until he bled to death.  If an 80mm hole the chest did not instantly stop him, you think if that same person got hit with a round that gave 2-3 mm more destruction would have made a difference?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Once you have seen a couple dozen guys shot, you come to realize there are no magic bullets.  I have seen Iraqis shot with IP issued soft points keep fight, while other get hit with FMJs go down instantly, I have seen, enough 855, 262, 995 and M80 hits to know that the human being shot is bigger variable than what they are shot with.  There was even a guy in Kandahar in 08 who took a RPG that dud-ed out and lodged in his chest who continued to fight until he bled to death.  If an 80mm hole the chest did not instantly stop him, you think if that same person got hit with a round that gave 2-3 mm more destruction would have made a difference?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing is ever 100%, but that doesn't make everything equal because none of them are 100%.  Some stuff is clearly more likely to work than others.  Some stuff works well enough a high enough percentage of the time to be reasonably considered "adequate" (although the exact definition of "adequate" is debatable), even though it is not 100% and therefore with 5-7 digits worth of people being shot annually worldwide there are no doubt a large number of incidents of failure that can be cited.,  Other stuff doesn't pass that criteria, even though there are no doubt a large number of incidents that could be cited wherein the caliber did work.  I'm personally satisfied that no load ever developed puts .22LR on the right side of that line (although you can buy both AR's & AK's so chambered).  I'm similarly satisfied that there are readily available (and presumably remaining so for the foreseeable future) loads that put 5.56mm NATO, 7.62x39mm and 7.62 NATO on the right side of the line.  The point of starting the thread was to establish where 5.45x39mm (with available non-banned loads) falls with respect to the "adequacy" line.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Nothing is ever 100%, but that doesn't make everything equal because none of them are 100%.  Some stuff is clearly more likely to work than others.  Some stuff works well enough a high enough percentage of the time to be reasonably considered "adequate" (although the exact definition of "adequate" is debatable), even though it is not 100% and therefore with 5-7 digits worth of people being shot annually worldwide there are no doubt a large number of incidents of failure that can be cited.,  Other stuff doesn't pass that criteria, even though there are no doubt a large number of incidents that could be cited wherein the caliber did work.  I'm personally satisfied that no load ever developed puts .22LR on the right side of that line (although you can buy both AR's & AK's so chambered).  I'm similarly satisfied that there are readily available (and presumably remaining so for the foreseeable future) loads that put 5.56mm NATO, 7.62x39mm and 7.62 NATO on the right side of the line.  The point of starting the thread was to establish where 5.45x39mm (with available non-banned loads) falls with respect to the "adequacy" line.
View Quote

But the problem still remains that you are attempting to solve a somewhat non-solvable problem with a technical solution.  Yes there are rounds will create a slight marginal increase in damage, but is the marginal increase in damage within a caliber going to stop a determined advisory?  Often no, it won't because their will to continue or drug induced state will only be stopped when they bleed to death, their CNS is destroy or a structural item required for movement is destroyed.  

To illustrate this have you ever hunted deer before?  Have you ever seen of or heard of the cases where the perfect shot occurs and the deer's heart is shredded yet it runs away?  Do you think in that case a marginal increase in performance will create any different effect?   Do you think two legged mammals are that much different?  Sometimes you get lucky and who or what you shoot just gives up and sometimes you are not lucky and you just need to destroy the CNS,  open as many holes in them as fast as possible to speed the bleeding or increase the odds of causing explosive bone hits that prevent movement.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:42:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Guy up here took out a brown bear that was charging him with a half a magazine of 5.45. I was like Who carries a 5.45 AK in the woods???

The writer is obviously a wuss but facts still stand guy dropped a charging grizzly with a 5.45 AK.
http://www.adn.com/article/20130731/another-hiker-shot-alaska-bear-dead-cue-pointless-debates
http://www.adn.com/article/20130731/another-hiker-shot-alaska-bear-dead-cue-pointless-debates
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#26]
I shot a big midwestern deer thru the heart and lungs once.  the massive 12 ga. Brenneke slug destroyed the left shoulder/leg socket.

She crumpled, folded up like a card table, but when she heard me, it got  up and ran like hell about 150yds.

When I went to pull her out. the left front leg began to pull apart like a fully cooked chicken leg.

How she ran like that on 3 legs was amazing.

Another year, I hit a big doe at close range with a hot 240gr gold-dot hand load( 24gr. W296 @1405fps), she didn't even break stride, just slowly walked down into a creekbed and expired.

Others seemed to be hit with thor's hammer, and drop like a rock.

Hollywood action movies have overblown peoples expectations of what bullets do
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top